Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2924 + vlans

2924 + vlans

turnip

I have 2 2924's with the WS-X2924-XL-V expansion port in each. I have
the trunks between switches set up via port group 1 on 2 interfaces on
each swithc. It seems to work well

on switch 2, I have defined a vlan for ports 17-24, however after
doing so, i cannot access any network resources.

We have a 2600 upstream, and it doesnt support encapsulation atm, ill
have to upgrade it.. however my question is this

I never found a place to define the netowrk range for the second
vlan..
Reading up, intervace vlan2 ip add.. is just for management.

So here it is..

Can I configure this second switch (which is trunked up to the main,
and hte main goes to the router) to pass all vlans upstream ? Or do I
need a subinterface on the router with dotq encap and a vlan
defined ?

I am a newb to vlans, the switches work just fine, it is just those 8
ports in vlan 2 that do me no good.

I have this on both trunks

interface FastEthernet1/1
port group 1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet1/2
port group 1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
switchport mode trunk

vlan 1 routes just fine, vlan 2 dies hehe. I understand if you ignore
this. But if you have time and dont mind it would rock for some help..

router -> switch1 <- trunk -> switch2

the vlan is defined on switch 2.

Trendkill

On Oct 2, 9:48 am, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have 2 2924's with the WS-X2924-XL-V expansion port in each. I have
> the trunks between switches set up via port group 1 on 2 interfaces on
> each swithc. It seems to work well
>
> on switch 2, I have defined a vlan for ports 17-24, however after
> doing so, i cannot access any network resources.
>
> We have a 2600 upstream, and it doesnt support encapsulation atm, ill
> have to upgrade it.. however my question is this
>
> I never found a place to define the netowrk range for the second
> vlan..
> Reading up, intervace vlan2 ip add.. is just for management.
>
> So here it is..
>
> Can I configure this second switch (which is trunked up to the main,
> and hte main goes to the router) to pass all vlans upstream ? Or do I
> need a subinterface on the router with dotq encap and a vlan
> defined ?
>
> I am a newb to vlans, the switches work just fine, it is just those 8
> ports in vlan 2 that do me no good.
>
> I have this on both trunks
>
> interface FastEthernet1/1
> port group 1
> switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
> switchport mode trunk
> !
> interface FastEthernet1/2
> port group 1
> switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
> switchport mode trunk
>
> vlan 1 routes just fine, vlan 2 dies hehe. I understand if you ignore
> this. But if you have time and dont mind it would rock for some help..
>
> router -> switch1 <- trunk -> switch2
>
> the vlan is defined on switch 2.

I could be off base here, but I thought you could not create more than
one vlan on a 2924? Doesn't it allow only one SVI? I thought you
have to create some place else and trunk it in, and then assign the
ports...but could be wrong...don't work with small switches too often,
so forgive me if I am off base.

You may need to create a sub int on the router (unless your other
switch is something that has more L3 capability, then trunk it from
the router to switch 1, and then trunk the vlans between the two
switches.

Perhaps someone else can help add clarity.

turnip

On Oct 2, 10:49 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 9:48 am, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I have 2 2924's with the WS-X2924-XL-V expansion port in each. I have
> > the trunks between switches set up via port group 1 on 2 interfaces on
> > each swithc. It seems to work well

> > on switch 2, I have defined a vlan for ports 17-24, however after
> > doing so, i cannot access any network resources.

> > We have a 2600 upstream, and it doesnt support encapsulation atm, ill
> > have to upgrade it.. however my question is this

> > I never found a place to define the netowrk range for the second
> > vlan..
> > Reading up, intervace vlan2 ip add.. is just for management.

> > So here it is..

> > Can I configure this second switch (which is trunked up to the main,
> > and hte main goes to the router) to pass all vlans upstream ? Or do I
> > need a subinterface on the router with dotq encap and a vlan
> > defined ?

> > I am a newb to vlans, the switches work just fine, it is just those 8
> > ports in vlan 2 that do me no good.

