Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Pearls of wisdom?

Pearls of wisdom?

=?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=

I am really interested in upgrading from XP to XP-64 since I do have a system
that is able to support it.
I read about the drivers or lack thereof and I think that the ony one I wont
be able to find right away is the one for my Photosmart 1000 printer by HP.
The question that I have is the following:
Will I be able to re-install (from backyp) my Office 2007 suite?
Will I be able to import my Outlook contacts?
What about the WORD files or will it all be lost into thin air since they
are different operating systems.
What pearls of wisdom do you have to save me from a computer migraine?
All your help is welcomed.

Hector
--
Hector

Dominic Payer

So far as I know there is no x64 (or Vista) driver for the Photosmart 1000
and no workaround to enable even basic printing.

Office 2007 will need to be reinstalled from your installation media.

Your Outlook .pst file can be copied and pasted to your new C:\Documents and
Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
folder. This will retain all your old Outlook information, but you will need
to set up your email accounts anew so be sure you have a record of your
email account settings and passwords.

Any other user files can be copied - or restored from a backup - to your new
x64 Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents folder. They are just
information and don't depend on the version of Windows under which they were
created.

"Hector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am really interested in upgrading from XP to XP-64 since I do have a
>system
> that is able to support it.
> I read about the drivers or lack thereof and I think that the ony one I
> wont
> be able to find right away is the one for my Photosmart 1000 printer by
> HP.
> The question that I have is the following:
> Will I be able to re-install (from backyp) my Office 2007 suite?
> Will I be able to import my Outlook contacts?
> What about the WORD files or will it all be lost into thin air since they
> are different operating systems.
> What pearls of wisdom do you have to save me from a computer migraine?
> All your help is welcomed.
>
> Hector
> --
> Hector

S.SubZero

On Oct 1, 10:32 pm, Hector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What about the WORD files or will it all be lost into thin air since they
> are different operating systems.

This is a strange idea. Do you think you cannot open your Word files
on any PC or any Office installation besides that one?

What happens if you need to send a Word document to another person?
How would they open it if that was the case?

You are overanalyzing this a little, I think.

As far as the printer, The P1000 is pretty old, but some OS/2 guy got
it to print using a different model driver. Maybe XP64 will allow
something similar using different XP64 drivers.
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...4H/vnewsf3.htm

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dominic is correct on all counts. The one other suggestion I'd make is that
you use the updated files and settings transfer wizard (FSTW). The minimum
level of the FSTW is described in my blog on the subject:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../02/65120.aspx

Since you're going to need to format your existing Windows partition, make
sure you have a full and complete backup of everything, and that you've
tested that backup thoroughly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So far as I know there is no x64 (or Vista) driver for the Photosmart 1000
> and no workaround to enable even basic printing.
>
> Office 2007 will need to be reinstalled from your installation media.
>
> Your Outlook .pst file can be copied and pasted to your new C:\Documents
> and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> folder. This will retain all your old Outlook information, but you will
> need to set up your email accounts anew so be sure you have a record of
> your email account settings and passwords.
>
> Any other user files can be copied - or restored from a backup - to your
> new x64 Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents folder. They are
> just information and don't depend on the version of Windows under which
> they were created.
>

> "Hector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am really interested in upgrading from XP to XP-64 since I do have a
>>system
>> that is able to support it.
>> I read about the drivers or lack thereof and I think that the ony one I
>> wont
>> be able to find right away is the one for my Photosmart 1000 printer by
>> HP.
>> The question that I have is the following:
>> Will I be able to re-install (from backyp) my Office 2007 suite?
>> Will I be able to import my Outlook contacts?
>> What about the WORD files or will it all be lost into thin air since they
>> are different operating systems.
>> What pearls of wisdom do you have to save me from a computer migraine?
>> All your help is welcomed.
>>
>> Hector
>> --
>> Hector

=?Utf-8?B?SGVjdG9y?=

thx
--
Hector

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> So far as I know there is no x64 (or Vista) driver for the Photosmart 1000
> and no workaround to enable even basic printing.
>
> Office 2007 will need to be reinstalled from your installation media.
>
> Your Outlook .pst file can be copied and pasted to your new C:\Documents and
> Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> folder. This will retain all your old Outlook information, but you will need
> to set up your email accounts anew so be sure you have a record of your
> email account settings and passwords.
>
> Any other user files can be copied - or restored from a backup - to your new
> x64 Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents folder. They are just
> information and don't depend on the version of Windows under which they were
> created.
>

> "Hector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am really interested in upgrading from XP to XP-64 since I do have a
> >system
> > that is able to support it.
> > I read about the drivers or lack thereof and I think that the ony one I
> > wont
> > be able to find right away is the one for my Photosmart 1000 printer by
> > HP.
> > The question that I have is the following:
> > Will I be able to re-install (from backyp) my Office 2007 suite?
> > Will I be able to import my Outlook contacts?
> > What about the WORD files or will it all be lost into thin air since they
> > are different operating systems.
> > What pearls of wisdom do you have to save me from a computer migraine?
> > All your help is welcomed.
> >
> > Hector
> > --
> > Hector