Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Automatically assign SSID, Authentication and Network Key

Automatically assign SSID, Authentication and Network Key

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgVy4gRGFyYnk=?=

My brain is mush from trying to find an answer to this issue, but I'm hoping
that someone here in the community has been driven as nuts as I and still
forged forward and found the answer.

I am creating a slipstreamed installation CD for our work laptops that would
allow Windows XP Pro SP2 to be installed without user intervention. We have a
wireless network that I would like to connect to without them having to enter
the SSID, Encryption method or Network Key. Windows Connect Now allows one to
save the settings to an XML file on a USB drive, but this method still
requires the user to 'choose' to connect to the network. This is unacceptable
in my work environment. Has anyone discovered a method of programmatically
assigning an SSID, Encryption method and Network Key to a wireless network
during installation of Windows XP SP2? I've googled all over the Internet and
come up against a blank wall.

Steve Riley [MSFT]

I'm not a developer so I can't confirm if this will give you everything you
need, but go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...i/wififaq.mspx

And look at the second question under "Wireless Auto Configuration."

--
Steve Riley
http://blogs.technet.com/steriley

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'm not a developer so I can't confirm if this will give you everything you
> need, but go here:

Steve,

While I hadn't seen the faq page, the information it linked to I have and it
won't help me because, as you, I am not a developer. But there was a link
on one of the pages I followed that looks extremely promising. I'll need to
get it to one of our dev's to see if they can work out a method whereby we
can get the job done. Thanks much for the lead!

Pavel A.

Bruce,

For managed environments, it is better that all laptops be equipped with
same wireless device & driver that supports managed setup.
For one, PROset software for Centrino wi-fi adapters can do what you need -
a proven, real life solution, free of any Windows domain or group policy complications.
Other vendors may have similar solutions.
The worst thing is if you let all users install their random mix of adapters and software.

Regards,
--PA

"Bruce W. Darby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I'm not a developer so I can't confirm if this will give you everything you
>> need, but go here:

> Steve,
>
> While I hadn't seen the faq page, the information it linked to I have and it
> won't help me because, as you, I am not a developer. But there was a link
> on one of the pages I followed that looks extremely promising. I'll need to
> get it to one of our dev's to see if they can work out a method whereby we
> can get the job done. Thanks much for the lead!

Bruce W. Darby

Thanks Pavel. I'll check that out. I'm not averse to trying to learn a
little scripting, but major programming is outside my area of expertise at
the moment.

Bruce

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bruce,
>
> For managed environments, it is better that all laptops be equipped with
> same wireless device & driver that supports managed setup.
> For one, PROset software for Centrino wi-fi adapters can do what you
> need -
> a proven, real life solution, free of any Windows domain or group policy
> complications.
> Other vendors may have similar solutions.
> The worst thing is if you let all users install their random mix of
> adapters and software.
>
> Regards,
> --PA
>

> "Bruce W. Darby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not a developer so I can't confirm if this will give you everything
>>> you
>>> need, but go here:

>> Steve,
>>
>> While I hadn't seen the faq page, the information it linked to I have and
>> it
>> won't help me because, as you, I am not a developer. But there was a
>> link
>> on one of the pages I followed that looks extremely promising. I'll need
>> get it to one of our dev's to see if they can work out a method whereby
>> we
>> can get the job done. Thanks much for the lead!

maxtaurus1

"Bruce W. Darby" wrote:

> My brain is mush from trying to find an answer to this issue, but I'm hoping
> that someone here in the community has been driven as nuts as I and still
> forged forward and found the answer.
>
> I am creating a slipstreamed installation CD for our work laptops that would
> allow Windows XP Pro SP2 to be installed without user intervention. We have a
> wireless network that I would like to connect to without them having to enter
> the SSID, Encryption method or Network Key. Windows Connect Now allows one to
> save the settings to an XML file on a USB drive, but this method still
> requires the user to 'choose' to connect to the network. This is unacceptable
> in my work environment. Has anyone discovered a method of programmatically
> assigning an SSID, Encryption method and Network Key to a wireless network
> during installation of Windows XP SP2? I've googled all over the Internet and
> come up against a blank wall.

maxtaurus1

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'm not a developer so I can't confirm if this will give you everything you
> need, but go here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...i/wififaq.mspx
>
> And look at the second question under "Wireless Auto Configuration."
>

> --
> Steve Riley
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://blogs.technet.com/steriley
> http://www.protectyourwindowsnetwork.com
>

> "Bruce W. Darby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My brain is mush from trying to find an answer to this issue, but I'm
> > hoping
> > that someone here in the community has been driven as nuts as I and still
> > forged forward and found the answer.
> >
> > I am creating a slipstreamed installation CD for our work laptops that
> > would
> > allow Windows XP Pro SP2 to be installed without user intervention. We
> > have a
> > wireless network that I would like to connect to without them having to
> > enter
> > the SSID, Encryption method or Network Key. Windows Connect Now allows one
> > save the settings to an XML file on a USB drive, but this method still
> > requires the user to 'choose' to connect to the network. This is
> > unacceptable
> > in my work environment. Has anyone discovered a method of programmatically
> > assigning an SSID, Encryption method and Network Key to a wireless network
> > during installation of Windows XP SP2? I've googled all over the Internet
> > and
> > come up against a blank wall.

maxtaurus1