Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Playing the sound only through the standard headphone output in Windows XP

Playing the sound only through the standard headphone output in Windows XP

lbrtchx@hotmail.com

Hi,
~
I run two computer labs with 30 Windows-XP based computers in a
learning center and I need to make sure that users who need to listen
to music, podcasts or want to watch videos (which include their
soundtracks) can only do so using ear buds or headphones, otherwise
these labs will be hellish and other students wouldn't be able to do
any work
~
All computers have planar flat screens with in-built speakers and I
have noticed that some of the computers do not play sound through
their speakers (the ones on the screen), but can do so through the
standard headphone output
~
How can I make all other computers behave the same?
~
Any other howto's about how to manage Windows boxes efficiently?
~
For example, I would like to kind of know, for leaning purposes the
click trace of users. Say they are in a training site such as this
one:
~
http://www.ckls.org/~crippel/compute...use/page1.html
~
You could run wireshark and generate a great deal of network traffic
logs, but how do I produce/distill some kinds of logs specific to each
user that would let me know that user4 (connecting from PC 4) is doing
it fast enough so it learned how to use the mouse?
~
Thank you
lbrtchx

Ray Parrish

> Hi,
> ~
> I run two computer labs with 30 Windows-XP based computers in a
> learning center and I need to make sure that users who need to listen
> to music, podcasts or want to watch videos (which include their
> soundtracks) can only do so using ear buds or headphones, otherwise
> these labs will be hellish and other students wouldn't be able to do
> any work
> ~
> All computers have planar flat screens with in-built speakers and I
> have noticed that some of the computers do not play sound through
> their speakers (the ones on the screen), but can do so through the
> standard headphone output
> ~
> How can I make all other computers behave the same?

Well, one suggestion I have is to simply unplug the wire going from the
soundcard to the speakers, and put the wire away where the users can't
get it. They would then have to plug in their headphones.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
http://rayparrish.spaces.live.com/ Ray's Space, poetry, shareware, freeware
http://www.freewebs.com/rayparrish/ My poetry in web pages

lbrtchx@hotmail.com

> ... simply unplug the wire going from the soundcard to the speakers
~
this was the first thing I tried. Something homely about these flat
monitors
~
http://www.planar.com/products/flatp...Specifications
~
is that even if you leave only the data and power cable their speaker
still functions
~
lbrtchx