Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer name change changed network access

Computer name change changed network access

=?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=

Running two computers at home, a desktop linked to my cable modem and router,
and a notebook with a wireless card. Both are running Windows XP.

Both machines communicating with each other just fine (I could access files
from one to the other in both directions) until I had to change the name of
my notebook to get access to a university network. When I got back home, the
shared folders on the desktop show up in the notebook's My Computer/My
Network Places folder, but I can't access them. On the desktop, I can no
longer "see" the laptop.

I know this occurred because I changed the laptop's computer name. What do I
need to do to re-establish contact, other than changing the name back
(because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?

Thanks,

pjs

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Sounds like name resolution issue. Have enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also you
should not keep change the workgroup/domain name. These links may help,

Name ResolutionThe ping command uses Windows Sockets-style name resolution
to resolve a computer name to an IP address, so if pinging by address
succeeds, but pinging by ...
www.chicagotech.net/nameresolution.htm

workgroup networking faqs
You should be able to logon the domain at work and home, and the
laptop can access the workgroup resources too. 2) logon domain user on the
domain laptop ...
www.chicagotech.net/workgroupnet.htm

Domain FAQs
Domain or Workgroup Name is gray out How configure TCP/IP to
access to different networks How to access different domain without changing
the network ...
www.chicagotech.net/domainfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"pjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running two computers at home, a desktop linked to my cable modem and
> router,
> and a notebook with a wireless card. Both are running Windows XP.
>
> Both machines communicating with each other just fine (I could access
> files
> from one to the other in both directions) until I had to change the name
> of
> my notebook to get access to a university network. When I got back home,
> the
> shared folders on the desktop show up in the notebook's My Computer/My
> Network Places folder, but I can't access them. On the desktop, I can no
> longer "see" the laptop.
>
> I know this occurred because I changed the laptop's computer name. What do
> need to do to re-establish contact, other than changing the name back
> (because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> pjs

=?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=

Robert --

Thanks for the answer, but it's a bit over my head. I'm at the level of
wondering if I need to re-run the wireless networking wizard or something
simple like that.

pjs

"Robert L (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sounds like name resolution issue. Have enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also you
> should not keep change the workgroup/domain name. These links may help,
>
> Name ResolutionThe ping command uses Windows Sockets-style name resolution
> to resolve a computer name to an IP address, so if pinging by address
> succeeds, but pinging by ...
> www.chicagotech.net/nameresolution.htm
>
> workgroup networking faqs
> You should be able to logon the domain at work and home, and the
> laptop can access the workgroup resources too. 2) logon domain user on the
> domain laptop ...
> www.chicagotech.net/workgroupnet.htm
>
> Domain FAQs
> Domain or Workgroup Name is gray out How configure TCP/IP to
> access to different networks How to access different domain without changing
> the network ...
> www.chicagotech.net/domainfaqs.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "pjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Running two computers at home, a desktop linked to my cable modem and
> > router,
> > and a notebook with a wireless card. Both are running Windows XP.
> >
> > Both machines communicating with each other just fine (I could access
> > files
> > from one to the other in both directions) until I had to change the name
> > of
> > my notebook to get access to a university network. When I got back home,
> > the
> > shared folders on the desktop show up in the notebook's My Computer/My
> > Network Places folder, but I can't access them. On the desktop, I can no
> > longer "see" the laptop.
> >
> > I know this occurred because I changed the laptop's computer name. What do
> > need to do to re-establish contact, other than changing the name back
> > (because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > pjs

Bruce W. Darby

pjs,

Did you change the 'computer name'? Or was it the 'domain name'? Or the
'Workgroup name'? You should never have to change your Computer Name to log
on to any network, though the admin's of the network may need to know what
the name of your computer is.

I found a link to a bit of shareware software that may assist you in moving
from your school network to your home network...

http://www.netswitcher.com/

The also make a freeware utility called NetStumbler that is supposed to do
the same thing, but with limitations. Good luck in your search for an
answer.
"pjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running two computers at home, a desktop linked to my cable modem and
> router,
> and a notebook with a wireless card. Both are running Windows XP.
>
> Both machines communicating with each other just fine (I could access
> files
> from one to the other in both directions) until I had to change the name
> of
> my notebook to get access to a university network. When I got back home,
> the
> shared folders on the desktop show up in the notebook's My Computer/My
> Network Places folder, but I can't access them. On the desktop, I can no
> longer "see" the laptop.
>
> I know this occurred because I changed the laptop's computer name. What do
> need to do to re-establish contact, other than changing the name back
> (because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> pjs

=?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=

Bruce --

The only thing I changed was teh Computer Name. Domain and Workgroup names
were unchanged. When I requested access to the university network, I got a
message saying the name "Notebook" was already in use, and I needed a unique
computer name. Ergo the switch.

I figured this would be easier to fix than I'm finding itr to be.

pjs

"Bruce W. Darby" wrote:

> pjs,
>
> Did you change the 'computer name'? Or was it the 'domain name'? Or the
> 'Workgroup name'? You should never have to change your Computer Name to log
> on to any network, though the admin's of the network may need to know what
> the name of your computer is.
>
> I found a link to a bit of shareware software that may assist you in moving
> from your school network to your home network...
>
> http://www.netswitcher.com/
>
> The also make a freeware utility called NetStumbler that is supposed to do
> the same thing, but with limitations. Good luck in your search for an
> answer.
> "pjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Running two computers at home, a desktop linked to my cable modem and
> > router,
> > and a notebook with a wireless card. Both are running Windows XP.
> >
> > Both machines communicating with each other just fine (I could access
> > files
> > from one to the other in both directions) until I had to change the name
> > of
> > my notebook to get access to a university network. When I got back home,
> > the
> > shared folders on the desktop show up in the notebook's My Computer/My
> > Network Places folder, but I can't access them. On the desktop, I can no
> > longer "see" the laptop.
> >
> > I know this occurred because I changed the laptop's computer name. What do
> > need to do to re-establish contact, other than changing the name back
> > (because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > pjs

Bruce W. Darby

pjs,

How did you originally join the laptop wirelessly to the home network? Did
you use the Network Setup Wizard? Or did you use the Wireless Network Setup
Wizard? If you used the Wireless Network Setup Wizard, did you elect to save
your Wizard settings to a diskette or a USB drive? I would connect to the
network at home, then insert the diskette or USB drive and elect to rejoin
the home network. This should cause the Wireless Network Setup Wizard to
rewrite the information for your computer so that you can properly connect
to your home network and should be all that is required.

Bruce