Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MCAD, MCSD, MCPD, IT Project+ vs. Computer Science Degree

Reply
Thread Tools

MCAD, MCSD, MCPD, IT Project+ vs. Computer Science Degree

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gSHVudGVy?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
I have 5+ years experience and I am about to pass my final exam for the MCSD.
I already have the MCAD and I am going to get the new MCPD certification. My
question is having those 3 certifications are they worth more than a
bachelors or is having a degree more valuable in the IT field? I am also
planning to get the Comp TIA IT Project+ certification as well as
EC-Council’s Certified Secure Programmer and Certified Secure Application
Developer certifications. The reason I am asking is because I dropped of
college to obtain theses certifications, and I am now planning to move to san
jose, ca with a software consultant buddy but I have notice that a lot of
jobs out there would like the degree vs. the certifications.

Someone with at least 5+ years exp. please help
Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?RWdnaGVhZA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
A lot of big companies would like you to have a bachelor (any type) before
they move you to PM.

Egghead

"C. Hunter" wrote:

> I have 5+ years experience and I am about to pass my final exam for the MCSD.
> I already have the MCAD and I am going to get the new MCPD certification. My
> question is having those 3 certifications are they worth more than a
> bachelors or is having a degree more valuable in the IT field? I am also
> planning to get the Comp TIA IT Project+ certification as well as
> EC-Council’s Certified Secure Programmer and Certified Secure Application
> Developer certifications. The reason I am asking is because I dropped of
> college to obtain theses certifications, and I am now planning to move to san
> jose, ca with a software consultant buddy but I have notice that a lot of
> jobs out there would like the degree vs. the certifications.
>
> Someone with at least 5+ years exp. please help
> Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alchemy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
having those diplomas from microsoft and elsewhere shows that you have
knowledge of he specific technologies, that you are up to date and your
passion with technologies.

having a degree implies you have a strong fundamental basis, ethics and
ability to learn.

these are said generally speaking. you might find exceptions etc.

to answer the question if a uni degree is necessary or/and if the
certifications can replace it, my answer is that yes a degree is
important and necessary and offers a broader view (you can see the
whole picture).



Egghead wrote:
> A lot of big companies would like you to have a bachelor (any type) before
> they move you to PM.
>
> Egghead
>
> "C. Hunter" wrote:
>
> > I have 5+ years experience and I am about to pass my final exam for the MCSD.
> > I already have the MCAD and I am going to get the new MCPD certification. My
> > question is having those 3 certifications are they worth more than a
> > bachelors or is having a degree more valuable in the IT field? I am also
> > planning to get the Comp TIA IT Project+ certification as well as
> > EC-Council's Certified Secure Programmer and Certified Secure Application
> > Developer certifications. The reason I am asking is because I dropped of
> > college to obtain theses certifications, and I am now planning to move to san
> > jose, ca with a software consultant buddy but I have notice that a lot of
> > jobs out there would like the degree vs. the certifications.
> >
> > Someone with at least 5+ years exp. please help
> > Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2006
I will add from personal experience with college recently in Information
Systems (although not CompSci our degree plan has more web development
classes less OOP classes).

When it comes to Resume sex appeal, HR managers desire for PM position etc,
yes. Degree is extremely nice to have.
When it comes to pure knowledge base? The following will answer that.

I took a database class where the teacher was still talking about primary
keys during MID semester! I had a co-student ask for my help because he
didn’t understand the concept of right click on a table name to change its
name and he was making a B in the class! I joke not!


"alchemy" wrote:

> having those diplomas from microsoft and elsewhere shows that you have
> knowledge of he specific technologies, that you are up to date and your
> passion with technologies.
>
> having a degree implies you have a strong fundamental basis, ethics and
> ability to learn.
>
> these are said generally speaking. you might find exceptions etc.
>
> to answer the question if a uni degree is necessary or/and if the
> certifications can replace it, my answer is that yes a degree is
> important and necessary and offers a broader view (you can see the
> whole picture).
>
>
>
> Egghead wrote:
> > A lot of big companies would like you to have a bachelor (any type) before
> > they move you to PM.
> >
> > Egghead
> >
> > "C. Hunter" wrote:
> >
> > > I have 5+ years experience and I am about to pass my final exam for the MCSD.
> > > I already have the MCAD and I am going to get the new MCPD certification. My
> > > question is having those 3 certifications are they worth more than a
> > > bachelors or is having a degree more valuable in the IT field? I am also
> > > planning to get the Comp TIA IT Project+ certification as well as
> > > EC-Council's Certified Secure Programmer and Certified Secure Application
> > > Developer certifications. The reason I am asking is because I dropped of
> > > college to obtain theses certifications, and I am now planning to move to san
> > > jose, ca with a software consultant buddy but I have notice that a lot of
> > > jobs out there would like the degree vs. the certifications.
> > >
> > > Someone with at least 5+ years exp. please help
> > > Thanks

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
certguru certguru is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
 
      02-10-2006
Hi,
If you want to continue the Microsoft route, refer to my Free study guide for MCPD.

It is very useful, but not essential to have a CS degree to progress in a career in IT.

In order to grow to management cadre any Bachelors (such as mentioned below) and then an MBA is more useful than a CS degree.

In order to grow in technical cadre, following are some degrees that can be done long distance which provide credits for Microsoft Certifications -

1) Bachelors - BS in IT from Excelsior College

2) Masters - Masters of System Development (Microsoft Stream)

Thanks,
Certguru

For free help with MCPD - Free study guide for MCPD.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 year AAS degree (w/certs) vs. 4 year CIS degree smolderingwick Microsoft Certification 0 02-06-2011 04:44 PM
converting MCSE degree to university degree mcp farahani MCSE 2 11-13-2009 06:53 PM
Counting down an integer vector from the highest degree (111) to the lowest degree (000) Matt Chwastek C++ 6 11-20-2006 10:51 PM
Canonical Science Today, authoring system for science and mathematics (1st part) Juan R. XML 1 05-09-2006 12:55 PM
Call For Papers: June 26-29, 2006, joint conferences in computer science, computer engineering & applied computing; USA A. M. G. Solo VHDL 0 01-13-2006 09:51 AM



Advertisments