Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Copier that works with XP?

DVD Copier that works with XP?

Alex Clayton

I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so I
can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so. This
machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They have a
version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this. They
were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took :30
the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with WMP
which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on CNET
but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
actually works.???

sandy58

On Oct 1, 3:02 am, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so I
> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so. This
> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They have a
> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
> different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this. They
> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took :30
> the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with WMP
> which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on CNET
> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
> actually works.???

You have recorded stuff from TV on a DVD recorder, Right? Or you WANT
to record from TV to HDD? What are you using to record? DVD Recorder
(as in under the TV type DVD recorder?) Roxi or Roxio? Full name of
software, please Alex. And some more details on what you have and
source.

Alex Clayton

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> You have recorded stuff from TV on a DVD recorder, Right?

Yes, recorded a show on a DVD recorder using DVD+RW discs. I can watch them
on the PC, just wanted to be bale to copy them to hard drive to watch
without the disc.

>Or you WANT
> to record from TV to HDD? What are you using to record? DVD Recorder
> (as in under the TV type DVD recorder?) Roxi or Roxio? Full name of
> software, please Alex. And some more details on what you have and
> source.

Roxi creator LE Dell edition.

I have since tried a few more from CNET, can't remember the names of them
all. There seems to be and endless supply of them. I have come to the
conclusion none of them work with MS, even though they all claimed they did.
I noticed there were a few that did not offer a free trial, you just buy,
and they claim they will refund if it does not work. I gave up. I can see it
would most likely mean doing a charge back to get my money back. I am not
going to buy a Mac, so I guess I will settle for watching off the disc and
give up on the copying to hard drive. They work fine with WMP that way.

I did some reading on Google and Yahoo, and there were lots of questions
like this, with lots of idea's, and none worked for the people trying it. I
have to guess MS has done something prevent this to try to keep people from
doing this with movies. Damn shame. Many of the programs claimed they would
copy protected stuff, which I did not want to do. I it looks like MS has
just blocked everything to prevent this.

sandy58

On Oct 1, 3:02 am, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so I
> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so. This
> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They have a
> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
> different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this. They
> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took :30
> the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with WMP
> which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on CNET
> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
> actually works.???

Alex, all it takes to copy a DVD to hard drive is to make a folder to
receive it, click on the dvd "Video_TS" file and "copy". As long as
you have a DVD Player (software) installed in your PC the DVD will
play.
I use Blaze DVD Player
Download it & crack (addon) below for full version.
http://soft-best.net/en/detail/blazedvd_pro_5001/
Good luck, Alex

Brian

Do you have a DVD burner in your computer?
If so it should have come with burning software that will allow you to copy
a rw disk to an image file. If not try a program called super dvd copy
Roxio will do it with the full version, not sure if you can play the image
file from your hdd though. Check E-Bay for an earlier version someone might
be selling for a cheaper price

Alex Clayton

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Oct 1, 3:02 am, "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so
>> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so.
>> This
>> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They
>> have a
>> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
>> different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this.
>> They
>> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
>> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took
>> :30
>> the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with
>> WMP
>> which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on
>> CNET
>> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
>> actually works.???

> Alex, all it takes to copy a DVD to hard drive is to make a folder to
> receive it, click on the dvd "Video_TS" file and "copy". As long as
> you have a DVD Player (software) installed in your PC the DVD will
> play.
> I use Blaze DVD Player
> Download it & crack (addon) below for full version.
> http://soft-best.net/en/detail/blazedvd_pro_5001/
> Good luck, Alex

The "problem" was not making the copy, it was viewing it after. I tried 5
different programs that "claimed" they would work with the WMP. None of them
would. They create a file that the MS player can not read. After what I have
seen there is no way I would try buying one that would not let me try it
first as I am starting to think MS has blocked this to keep people from
copying Copy Righted stuff at least with their player. I gave up. Even if
the full version of Roxi would work if I was going to pay $100.00 for it I
would be better off to just go to Wal-Mart and buy another DVD recorder and
use one to make copies. I gave up on it, but thanks anyway. I can watch the
stuff off the discs when I want. That will have to do until they come up
with a copy software that will only work with non copy righted stuff like
mine. I'm sure they will sooner or later.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Alex Clayton

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a DVD burner in your computer?
> If so it should have come with burning software that will allow you to
> copy
> a rw disk to an image file. If not try a program called super dvd copy
> Roxio will do it with the full version, not sure if you can play the image
> file from your hdd though. Check E-Bay for an earlier version someone
> might
> be selling for a cheaper price

Thanks but I have tried 5 different software programs that all claimed they
would work with windows, and none would. They create files the WMP will not
work with. It Looks like MS has done this intentionally to try to stop
pirating of Copy righted material using their player. I can watch the stuff
on the PC, so that will have to do for now. I'm done downloading stuff just
to have to remove it when it does not work, and there is no way I would try
one I had to buy up front without trying. I am sure it would lead to having
to do a chargeback the way so many of these are out there, and none work. I
love Ebay but there are a few things I would never touch on there. Software
is one.

