Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Newbie question

Reply
Thread Tools

Newbie question

 
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005
I already have a wired network at home, and I'm just about to install a
router and a pci card in one of the pc's rather than run cables.

It seems that the router (belkin) has 4 network sockets, so I'm guessing
that I'll be ditching the old hub in favour of plugging the pc's that were
connected to it into the router instead.

The cable tv box provides the internet connection. At the moment, to get
online I need to start the main pc first, then the others. With the new set
up, will I be able to use any one of the pc's without the rest being on - as
long as the router and cable box are powered up?

I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?

Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mikeFNB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NIiEd.318$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I already have a wired network at home, and I'm just about to install a
> router and a pci card in one of the pc's rather than run cables.
>
> It seems that the router (belkin) has 4 network sockets, so I'm guessing
> that I'll be ditching the old hub in favour of plugging the pc's that were
> connected to it into the router instead.
>
> The cable tv box provides the internet connection.

plug the STB or CM into the WAN socket of the router.
then the PC's into the LAN router sockets.
disable ICS (if ever used)

POWER EVERYTHING OFF AT THE MAINS.

power CM/STB let it settle.
power router let it settle
power PC's
let them get auto IP.
away you go.

don't forget you will need AVG free & ZA free on EVERY machine.
configure ZA free to allow (trusted zones) the router & the other ip's ad's

At the moment, to get
> online I need to start the main pc first, then the others. With the new

set
> up, will I be able to use any one of the pc's without the rest being on -

as
> long as the router and cable box are powered up?


yes

>
> I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
> addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?


yes it the router's config menus

mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
Hi

The general connection should look like this:
http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

The word security is used to describe both Internet security, and Wireless
security

However it is Not the same.

Wireless - Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html

Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).




"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NIiEd.318$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I already have a wired network at home, and I'm just about to install a
> router and a pci card in one of the pc's rather than run cables.
>
> It seems that the router (belkin) has 4 network sockets, so I'm guessing
> that I'll be ditching the old hub in favour of plugging the pc's that were
> connected to it into the router instead.
>
> The cable tv box provides the internet connection. At the moment, to get
> online I need to start the main pc first, then the others. With the new

set
> up, will I be able to use any one of the pc's without the rest being on -

as
> long as the router and cable box are powered up?
>
> I'm also a bit worried about security. I'd like to allow only the MAC
> addresses of the pc's on my network access - I assume that's possible?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2005


>> The cable tv box provides the internet connection.

> plug the STB or CM into the WAN socket of the router.
> then the PC's into the LAN router sockets.
> disable ICS (if ever used)
>
> POWER EVERYTHING OFF AT THE MAINS.
>
> power CM/STB let it settle.
> power router let it settle
> power PC's
> let them get auto IP.
> away you go.
>
> don't forget you will need AVG free & ZA free on EVERY machine.
> configure ZA free to allow (trusted zones) the router & the other ip's
> ad's


OK - understood.

Currently I run AVG or Norton on all machines - do I need to disable these
before setup starts?

The firewall I'm using is the windows XP home (sp2) one - do I have to
disable that first?

Currently I share the internet, and I'm assuming that I'm using ICS. I let
windows set up the network. Do I have to manually disable this first?

I don't know is the router will automatically set up the internet
connection. I did read elsewhere that the cable company sees the new kit as
new and I need to run the setup disk again. If this happens, can I set up
the network first and then add the internet later?

Thanks




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VONAGE Newbie w/newbie question New_kid@nowhere.new VOIP 0 08-11-2007 01:40 PM
another newbie question from another newbie.... Lee UK VOIP 4 05-17-2005 04:10 PM
newbie: cisco vlan newbie question No Spam Cisco 3 06-07-2004 10:02 AM
dumb newbie question (or newbie dumb question) Jerry C. Perl Misc 8 11-23-2003 04:11 AM
Newbie! I'm a newbie! What's wrong with this program? Id0x Python 4 07-20-2003 11:40 PM



Advertisments