Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Fire the web morons!

Fire the web morons!

Mike Dorn

OK, today's "new and improved" Cisco website is about the worst piece of
excrement I've seen yet. When I'm in a hurry to find the details of a
particular command in a particular IOS release, the last thing I want is some
cutsie Java front end that takes extra time to load, plays with my screen, pops
up another window and then requires me to precisely "hover" over the items I'm
looking for. Just give me a simple HTML page that loads instantly, runs on any
browser and lets me click on what I want to read. If you really want to spend a
bunch of extra money on your web page, develop a decent search engine for the
doco instead. Bunch of clueless idiots!

Sam Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Dorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, today's "new and improved" Cisco website is about the worst piece of
> excrement I've seen yet. When I'm in a hurry to find the details of a
> particular command in a particular IOS release, the last thing I want is some
> cutsie Java front end that takes extra time to load, plays with my screen,
> pops
> up another window and then requires me to precisely "hover" over the items
> I'm
> looking for. Just give me a simple HTML page that loads instantly, runs on
> any
> browser and lets me click on what I want to read. If you really want to
> spend a
> bunch of extra money on your web page, develop a decent search engine for the
> doco instead. Bunch of clueless idiots!

Odd, to me it looks just the same as it has done for months (an
improvement over the previous design) and whilst it has an animated ad
on the front page that can be skipped and everything else generally just
works. That's not to say the content arrangement is particularly
wonderful, but it doesn't have the problems you seem to have found.

Sam

fugettaboutit

I agree with you, Mike! Their site is slow and finding information is
difficult. Yesterday I had to update my CCO profile, and the update page
was full of broken images. Yet another thing about Cisco that shows a
decline in quality, especially where software is concerned.

Between their ridiculous outage some time ago (I mean c'mon, who runs a
worldwide company with ONE datacenter that maps to ONE ip address!
Geesh, and these people tout the gospel of fault tolerance and
datacenter design!) and their crappy site, I agree - fire the web
department!