Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 1.5 install question

Thunderbird 1.5 install question

Newfdog

Hi all..... I understand that it is wise to uninstall a previous version
of Thunderbird before installing the newer version. Does this mean that
I will have to go through the configuration process, setting up accounts
etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain from the old
install?

Newfdog

gwtc

Newfdog wrote:

> Hi all..... I understand that it is wise to uninstall a previous version
> of Thunderbird before installing the newer version. Does this mean that
> I will have to go through the configuration process, setting up accounts
> etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain from the old
> install?
>
> Newfdog

all your settings, prefs, passwords, mail, etc are stored in an area
called your profile. Your profile directory is separate from the
program directory. When you uninstall the program, you're only
removing the program, not the profile.

You can either uninstall or install over top. Either way, its your
choice.

Newfdog

gwtc wrote:
> Newfdog wrote:
>
>> Hi all..... I understand that it is wise to uninstall a previous
>> version of Thunderbird before installing the newer version. Does this
>> mean that I will have to go through the configuration process, setting
>> up accounts etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain
>> from the old install?
>>
>> Newfdog

> all your settings, prefs, passwords, mail, etc are stored in an area
> called your profile. Your profile directory is separate from the
> program directory. When you uninstall the program, you're only removing
> the program, not the profile.
>
> You can either uninstall or install over top. Either way, its your choice.

Thanks.. I installed over top and everything is fine.

Newfdog

Jim

Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
upgrading?

Onc concern:
This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
Netscape release?

Jim

gwtc

Jim wrote:
> Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
> now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
> upgrading?
>
> Onc concern:
> This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
> site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
> linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
> junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
> Netscape release?
>
> Jim

The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
worry about that, its all part of the same group.

where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

Jim

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
<TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
>> now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
>> upgrading?
>>
>> Onc concern:
>> This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
>> site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
>> linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
>> junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
>> Netscape release?
>>
>> Jim
>>

>The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
>Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
>worry about that, its all part of the same group.
>
>where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
>release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
xxxxx.netscape.com

When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

SteveG

Jim wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
> <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:
>
>> Jim wrote:
>>> Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
>>> now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
>>> upgrading?
>>>
>>> Onc concern:
>>> This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
>>> site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
>>> linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
>>> junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
>>> Netscape release?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
>> Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
>> worry about that, its all part of the same group.
>>
>> where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
>> release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

> The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
> mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
> xxxxx.netscape.com
>
> When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

I would guess that these are mirror sites - they have the same file to
download but help to share the bandwidth at times of high usage.

--
Regards

Steve G

gwtc

SteveG wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
>><TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:

>>>The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
>>>Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
>>>worry about that, its all part of the same group.
>>>
>>>where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
>>>release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

>> The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
>>mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
>> xxxxx.netscape.com
>>
>>When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

> I would guess that these are mirror sites - they have the same file to
> download but help to share the bandwidth at times of high usage.

it probably is