Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem: Award BIOS, hard-disk access mode

Problem: Award BIOS, hard-disk access mode

Jimmy Dean

For 160 GB SATA HDD

The choices are CHS, LBA, Large, Auto

"Auto" setting gives the same number in the table following as does
CHS, so one presumes that the HD is being used in CHS mode when the
setting is Auto.

But the drive itself says to use LBA mode

The PC has always been rather slow (core 2 Duo E6600) so I'm wondering
if the HD is the bottleneck?

You thoughts please

TIA
jd

wisdomkiller & pain

Jimmy Dean wrote:

> For 160 GB SATA HDD
>
> The choices are CHS, LBA, Large, Auto
>
> "Auto" setting gives the same number in the table following as does
> CHS, so one presumes that the HD is being used in CHS mode when the
> setting is Auto.
>
> But the drive itself says to use LBA mode
>
> The PC has always been rather slow (core 2 Duo E6600) so I'm wondering
> if the HD is the bottleneck?

"LBA" for drives <137G (1024 notation), "auto" is mandatory for any bigger
drive since it should support lba48 as well.
Anyways, when the drive is detected with correct size, that shouldn't have
influence on speed.
Check for pio or dma/udma settings, make sure you have installed the proper
chipset drivers.