Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > interfacing Python interpreter with a VB6 frontend

interfacing Python interpreter with a VB6 frontend

Anonymous

I am trying something which appears (so far), that many other people
have not yet tried before - since I can't find any useful related
material despite several days of searching various sites/blogs etc.

I want to use VB6 as a front end for building a small GUI console that
accepts python commands at the command line and executes them, returning
any results to the VB6 window.

This requires several steps, but the one I am having most problem
finding info on is the ff:

1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

Any pointers/demos etc are very welcome - and if this has already been
done, please let me know, so I can learn from what someone else has done

Ryan Ginstrom

> On Behalf Of Anonymous
> This requires several steps, but the one I am having most
> problem finding info on is the ff:
>
> 1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and having
VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for display.

win32com has demos of COM servers.

--
Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

Anonymous

Ryan Ginstrom wrote:

>>On Behalf Of Anonymous
>>This requires several steps, but the one I am having most
>>problem finding info on is the ff:
>>
>>1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

> One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and having
> VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for display.
>
> win32com has demos of COM servers.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ryan Ginstrom

Hi Ryan, do you have a link to the resources you mentioned?. I did a
search for win32com - and found this :
http://python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/FAQ.html (most of the links were
either dead, or refrerred to using COM from within Python - i.e. the
OTHER way round).

Gabriel Genellina

En Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:53:15 -0300, Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> escribi�:

> Ryan Ginstrom wrote:
>> One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and
>> having
>> VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for
>> display.
>> win32com has demos of COM servers.

> Hi Ryan, do you have a link to the resources you mentioned?. I did a
> search for win32com - and found this :
> http://python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/FAQ.html (most of the links were
> either dead, or refrerred to using COM from within Python - i.e. the
> OTHER way round).

win32com is part of the Python for Windows extensions by Mark Hammond:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

--
Gabriel Genellina

Giles Brown

On 3 Oct, 11:07, Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying something which appears (so far), that many other people
> have not yet tried before - since I can't find any useful related
> material despite several days of searching various sites/blogs etc.
>
> I want to use VB6 as a front end for building a small GUI console that
> accepts python commands at the command line and executes them, returning
> any results to the VB6 window.
>
> This requires several steps, but the one I am having most problem
> finding info on is the ff:
>
> 1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6
>
> Any pointers/demos etc are very welcome - and if this has already been
> done, please let me know, so I can learn from what someone else has done

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pytho...pter/ch12.html

Steve Holden

Anonymous wrote:

> Ryan Ginstrom wrote:
>
>>> On Behalf Of Anonymous
>>> This requires several steps, but the one I am having most
>>> problem finding info on is the ff:
>>>
>>> 1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

>> One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and having
>> VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for display.
>>
>> win32com has demos of COM servers.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Ryan Ginstrom
>>

> Hi Ryan, do you have a link to the resources you mentioned?. I did a
> search for win32com - and found this :
> http://python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/FAQ.html (most of the links were
> either dead, or refrerred to using COM from within Python - i.e. the
> OTHER way round).

You might also want to pick up a copy of Hammond and Robinson's
"Programming Win32 in Python", which discusses various ways of
front-ending Python programs with VB interfaces.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline