Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Most common XML/XSD validations?

Most common XML/XSD validations?

Mike Schilling

Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> XHTML.

> (slaps forehead) Of course! That would have to be one
> of the 'big ones', at least in terms of the the sheer volume
> of documents - I will include it as well.

Also WSDL and XMLSchema itself. I know of several tools for parsing each
of those, but none I trust to find all the errors in them.

Andrew Thompson

Piotr Kobzda wrote:
>So the 'memorySizeType' in current version of XSD seams to be incorrect.

Yep. It was.

> It likely should be defined as:
>
><xs:simpleType name="memorySizeType">
> <xs:restriction base="xs:token">
> <xsattern value="[0-9]+[km]?"/>
> </xs:restriction>
></xs:simpleType>

Done. The *new* version has been uploaded.

(Other replies as time/answers permit!)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
(JNLP 6.0 XSD)
>...The *new* version has been uploaded.

(..or at least, it is now..)
Version 2007/10/04 - 0.4
<http://www.physci.org/JNLP-6.0.xsd>

--

Roedy Green wrote:
>>It is a freeware tool that validates XML against
>>XML Schema Definitions (XSD). It can be found here.
>><http://www.physci.org/xml/xmltools.html#yaxv>

>I have a problem using this. Try validating
>http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.jnlp with
>an old JNLP xsd,
>http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippet/jnlp-xml-schema.xsd

For the moment, I will restrict* testing to the
simpler validator, XMLValidate. I have added
the two URLs to version 0.5 of..
<http://www.physci.org/test/xml/XMLValidate.java>
The output I get when selecting the two files, is..

Create schema from
'http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippet/jnlp-xml-schema.xsd'.
Schema created successfully.
Validate content from
'http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.jnlp' against schema.
org.xml. ..
Total (warning, error, fatal) errors detected: 8

Alternately, when I compare it against the XSD for
the latest 6.0 XSD (off the PhySci site)

Create schema from
'http://www.physci.org/JNLP-6.0.xsd'.
Schema created successfully.
Validate content from
'http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.jnlp' against schema.
Total (warning, error, fatal) errors detected: 0

That sounds pretty logical, given the mindprod
XSD is for an older version.

OK - whatever errors remain, are peculiar to YAX-V -
I'll look into it after the rework*.

Thanks for the report.

* At the moment, YAX-V is undergoing a huge rework
that will address most of the bugs and RFEs so
far mentioned. But I'd like to clarify validation
against DTDs, before I go too far with that.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew Thompson

Mike Schilling wrote:
>>> XHTML.

>Also WSDL ..

Not very familiar with WSDL, but based on
one recommendation, sure thing.

>..and XMLSchema itself.

That's a good idea.

>.. I know of several tools for parsing each
>of those, but none I trust to find all the errors in them.

Well - I am hoping we all understand the difference
between malformed, invalid, and just plain wrong -
as fas as the data/content goes, GIGO!

--

On Sep 30, 6:27 am, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
> I am after suggestions for inclusions in the
> list, of common XSD files.

<http://www.physci.org/lib.html>
<http://www.physci.org/lib.html#xsd-url>
<http://www.physci.org/lib.html#dtd-url>
<http://www.physci.org/lib.html#namedlink>

Note that neither of the first two 'demos'
works at the moment, but can be seen in the
lasyt demo. I will look into it when I have
time. More discussion later.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> I am after suggestions for inclusions in the
>> list, of common XSD files.

><http://www.physci.org/lib.html>

A new physci page. libs availalbe for use by
Java Web Start apps. I intend to include things
like JMF and perhaps JAI, but for the moment it
only includes these (trivial) examples that I wanted
to finish in order to test my understanding of
deploying component extensions.

><http://www.physci.org/lib.html#xsd-url>

This comprises the list of XSDs for which I've
currently defined 'named link' pairs.

Have I got the best versions to go with?
Some of the URLs seemed quite arbitrary, when
there were multiple hits for that schema.

><http://www.physci.org/lib.html#dtd-url>

I did not originally ask for suggestions of DTDs, but
thanks to Piotr's help I now understand how to validate
against DTDs as well - so I intend to offer DTD validation
in the validator.

Any suggestions for inclusion of DTDs?

><http://www.physci.org/lib.html#namedlink>

Intended as a demo. of the named link bean itself.

This links to ..
- a demo that includes both 'named link' files
previously mentioned.
- The JavaDoc for the NamedLink class (most
of the 'frames' etc. links are broken - I only
uploaded that page)

>Note that neither of the first two 'demos'
>works at the moment, but can be seen in the
>lasyt demo.

All fixed now.