Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Virtual ethernet interface

Virtual ethernet interface

Ugarchina

i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
find any documention.
thanks.

Trendkill

On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
> interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
> find any documention.
> thanks.

Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
referred/named as?

Trendkill

On Oct 3, 1:33 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
> > interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
> > find any documention.
> > thanks.

> Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
> referred/named as?

I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

http://www.cisco.com.ru/en/US/docs/s...html#wp1056566

Ugarchina

when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
24 fast ethernet interfaces
2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
1 virtual ethernet interface

On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
> 24 fast ethernet interfaces
> 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
> 1 virtual ethernet interface
>
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:36:54 -0000, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >> Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
> >> referred/named as?

> >I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
> >or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
> >Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
say 1 virtual interface.

Trendkill

On Oct 3, 1:57 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
> > 24 fast ethernet interfaces
> > 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
> > 1 virtual ethernet interface

> > >I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
> > >or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
> > >Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

> It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
> environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
> just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
> certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
> signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
> say 1 virtual interface.

Guess it could be a console connection too. Either way, its perfectly
normal.

Trendkill

On Oct 3, 2:29 pm, pk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Trendkill wrote:
> > On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
> >> 24 fast ethernet interfaces
> >> 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
> >> 1 virtual ethernet interface

> > It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
> > environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
> > just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
> > certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
> > signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
> > say 1 virtual interface.

> On a 3750, I noticed that, after configuring a new vlan (different from vlan
> 1), the message changed to "2 virtual ethernet interfaces" (I assigned an
> IP address to the vlan and did "no shutdown" on it). So, I guess it's the
> number of active vlans (I may also be wrong, of course).

Very well could be that...in fact sounds like it is. All of my
switches are just 'dumb' and l3 is owned on other 6500s and just
trunked over. The only actual virtual interface is of course for
management. Therefore I'll bet that is it...just never noticed it
before.

pk

Trendkill wrote:

> On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
>> 24 fast ethernet interfaces
>> 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
>> 1 virtual ethernet interface

>> >I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
>> >or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
>> >Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

> It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
> environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
> just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
> certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
> signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
> say 1 virtual interface.

On a 3750, I noticed that, after configuring a new vlan (different from vlan
1), the message changed to "2 virtual ethernet interfaces" (I assigned an
IP address to the vlan and did "no shutdown" on it). So, I guess it's the
number of active vlans (I may also be wrong, of course).

Scott Perry

The answer is that it is a management interface for the switch.

If you do not assign an IP address to the ethernet switch, how else will you
remotely connect to it?
Where would you assign it? To a physical ethernet switchport? No, you
assign it to a vlan interface that is available behind any ethernet port
assigned to that VLAN.

Example:
interface vlan 1
shutdown
interface vlan 5
description *** Management IP Address ***
ip address 192.168.186.241 255.255.255.192
no shutdown
end

--

===========
Scott Perry
"Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, Ugarchina <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
>> interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
>> find any documention.
>> thanks.

> Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
> referred/named as?

windogwow windogwow is offline
Junior Member

wow this post is old
I had the similar question today and I guess I have figured it out myself .... hope so.

if you do "sh ip in b" in the switch, you will find out that the amount of vlan interfaces is same with the "sh ver" virtual ethernet interface. which means :

if you type "interface vlan xx" and enter, it will create a SVI which ===== virtual ehternet interface.

hope I am right on this and some one is still reading it ;P