Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question about the evil Googlegroups headers

Reply
Thread Tools

Question about the evil Googlegroups headers

 
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
Hi gang,

I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil encroachment
of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.

Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's stupid
headers.

I have for a variety of irrelevant reasons, checked the headers
of various GG posts.

They all say something like:

Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
posting-host=64.12.116.133;
posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

The first two lines are different according to where the message
was posted from, like:
Injection-Info: y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com;
posting-host=64.12.117.7

but the posting-account is always the sane:
ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
his/her own account? Isn't that the point of having the account
in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is it always the
same?

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
t.

(Oh, and BTW, death to Googlegroups.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
On 03 Oct 2007 17:30:46 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi gang,
>
>I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil encroachment
>of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.
>
>Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's stupid
>headers.
>
>I have for a variety of irrelevant reasons, checked the headers
>of various GG posts.
>
>They all say something like:
>
>Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
>posting-host=64.12.116.133;
>posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>
>The first two lines are different according to where the message
>was posted from, like:
>Injection-Info: y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com;
>posting-host=64.12.117.7
>
>but the posting-account is always the sane:
>ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>
>I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
>his/her own account? Isn't that the point of having the account
>in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is it always the
>same?
>
>Does anyone know?


To post via GG, you need a e-mail address - valid. You cannot use
someone@invalid. To sign up, you need to receive an e-mail to that
address, then click on the link. All your posts come from that address
(unless they changed it). So tracking down the idiot who posted isn't
a big deal.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
On 2007-10-03, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil encroachment
> of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.
>
> Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's stupid
> headers.
>
> I have for a variety of irrelevant reasons, checked the headers
> of various GG posts.
>
> They all say something like:
>
> Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
> posting-host=64.12.116.133;
> posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>
> The first two lines are different according to where the message
> was posted from, like:
> Injection-Info: y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com;
> posting-host=64.12.117.7
>
> but the posting-account is always the sane:
> ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>
> I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
> his/her own account? Isn't that the point of having the account
> in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is it always the
> same?
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Thanks.
> t.
>
> (Oh, and BTW, death to Googlegroups.)


I'm sure the 'posting account' used to be different for each googler.
Perhaps this is just something else that Google have managed to break?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
thanatoid wrote:

> Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's stupid
> headers.


> but the posting-account is always the sane:
> ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0


I don't understand your question. Do you have an example of 2 messages
from what appears to be 2 different google accounts which have the same
posting-account code? I don't think that should be. Can you give the
message ID of the two messages you are using as an example?

The NPH examples you were giving were two different AOL proxy IPs --
which could have multiple different accounts accessing by the same IP or
type of IP and which could have the same GG identity accessing by
different but similar AOL proxy IPs.

> I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
> his/her own account?


The GGer is required to login to their GG account using their pw. If
the pass is secure and unshared, then 2 different 'entities' (to be
defined) should not be having the same GG From email address.

> Isn't that the point of having the account
> in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is it always the
> same?


What do you mean 'always the same'? I don't see same posting account
code for different entities. You could see the same Injection-Info ie
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
thanatoid wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil encroachment
> of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.


Filter on one of these:

Organization: http://groups.google.com

X-Trace: posting.google.com

X-Complaints-To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

User-Agent: G2/1.0

> They all say something like:
>
> Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
> posting-host=64.12.116.133;
> posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0


Discussed here recently. The posting-account seems to always be the
same, possibly indicating a Google posting server...

> (Oh, and BTW, death to Googlegroups.)


Amen.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's
>> stupid headers.

>
>> but the posting-account is always the sane:
>> ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

>
> I don't understand your question. Do you have an example
> of 2 messages from what appears to be 2 different google
> accounts which have the same posting-account code? I don't
> think that should be. Can you give the message ID of the
> two messages you are using as an example?


Just grabbed from this batch of this group's posts...

a.
Message-ID:
<(E-Mail Removed) om>
Injection-Info: w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com; posting-
host=212.72.30.140; posting-
account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

b.
Message-ID:
<(E-Mail Removed) om>
Injection-Info: r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com; posting-
host=58.61.52.201; posting-
account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

There you go.

> The NPH examples you were giving were two different AOL
> proxy IPs -- which could have multiple different accounts
> accessing by the same IP or type of IP and which could have
> the same GG identity accessing by different but similar AOL
> proxy IPs.


AOL, now Google. WHAT NEXT!?

>> I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
>> his/her own account?

>
> The GGer is required to login to their GG account using
> their pw. If the pass is secure and unshared, then 2
> different 'entities' (to be defined) should not be having
> the same GG From email address.


The email addresses are not the same, but the "posting account"
(as you can see above) IS - which is what got me wondering.
Especially since the "posting address" is typical of the
"millions-of-users" kind (AOT GoogleISevilNOW for example).

>> Isn't that the point of having the account
>> in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is it
>> always the same?

>
> What do you mean 'always the same'? I don't see same
> posting account code for different entities. You could see
> the same Injection-Info ie 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com


See above.

Anyway, Mr. Shagnasty explained it, I think. It still makes no
sense to me.

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in
newsARMi.170068$(E-Mail Removed)
t:

<SNIP>

> Discussed here recently. The posting-account seems to
> always be the same, possibly indicating a Google posting
> server...