> > I have this on both trunks

> > interface FastEthernet1/1
> > port group 1
> > switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> > switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
> > switchport mode trunk
> > !
> > interface FastEthernet1/2
> > port group 1
> > switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> > switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
> > switchport mode trunk

> > vlan 1 routes just fine, vlan 2 dies hehe. I understand if you ignore
> > this. But if you have time and dont mind it would rock for some help..

> > router -> switch1 <- trunk -> switch2

> > the vlan is defined on switch 2.

> I could be off base here, but I thought you could not create more than
> one vlan on a 2924? Doesn't it allow only one SVI? I thought you
> have to create some place else and trunk it in, and then assign the
> ports...but could be wrong...don't work with small switches too often,
> so forgive me if I am off base.
>
> You may need to create a sub int on the router (unless your other
> switch is something that has more L3 capability, then trunk it from
> the router to switch 1, and then trunk the vlans between the two
> switches.
>
> Perhaps someone else can help add clarity.- Hide quoted text -

Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 192_sub
!
enable secret 5 $1$V8a5$.pOnSyDIEGBo01iFaQVZp/
!
!
!
!
!
!
ip subnet-zero
ip dhcp-server 192.168.0.111
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface FastEthernet2/1
port group 1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet2/2
port group 1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,1002-1005
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet2/3
!
interface FastEthernet2/4
!
interface VLAN1
ip address 192.168.0.249 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 192.168.0.253
snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000D0C0F257C0
snmp-server community private RW
snmp-server community public RO
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
transport input none
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
password
login
line vty 5 15
password
login
!
end

User Access Verification

Password:
office_192_main>en
Password:
office_192_main#sho vlan
VLAN Name Status Ports
---- -------------------------------- ---------
-------------------------------
1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3,
Fa0/4,
Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7,
Fa0/8,
Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11,
Fa0/12,
Fa0/13, Fa0/14,
Fa0/15, Fa0/16,
Fa1/3, Fa1/4
2 it-dept active Fa0/17, Fa0/18,
Fa0/19, Fa0/20,
Fa0/21, Fa0/22,
Fa0/23, Fa0/24
1002 fddi-default active
1003 token-ring-default active
1004 fddinet-default active
1005 trnet-default active

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode
Trans1 Trans2
---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- --------
------ ------
1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - -
0 0
2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - -
0 0
1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - -
0 0
1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - srb
0 0
1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee -
0 0
1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm -
0 0
office_192_main#

that implys it supports more then 1 vlan or am I wrong ?

The upstream router does not support encap dotq, it doesnt have ipplus
flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch
if possible

Trendkill

On Oct 2, 11:09 am, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode
> Trans1 Trans2
> ---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- --------
> ------ ------
> 1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - srb
> 0 0
> 1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee -
> 0 0
> 1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm -
> 0 0
> office_192_main#
>
> that implys it supports more then 1 vlan or am I wrong ?
>
> The upstream router does not support encap dotq, it doesnt have ipplus
> flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch

It supports trunking and multiple vlans, but not as the L3 SVI for
multiple vlans, only one (at least that is what I think I remember
about those switches). This means that another switch can trunk in
the networks, and the 2924 can put ports in it, it just won't work as
the router for more than one network. What is your other switch,
anything more robust? Can you create the networks there and trunk it
over?

Overall, wait for one of these other guys to weigh in (there are some
really good folks on here), but I don't think that switch supports
what you want...hopefully I am wrong.

> [...]

> VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode
> Trans1 Trans2
> ---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- --------
> ------ ------
> 1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - -
> 0 0
> 1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - srb
> 0 0
> 1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee -
> 0 0
> 1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm -
> 0 0
> office_192_main#
>
> that implys it supports more then 1 vlan or am I wrong ?
>
> The upstream router does not support encap dotq, it doesnt have ipplus
> flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch

And, I know you can configure multiple vlans and interfaces, but they
just won't work. When I hit this issue (if I am correct on thinking
this is the same model as when I did this a long time ago), I could
create vlans and interfaces, but nothing would work outside of the
first vlan interface. As I said, hopefully i am wrong.

turnip

On Oct 2, 11:36 am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > that implys it supports more then 1 vlan or am I wrong ?

