Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Add-ins That'll assist a Visually Impaired user

Add-ins That'll assist a Visually Impaired user

Mike

An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

Mike

John Holmes

Mike "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
> screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is

out
> there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
>
> Mike

Start>run
type "magnify"
hit "enter"
In magnifier, hit escape to enter the configuration menu.

--
Your mother was a cigar-smoking taxi-driver who drank heavily under the
influence of alcohol.

meerkat

> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the
> LCD screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What
> else is out there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

Hi Mike
Something like a Screen magnifier ?
One example here.
http://www.ic-online.co.uk/it050002.htm

or here..
http://www.xpscreenreader.com/index.php?tab=o&cPath=254

Alfred

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
>
>Mike

These are available.
I set one up for a blind lady a couple of years ago. Unfortunately
cannot recall which one.

http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse...sc=42&it=1&l=3

http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/browse...sc=46&it=1&l=3

Evan Platt

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

Why download anything?

Windows has it built in.

Press Windows button + U

Alfred

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:18:18 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
>>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
>>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
>>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

>Why download anything?

Because the built in utility is not suitable for everyone

>Windows has it built in.
>
>Press Windows button + U

chuckcar

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8etLi.69$Gk2.2@trndny04:

> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
> screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is
> out there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?
>
> Mike

There are a *whole* bunch of things dedicated to just this such a thing
in accessability options under add/remove programs. The magnifier is
one, there is a mouse cursor "highlighter" so you can find it easier and
so on.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
>impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
>screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
>there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

I thought a magnifying glass (pane) would work, found one.

goto www.froogle.com enter:
screen magnifier

--

The Greatest Prank Call Ever - Well, pretty decent...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI&eurl=

Ken Blake, MVP

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:24:04 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> An employee developed a severe case of diabetes and is now visually
> impaired. He needs to use a magnifying glass to read data on the LCD
> screen. I requested a 21" LCD monitor for him to use. What else is out
> there that might help him? Will XP Power Tools help?

You've gotten a couple of replies about magnification. He might also
want to look into software that reads the text out loud to speakers or
earphones.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Aardvark

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:36:21 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

> The Greatest Prank Call Ever - Well, pretty decent...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI&eurl=

Enjoyed the hell out of that one, mate. My 14-year old lad was in pleats
of laughter.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together

Making Java programs accessible for visually impaired users Ross Java 2 08-12-2011 10:48 PM
Is there any tools to create User Interface (Dialogs...) for wxPython visually? App Python 2 11-24-2004 07:44 PM
Needed: Python IDE for the visually impaired Michael Chermside Python 1 05-08-2004 06:56 AM
CSS & Visually Impaired Sharon HTML 6 02-24-2004 01:21 AM
Hearing impaired?? Computer Support 0 07-09-2003 01:21 PM

Advertisments