Thanks anyway it was an "interesting" learning experience. <G>
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Neil Green

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> On Oct 1, 3:02 am, "Alex Clayton"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on
>>> TV) to my Hard drive, so I
>>> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple
>>> but it seems not so. This
>>> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will
>>> not do this". They have a
>>> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went
>>> to CNET and tried 2
>>> different trial versions of programs that claimed
>>> they would do this. They
>>> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I
>>> would be glad to pay that,
>>> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy
>>> the DVD, and one took :30
>>> the other took an hour, then the file they created
>>> would not open with WMP
>>> which they both claimed they would. They have a
>>> bunch more of these on CNET
>>> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone
>>> knows of one that
>>> actually works.???

>> Alex, all it takes to copy a DVD to hard drive is
>> to make a folder to
>> receive it, click on the dvd "Video_TS" file and
>> "copy". As long as
>> you have a DVD Player (software) installed in your
>> PC the DVD will
>> play.
>> I use Blaze DVD Player
>> Download it & crack (addon) below for full version.
>> http://soft-best.net/en/detail/blazedvd_pro_5001/
>> Good luck, Alex
>>

> The "problem" was not making the copy, it was
> viewing it after. I tried 5 different programs that
> "claimed" they would work with the WMP. None of them
> would. They create a file that the MS player can not
> read. After what I have seen there is no way I would
> try buying one that would not let me try it first as
> I am starting to think MS has blocked this to keep
> people from copying Copy Righted stuff at least with
> their player. I gave up. Even if the full version of
> Roxi would work if I was going to pay $100.00 for it
> I would be better off to just go to Wal-Mart and buy
> another DVD recorder and use one to make copies. I
> gave up on it, but thanks anyway. I can watch the
> stuff off the discs when I want. That will have to
> do until they come up with a copy software that will
> only work with non copy righted stuff like mine. I'm
> sure they will sooner or later.
> --
> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life,
> take big bites.
> Moderation is for monks."
> [Lazarus Long]

If it's not a stupid question, why do you feel
compelled to use WMP?
There are many mutimedia players around, some free,
without the nags and limitations of WMP.
Many of them are much better than WMP.
Also, if you already have the videos on DVD+RW then
there is no special software required to copy these to
your hard drive.
Windows explorer will do the job fine.

Ish

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:02:19 -0700, Alex Clayton wrote:

> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so I
> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so. This
> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They have a
> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
> different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this. They
> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took :30
> the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with WMP
> which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on CNET
> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
> actually works.???

Alex, This works for me, I just tried it since reading your post. Just
copy the VOB files from the dvd to your hard drive and change them from
VOB to MPG. They will play on WMP or any other MPG player like Power DVD,
Nero show time, etc. These programs will play VOB files from you HDD too.
Only works with non copy protected DVDs.

To copy the VOB files, right click on the drive with the dvd in "my
computer" and choose explore, then open the \VIDEO_TS folder, then
highlight any or all VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB) files and copy it/them to a new
folder on your HDD.

Alex Clayton

"Ish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:02:19 -0700, Alex Clayton wrote:
>
>> I want to copy some DVD+RW's, (stuff recorded on TV) to my Hard drive, so
>> can make a copy. I "thought" this would be simple but it seems not so.
>> This
>> machine has Roxi, but it tells me my "version will not do this". They
>> have a
>> version that I guess is better for $100.00. I went to CNET and tried 2
>> different trial versions of programs that claimed they would do this.
>> They
>> were both $39.95 if you wanted to keep them. I would be glad to pay that,
>> but both would not work. I would tell it to copy the DVD, and one took
>> :30
>> the other took an hour, then the file they created would not open with
>> WMP
>> which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on
>> CNET
>> but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
>> actually works.???

> Alex, This works for me, I just tried it since reading your post. Just
> copy the VOB files from the dvd to your hard drive and change them from
> VOB to MPG. They will play on WMP or any other MPG player like Power DVD,
> Nero show time, etc. These programs will play VOB files from you HDD too.
> Only works with non copy protected DVDs.
>
> To copy the VOB files, right click on the drive with the dvd in "my
> computer" and choose explore, then open the \VIDEO_TS folder, then
> highlight any or all VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB) files and copy it/them to a new
> folder on your HDD.

Ok I put in a recorded DVD opened VIDEO_TS folder,

This is what's there:

VIDEO_TS VIDEO_TS VIDEO_TS.INFO VTS_01_0

VTS_01_0.INFO VTS_01_1 VTS_01_2

I copied all of these to another folder, if any of them are not needed I
guess I can delete it? All this came from one DVD+RW with just one show
recorded on it. How do I change them to MPG? After that do you just click
one of them to play? A couple of these icons have the WMP icon, if I click
them it opens the WMP but it says "the file has an extension (.BUP) not
recognized by WMP.