> > The upstream router does not support encap dotq, it doesnt have ipplus
> > flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch
> > if possible

> It supports trunking and multiple vlans, but not as the L3 SVI for
> multiple vlans, only one (at least that is what I think I remember
> about those switches). This means that another switch can trunk in
> the networks, and the 2924 can put ports in it, it just won't work as
> the router for more than one network. What is your other switch,
> anything more robust? Can you create the networks there and trunk it
> over?
>
> Overall, wait for one of these other guys to weigh in (there are some
> really good folks on here), but I don't think that switch supports
> what you want...hopefully I am wrong.- Hide quoted text -

the upstream main switch is the same model (small company) =)

turnip

On Oct 2, 11:54 am, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > > flash and lacks the mem for it... I am hoping to do this in the switch
> > > if possible

> > It supports trunking and multiple vlans, but not as the L3 SVI for
> > multiple vlans, only one (at least that is what I think I remember
> > about those switches). This means that another switch can trunk in
> > the networks, and the 2924 can put ports in it, it just won't work as
> > the router for more than one network. What is your other switch,
> > anything more robust? Can you create the networks there and trunk it
> > over?

> > Overall, wait for one of these other guys to weigh in (there are some
> > really good folks on here), but I don't think that switch supports
> > what you want...hopefully I am wrong.- Hide quoted text -

> the upstream main switch is the same model (small company) =)- Hide quoted text -

I was able to update the router IOS, create a sub interface, assign it
to a vlan. and then trunk one port on the second vlan up to it..

All is working. But id love more info on these switches..

Trendkill

On Oct 2, 2:45 pm, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 11:54 am, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > It supports trunking and multiple vlans, but not as the L3 SVI for
> > > multiple vlans, only one (at least that is what I think I remember
> > > about those switches). This means that another switch can trunk in
> > > the networks, and the 2924 can put ports in it, it just won't work as
> > > the router for more than one network. What is your other switch,
> > > anything more robust? Can you create the networks there and trunk it
> > > over?

> > > Overall, wait for one of these other guys to weigh in (there are some
> > > really good folks on here), but I don't think that switch supports
> > > what you want...hopefully I am wrong.- Hide quoted text -

> > the upstream main switch is the same model (small company) =)- Hide quoted text -

> I was able to update the router IOS, create a sub interface, assign it
> to a vlan. and then trunk one port on the second vlan up to it..
>
> All is working. But id love more info on these switches..

That's good news. I'm sure someone will pipe up and provide the
answer you need on the 2924, just seems like a slow day for the heavy
hitters other than myself. If I get some time, I will do some
searching on Cisco, and will let you know if/when I find
something....take care.

Trendkill

On Oct 2, 3:00 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2:45 pm, turnip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > the upstream main switch is the same model (small company) =)- Hide quoted text -

> > I was able to update the router IOS, create a sub interface, assign it
> > to a vlan. and then trunk one port on the second vlan up to it..

> > All is working. But id love more info on these switches..

> That's good news. I'm sure someone will pipe up and provide the
> answer you need on the 2924, just seems like a slow day for the heavy
> hitters other than myself. If I get some time, I will do some
> searching on Cisco, and will let you know if/when I find
> something....take care.

And here is a link related to previous posts about this topic...which
is what is leading me to believe you can only have one routed
interface on that switch, and its for mgmt only. Again, could be
wrong and might depend on hardware, but this is along the lines of
what I was thinking.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....cf7a65ff3b8dbc

Chris

> And, I know you can configure multiple vlans and interfaces, but they
> just won't work. When I hit this issue (if I am correct on thinking
> this is the same model as when I did this a long time ago), I could
> create vlans and interfaces, but nothing would work outside of the
> first vlan interface. As I said, hopefully i am wrong.

You are quite correct. The 2900 series supports only one SVI interface so
by creating a second vlan for switch ports without any means of routing
that subnet/vlan those ports will be cut off from the network. A trunk to a
"router on a stick" is usually the answer. The 2924 is really just a layer2
switch with one SVI interface designed for management.

Chris.