Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network path

Network path

=?Utf-8?B?SGFpbGVl?=

Hi

Just posted about seeing files on the network.-maybe i am doing something
wrong. Do both computers have to be on to see the others shared files??

or-when you save files are you meant to save them to the opposite computer ??

I am confused

Any assistance please

Robert Jacobs

Yes, both computers need to be on and connected to the network in order to
access hard drives, printers and other shared devices.

"Hailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Just posted about seeing files on the network.-maybe i am doing something
> wrong. Do both computers have to be on to see the others shared files??
>
> or-when you save files are you meant to save them to the opposite computer
> ??
>
> I am confused
>
> Any assistance please

=?Utf-8?B?SGFpbGVl?=

so then if i want to access files on my laptop-while i am on my pc i must
save it to my laptop right! I really am not usually this stunned ! what i
assumed was that my wireless could access the pc simply because of the
router. I realize that is a bit shortsighted.

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> Yes, both computers need to be on and connected to the network in order to
> access hard drives, printers and other shared devices.
>
> "Hailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > Just posted about seeing files on the network.-maybe i am doing something
> > wrong. Do both computers have to be on to see the others shared files??
> >
> > or-when you save files are you meant to save them to the opposite computer
> > ??
> >
> > I am confused
> >
> > Any assistance please

Robert Jacobs

If you have files on your laptop and want to access them via your desktop,
they are already saved on your laptop. Your router allows connectivity
between your computers, but has nothing to do with file storage. All files
are stored on which ever Hard drive you saved them to. I guess im not
understanding what you expect the network to do for you.

"Hailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> so then if i want to access files on my laptop-while i am on my pc i must
> save it to my laptop right! I really am not usually this stunned ! what
> assumed was that my wireless could access the pc simply because of the
> router. I realize that is a bit shortsighted.
>

> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> Yes, both computers need to be on and connected to the network in order
>> access hard drives, printers and other shared devices.
>>
>> "Hailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Just posted about seeing files on the network.-maybe i am doing
>> > something
>> > wrong. Do both computers have to be on to see the others shared
>> > files??
>> >
>> > or-when you save files are you meant to save them to the opposite
>> > computer
>> > ??
>> >
>> > I am confused
>> >
>> > Any assistance please

Malke

Robert Jacobs wrote:

> If you have files on your laptop and want to access them via your
> desktop, they are already saved on your laptop. Your router allows
> connectivity between your computers, but has nothing to do with file
> storage. All files are stored on which ever Hard drive you saved them
> to. I guess im not understanding what you expect the network to do for
> you.
>

> "Hailee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> so then if i want to access files on my laptop-while i am on my pc i
>> must
>> save it to my laptop right! I really am not usually this stunned !
>> what i

Hailee - find the *first* new post you made. Search on your name. I gave
you lots of links to help you visualize what is happening when you set
up a network.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell