Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 different IP addresses on same PC?

2 different IP addresses on same PC?

Jeff

I've been having trouble with intermittent loss of access to the internet on
a laptop in my wireless home lan connecting through a router. No solutions
so far, but checking my settings using "FreshDiagnose", similar to Aida 32.
I just noticed that I have 2 IP addresses on this laptop. Could this be the
problem?

Whereas ipconfig/all says my ip is 192.186.2.186. in FreshDiagnose, in the
Network screen, I notice that:
- under "General info" the local IP is listed as 192.186.2.186
- under TCP/IP the ip address is listed as 192.168.2.178 (!)
with DHCP enabled, Address Type "assigned by DHCP". The rest is all OK.

Why would I have 2 different IP addresses? Could this be the problem?

Jeff

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Most Laptops have Wire and Wireless Client cards.
So one IP is probably associated with the Wire and one with the Wireless.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having trouble with intermittent loss of access to the internet
> on a laptop in my wireless home lan connecting through a router. No
> solutions so far, but checking my settings using "FreshDiagnose", similar
> to Aida 32. I just noticed that I have 2 IP addresses on this laptop.
> Could this be the problem?
>
> Whereas ipconfig/all says my ip is 192.186.2.186. in FreshDiagnose, in the
> Network screen, I notice that:
> - under "General info" the local IP is listed as 192.186.2.186
> - under TCP/IP the ip address is listed as 192.168.2.178 (!)
> with DHCP enabled, Address Type "assigned by DHCP". The rest is all
> OK.
>
> Why would I have 2 different IP addresses? Could this be the problem?
>
> Jeff

Fred Marshall

ipconfig /all

should show *all* the interfaces and their IP addresses. Even plain old
"ipconfig" should do that!
So, if it doesn't then that is really strange if you really have 2 addresses
somehow.

In order for there to be a DHCP assigned address you need to be connected to
a DHCP server. That could be a router, or whatever.

You did say that you're operating wireless. So that is likely the DHCP
assigned address. The other one could be an unused Ethernet port with a
static address assigned. You could disable that one but I don't think it
will matter.

You might try assigning a static IP address for the wireless. It shouldn't
matter but maybe the time to live is too short and you're experiencing the
time it takes to renegotiate for a new address.

Fred

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 18-Jan-2006, "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote:

> You might try assigning a static IP address for the wireless. It shouldn't
> matter but maybe the time to live is too short and you're experiencing the
> time it takes to renegotiate for a new address.

Static addresses seem to solve some problems arising out of address
conflicts, my WinXP no longer has the pop-up, IP address conflict detected.
Putting them in an unlikely range for a small network like xxx.xxx.xxx.041 up
also seems a good idea since I assume DHCP addresses are allocated
sequentially from the bottom up, rather than randomly?
Of course the pop-up doesn't tell you which items had conflicting addresses,
but I assume it is in a log, if only you could find the log file.

..

Jeff

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 18-Jan-2006, "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote:
>
>> You might try assigning a static IP address for the wireless. It
>> shouldn't
>> matter but maybe the time to live is too short and you're experiencing
>> the
>> time it takes to renegotiate for a new address.

> Static addresses seem to solve some problems arising out of address
> conflicts, my WinXP no longer has the pop-up, IP address conflict
> detected.
> Putting them in an unlikely range for a small network like xxx.xxx.xxx.041
> up
> also seems a good idea since I assume DHCP addresses are allocated
> sequentially from the bottom up, rather than randomly?
> Of course the pop-up doesn't tell you which items had conflicting
> addresses,
> but I assume it is in a log, if only you could find the log file.

How exactly (step by step) do you set up static IP addresses for a wireless
lan in XP Home? what are the downsides - if any - of static addresses rather
than the standard XP way?

Fred Marshall

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On 18-Jan-2006, "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> You might try assigning a static IP address for the wireless. It
>>> shouldn't
>>> matter but maybe the time to live is too short and you're experiencing
>>> the
>>> time it takes to renegotiate for a new address.

>> Static addresses seem to solve some problems arising out of address
>> conflicts, my WinXP no longer has the pop-up, IP address conflict
>> detected.
>> Putting them in an unlikely range for a small network like
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.041 up
>> also seems a good idea since I assume DHCP addresses are allocated
>> sequentially from the bottom up, rather than randomly?
>> Of course the pop-up doesn't tell you which items had conflicting
>> addresses,
>> but I assume it is in a log, if only you could find the log file.
>>

> How exactly (step by step) do you set up static IP addresses for a
> wireless lan in XP Home? what are the downsides - if any - of static
> addresses rather than the standard XP way?

Control Panel / Network Connections / Right click on the wireless interface
/ Select Properties / Go to TCP/IP in the list in the inner window /
highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP / Click on Properties / Click box "Use
the Following IP Address" / Type in the IP address you want to use / type in
the netmask you will use probably 255.255.255.0 / type in the IP address of
your gateway ... likely your router or dsl modem INSIDE or LAN address /
Type in DNS addresses .. I like to use those from my ISP but you might also
list the router IP address.

Static addresses are much neater in that there's no waiting for them to be
assigned and there is less confusion. Computers remain with the same IP
addresses always. Then you can PING one that's turned on and know that's
what you're doing.
The only reason I can think of to NOT use static addresses is if there are
lots of computers and/or if you're too lazy to configure computers in
general.
The best way to use static and DHCP addresses together is to choose a range
you will use for static addresses and another range you will use for DHCP.
For example:

Static addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99
Dynamic addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.xxx where xxx might be 105
or 110 or 120 or 150 .... depending on how many you think you might have to
have assigned automatically.

I generally use DHCP for "visitors" and static addresses for everything that
lives permanently on my LAN.

There should *never* be address conflicts. That can only happen if you let
the DHCP and static addresses overlap. For example, you have a computer (or
a printer) with a static address and, for some reason, that address is
hard-coded into something else in the system.
Then, you turn that computer or printer off for a while.
In the mean time, a dynamically addressed computer turns on and is assigned
that very IP address because you allow the addresses to overlap.
Then, when you turn on the original, fixed address, computer - there is a
conflict.

So, you just make sure the DHCP range and your manual/fixed range don't
overlap. You do this by paying attention to the addresses you configure
manually and by setting the DHCP range elsewhere. Obviously you don't
manually set up the same IP address on two or more devices/computers either!

Fred

Jeff

Fred Marshall wrote:
> Control Panel / Network Connections / Right click on the wireless
> interface / Select Properties / Go to TCP/IP in the list in the inner
> window / highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP / Click on Properties /
> Click box "Use the Following IP Address" / Type in the IP address you
> want to use / type in the netmask you will use probably 255.255.255.0

Thank you very much.

Jeff