Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Rattling fan but which one?

Rattling fan but which one?

Kenny

Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on chip
protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
Geforce 6600.
Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's a
Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
test.

--
Kenny Cargill

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Kenny wrote:
> Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
> Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan?

Sure, for less than 10 seconds, maybe considerably less, then you may or
may not see the puff of smoke, but it will be dead. I wouldn't do it to
a chip I planned to keep using.

> Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
> Geforce 6600.

Sure, you'll of course have nothing to look at on the screen, but it's
okay let it attempt to start.

> Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's a
> Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
> Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
> test.

You're sort of on the right track, but I've never had a problem
narrowing down which fan is getting wonky just by listening carefully,
maybe interfering with the fan's operation for only a second with my finger.

Desk Rabbit

Rgr wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
> You're sort of on the right track, but I've never had a problem
> narrowing down which fan is getting wonky just by listening carefully,
> maybe interfering with the fan's operation for only a second with my
> finger.

Safety note:- On the hub, *not* on the blades.

VanguardLH

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
> Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on
> chip protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
> Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that?
> It's a Geforce 6600.
> Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there?
> It's a Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
> Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another
> PSU to test.

Heat builds up very fast on a CPU without a fan. Most BIOSes these
days will shutdown the PSU within a couple seconds if not immediately
if they see the CPU fan is not spinning (or, more accurately, get a
reported RPM from the CPU fan). If the case fans have been
disconnected then you only have 4 fans left, maybe: CPU, chipset,
video card, and PSU. You could disconnect the video and chipset fans
and power up (just for 2 to 5 seconds) to see if it is the CPU fan.

I haven't heard a fan "rattle". To rattle means the fan would have to
be spinning very, very slowly. Because they typically spin at 1500
RPM, or faster, even when slowed down by software/BIOS when the item
is cool, the "rattle" would be a buzz sound. Did you check that no
cables are hitting the fan blades?

It is possible the rattle is an out-of-balance fan. Did you use an
air can to blow off the blades, use a q-tip to scrub the stuck-on dust
on the blades, and blow them off again (and repeat for both sides of
the blades)? You should be able to clean the dust from the blades for
all fans except for the PSU which might require dismantling the PSU,
something you should not attempt unless you know how to take apart and
put back together electronics and don't care about voiding any still
existing warranty.

Ron Martell

"Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
>Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on chip
>protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
>Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
>Geforce 6600.
>Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's a
>Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
>Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
>test.

Run the machine with the cover off and *all* fans connected.

When the noise starts take a strip of soft plastic (small cable ties
are ideal) or a narrow strip of stiff paper and gently touch the
spinning hub of each fan in turn. Listen carefully for any change in
the pitch and/or intensity of the noise. When that happens, you have
found the culprit.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Kenny

Thanks for all the replies and tips, will try them out.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
>>Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will the on chip
>>protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon XP3200.
>>Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan on that? It's a
>>Geforce 6600.
>>Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is there? It's
>>Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
>>Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow another PSU to
>>test.

> Run the machine with the cover off and *all* fans connected.
>
> When the noise starts take a strip of soft plastic (small cable ties
> are ideal) or a narrow strip of stiff paper and gently touch the
> spinning hub of each fan in turn. Listen carefully for any change in
> the pitch and/or intensity of the noise. When that happens, you have
> found the culprit.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

HEMI-Powered

Kenny added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> Have ruled out the case fan, easy and safe to disconnect that.
> Is it safe to run for a short time without the CPU fan? Will
> the on chip protection be adequate for that? It's an Athlon
> XP3200. Can I run with the video card out to eliminate the fan
> on that? It's a Geforce 6600.
> Don't think there's any way to disable the chipset fan or is
> there? It's a Gigabyte m/b with Nvidia chipset.
> Not sure about the PSU fan but I should be able to borrow
> another PSU to test.

Your CPU will overheat very quickly if you disconnect the fan, but
if you just want to do a short-term check, that won't cause any
problems. My CPU fan was dying but I didn't know it, I just knew
that one of the 5 in my system was noisy as you report. I debugged
mine by GENTLY using a finger to slow down each fan until I found
the one making the racket. It very quickly pointed to the CPU in my
case. If that's your problem, get it fixed ASAP. You don't want to
risk damage to the chip or have your BIOS shut the PC down when it
reaches its overheat threshold thus losing all your work in memory.

--
HP, aka Jerry