Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing files.

Sharing files.

PVR

I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
connected wirelessly

I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used the
"Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"PVR" <peterv666@.adelphia.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
>Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
>connected wirelessly
>
> I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
> both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used
> the "Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.
>
> Obviously I am doing something wrong.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter.

Jim

"PVR" <peterv666@.adelphia.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
>Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
>connected wirelessly
>
> I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
> both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used
> the "Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.
>
> Obviously I am doing something wrong.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Peter.

Go to the websites of either MVP Jack or MVP Chuck for instructions.
Jim

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:33:55 -0400, "PVR" <peterv666@.adelphia.com> wrote:

>I have 2 PCs both using WinXP2. I use a Linksys Router/Access Point and a
>Linksys USB printserver. The desktop is connected by wire and the laptop is
>connected wirelessly
>
>I have access to the "Net from both PCs. I have access to a printer from
>both PCs. I cannot share files between the two PCs although I have used the
>"Sharing and Security..." box for the files I wish to share.
>
>Obviously I am doing something wrong.
>
>Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Peter.

Peter,

Details about what you see when you "cannot share files" wouldn't be a waste of
space or time.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

Your problem frequently comes from a NetBT setting mismatch, or a personal
firewall.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

This month, we have an update to Internet Explorer (yes, IE) possibly causing
Windows Networking issues.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-security.html

Or we could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

picoHat

It won't be difficult to share files in XP! You need to make sure you've enabled File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks on network card's properties. Also make sure both computers can ping each other.

Then you can take a look on following 2 methods to share files in XP:

Simple file sharing (no password)
http://www.home-network-help.com/file-sharing.html

File sharing with user/group permissions (XP pro)
http://www.home-network-help.com/share-file.html

Hope helps..

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=

Hi There

Have you tried file sharing with your firewall disabled? If not disable the
firewalls on both computers and try to find the shared folder. Once you have
found it right click on my computer and go to map a network drive, find the
folder and select it. Turn your firewalls back on and you should be able to
access the folder when you open up my computer and click on that network
drive. I had this problem and it took me a couple of weeks to work out how to
fix it.
P.S. Your firewall settings will be in your antivirus software or under
control panel's security menu. Make sure that you have your network secure
with some form of encryption otherwise your files can be veiwed by other
people.