Weird. Thanks.

>> (Oh, and BTW, death to Googlegroups.)

>
> Amen.


Amen.

 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 03 Oct 2007 17:30:46 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi gang,
>>
>>I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil
>>encroachment of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.
>>
>>Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's stupid
>>headers.
>>
>>I have for a variety of irrelevant reasons, checked the
>>headers of various GG posts.
>>
>>They all say something like:
>>
>>Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
>>posting-host=64.12.116.133;
>>posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>>
>>The first two lines are different according to where the
>>message was posted from, like:
>>Injection-Info: y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com;
>>posting-host=64.12.117.7
>>
>>but the posting-account is always the sane:
>>ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>>
>>I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
>>his/her own account? Isn't that the point of having the
>>account in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is
>>it always the same?
>>
>>Does anyone know?

>
> To post via GG, you need a e-mail address - valid. You
> cannot use someone@invalid. To sign up, you need to receive
> an e-mail to that address, then click on the link. All your
> posts come from that address (unless they changed it). So
> tracking down the idiot who posted isn't a big deal.


Too many idiots to track. I was just curious because it makes no
sense. See my reply to Mr. Easter for examples.
Thanks for your reply.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
t:

> On 2007-10-03, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> I, like many of you, am suffering due to the evil
>> encroachment of Googlegroupers upon our refuge.
>>
>> Leaving that aside, I have a question about Google's
>> stupid headers.
>>
>> I have for a variety of irrelevant reasons, checked the
>> headers of various GG posts.
>>
>> They all say something like:
>>
>> Injection-Info: 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com;
>> posting-host=64.12.116.133;
>> posting-account=ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>>
>> The first two lines are different according to where the
>> message was posted from, like:
>> Injection-Info: y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com;
>> posting-host=64.12.117.7
>>
>> but the posting-account is always the sane:
>> ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0
>>
>> I don't understand this. Shouldn't each Googlegrouper have
>> his/her own account? Isn't that the point of having the
>> account in the header, for tracking etc. purposes? WHY is
>> it always the same?
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> t.
>>
>> (Oh, and BTW, death to Googlegroups.)

>
> I'm sure the 'posting account' used to be different for
> each googler. Perhaps this is just something else that
> Google have managed to break?


Well, Mr. Shagnasty says it always used to be like this. And it
makes no sense. See details in my reply to Mr. Easter.
Thanks for your reply.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2007
thanatoid wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> thanatoid wrote:


>>> stupid headers.

>>
>>> but the posting-account is always the sane:
>>> ps2QrAMAAAA6_jCuRt2JEIpn5Otqf_w0

>>
>> Do you have an example
>> of 2 messages from what appears to be 2 different google
>> accounts which have the same posting-account code?


> a.
> Message-ID:
> <(E-Mail Removed) om>


That is

From: (E-Mail Removed)
Newsgroups: sci.math, 24hoursupport.helpdesk, alt.religion.scientology,
rec.travel.europe, rec.food.cooking
Subject: Discount on New Motherboards
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:28:23 -0700

> b.
> Message-ID:
> <(E-Mail Removed) om>


That is

From: Sellbestwatch <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Best stock online-watch,bag,jewerly,jean,clothing,brand new $15
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:28:21 -0700

First I'll say "I don't like those examples." -- and then I'll explain
myself.

I had to go to some trouble to find those items, because not only were
they not to be found on my primary newsserver (which filters pretty
aggressively, especially GG posts) -- but more importantly, they were
not to be found by 'normal' - my typical - search strategies in
googlegroups.

GG search 'power' has been significantly deprecated/attenuated, whatever
you want to call it from how good it was in the past. It could not find
either of those messages by mid; so I used one of my
secondary/alternate newsservers which does not filter as well as my
primary. Then I was able to find both recent messages; and I was able
to test if GG could find either by author, which it could not. Since
the messages were not being produced by GG search engine, I displayed
the group 24hshd with GG and found both recent messages in GG that way.
I performed that step because I was beginning to doubt if they were
available in GG - since normal search was negative.

b.
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...863574d9932274
a.
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...3166cbbba16cfd

.... but the 'trouble' above isn't why I didn't like the examples.

If we are trying to 'learn something' about illustrative headers, we
have to be very confiident that the headerlines are legitimate and not
bogus. At least one of those ie b., if not both, is sufficiently
'funky' to distrust some number of headerlines. That is, if either of
the examples was not actually injected via GG, then the headerlines
which we assume to be stamped by GG aren't necessarily so, they may be
forged.


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revamped GoogleGroups Reminds Me Of Star Trek's NX2000 Excelsior! ckozicki@snet.net Computer Information 0 03-11-2012 11:21 PM
GoogleGroups getting as reliable as AM under a concrete overpass! ChrisCoaster Computer Information 1 09-22-2009 09:34 PM
Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope) vivainio@gmail.com Python 12 02-17-2006 07:49 PM
read googlegroups jakedar@gmail.com Computer Support 7 10-24-2005 10:32 PM
Update: Availability of Old GoogleGroups Interface Blinky the Shark Computer Support 7 07-25-2005 10:53 PM



Advertisments