Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New scanner

New scanner

lekan81@gmail.com

Hey

I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
digital.

I have found 3 Canon.
CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.

I dont have alot of money to spend, but I donīt want to buy a bad
one...

I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
really need that?

Max 200$

Michael, Denmark

sheepdog 2007

On 2007-09-28 08:45:29 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hey
>
> I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
> digital.
>
> I have found 3 Canon.
> CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
>
> I dont have alot of money to spend, but I donīt want to buy a bad
> one...
>
> I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
> really need that?
>
> Max 200$
>
> Michael, Denmark

I've been using the Canoscan 9950F for about a year, and I like the
results. If you'd like to look at my website, all the pictures which
were shot on film (usually Kodachromes; the text will say whether it's
film or digital capture) were scanned on this machine.
--
web.mac.com/olddognewtrick

ray

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:45:29 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hey
>
> I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
> digital.
>
> I have found 3 Canon.
> CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
>
> I dont have alot of money to spend, but I donÂīt want to buy a bad
> one...
>
> I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
> really need that?
>
> Max 200$
>
> Michael, Denmark

FWIW - I've had excellent results with refurb stuff from the Epson online
store.

AAvK

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hey
>
> I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
> digital.
>
> I have found 3 Canon.
> CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
>
> I dont have alot of money to spend, but I donīt want to buy a bad
> one...
>
> I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
> really need that?
>
> Max 200$
>
> Michael, Denmark

Aside from other mentionings, I suggest, is the factor of Dmax ratings of any given
scanner's capability. I have read that the densest (darkest) film can become is 3.9 so
find a machine that has such a rating or 4.0 or the like.

Mine is a Minolta "Dimage" scan dual III which does the trick quite well, plus 16/48
bit color depth. The scan dual IV (4) has a Dmax rating that is smaller, or less, like
3.6. The higher that number, the more and better shadow detail can be attained from
darker exposures.

But these two machines I have mentioned are for 35mm and APS films only.

For 120 film I use a Umax Powerlook III flatbed with a TMA (transparent media
adapter LOL) which is a really major light lid with it's own robotics for the moving
lamp. This scanner's Dmax is 3.4 and color depth of 14/42... but it works fine
because of the large area of those sizes of film frame, another cosideration.

Somehow it just happens to happen that way. But it is far more important for the
smaller films to have a scanner with a high as possible Dmax rating.

And tell your Danish handplane making companies to PLEASE start marketing to the
Americas!

--
Giant_Alex
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/