Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 40D GETS EXTREME !

40D GETS EXTREME !

Annika1980

I always like to push the limits of my equipment so I thought I'd see
what the 40D could do at the extreme edge of sanity. Here's one taken
this AM at ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. Try THAT with
your crappy P&S camera!

Didn't have to use the 400 f/5.6L for that one since I was wearing my
red shirt and sitting about 4 feet from the bird. Nothing like sitting
there quietly enjoying my Diet Coke and then feeling the air taken
away from my ear as the hummer hovers. If you've never heard a hummer
up close you don't hear them as much as feel them as their wings move
the air in a soothing hum. It's also fun to see them hover two feet
in front of your face. The little suckers have no fear since they
know they can evade anything with their flying prowess. Or maybe it
was just the red hat.

-Mr. Extreme

Harold Hughes - Activity Director

Annika1980 wrote:
> I always like to push the limits of my equipment so I thought I'd see
> what the 40D could do at the extreme edge of sanity. Here's one taken
> this AM at ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. Try THAT with
> your crappy P&S camera!

> Didn't have to use the 400 f/5.6L for that one since I was wearing my
> red shirt and sitting about 4 feet from the bird. Nothing like sitting
> there quietly enjoying my Diet Coke and then feeling the air taken
> away from my ear as the hummer hovers. If you've never heard a hummer
> up close you don't hear them as much as feel them as their wings move
> the air in a soothing hum. It's also fun to see them hover two feet
> in front of your face. The little suckers have no fear since they
> know they can evade anything with their flying prowess. Or maybe it
> was just the red hat.
>
> -Mr. Extreme

Amazing shot, Thank you Mr. Extreme

Annika1980

On Sep 28, 11:08 am, Harold Hughes - Activity Director <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86334400/original

> Amazing shot, Thank you Mr. Extreme

Thanks. I know Noons will love them as well.

I forgot to mention the two flashes used for this shot.
The 580EX was on camera with the Gary Fong Lightsphere. The 430EX was
off camera two feet to the right of the bird (viewer's right). Both
cameras were set on High-Speed sync, but I'm not sure how much light
they actually contributed to the pic at 1/8000. You can see a small
catchlight in the bird's eye from the Lightsphere, however.

Annika1980 wrote:
> On Sep 28, 11:08 am, Harold Hughes - Activity Director <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86334400/original

>> Amazing shot, Thank you Mr. Extreme

> Thanks. I know Noons will love them as well.
>
> I forgot to mention the two flashes used for this shot.
> The 580EX was on camera with the Gary Fong Lightsphere. The 430EX was
> off camera two feet to the right of the bird (viewer's right). Both
> cameras were set on High-Speed sync, but I'm not sure how much light
> they actually contributed to the pic at 1/8000. You can see a small
> catchlight in the bird's eye from the Lightsphere, however.

No matter, it is still a great shot, This is also a picture tells a
thousand words type of shot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35543731@N00/1446528447/

It is very dry here at the moment.

Eric Miller

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I always like to push the limits of my equipment so I thought I'd see
> what the 40D could do at the extreme edge of sanity. Here's one taken
> this AM at ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. Try THAT with
> your crappy P&S camera!

> Didn't have to use the 400 f/5.6L for that one since I was wearing my
> red shirt and sitting about 4 feet from the bird. Nothing like sitting
> there quietly enjoying my Diet Coke and then feeling the air taken
> away from my ear as the hummer hovers. If you've never heard a hummer
> up close you don't hear them as much as feel them as their wings move
> the air in a soothing hum. It's also fun to see them hover two feet
> in front of your face. The little suckers have no fear since they
> know they can evade anything with their flying prowess. Or maybe it
> was just the red hat.
>
> -Mr. Extreme

It's a good shot to show those extremes and what your camera can do, but
next time you give this a try, you may want to get both flashes off-camera
(if you have the ST-E2 transmitter) and put them close to the bird to get
better colors from the feathers. Your Gary Fong device is doing you no
favors here as it is sending a considerable amount of your flash output in
directions that won't help illuminate the bird. To diffuse flashes that are
close to the bird, you may want to try a Westcott Micro Apollo or a similar
diffuser.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

helensilverburg@hotmail.com

On Sep 28, 10:55 am, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I always like to push the limits of my equipment so I thought I'd see
> what the 40D could do at the extreme edge of sanity. Here's one taken
> this AM at ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. Try THAT with
> your crappy P&S camera!

> Didn't have to use the 400 f/5.6L for that one since I was wearing my
> red shirt and sitting about 4 feet from the bird. Nothing like sitting
> there quietly enjoying my Diet Coke and then feeling the air taken
> away from my ear as the hummer hovers. If you've never heard a hummer
> up close you don't hear them as much as feel them as their wings move
> the air in a soothing hum. It's also fun to see them hover two feet
> in front of your face. The little suckers have no fear since they
> know they can evade anything with their flying prowess. Or maybe it
> was just the red hat.
>
> -Mr. Extreme

Phenomenal!

Annika1980

On Sep 28, 11:49 am, "Eric Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/86334400/original

> It's a good shot to show those extremes and what your camera can do, but
> next time you give this a try, you may want to get both flashes off-camera
> (if you have the ST-E2 transmitter) and put them close to the bird to get
> better colors from the feathers.

I doubt it would make much of a difference since the pic was taken
in bright sunlight with the sun directly behind the camera. Now if
I'd used a couple of big studio strobes at night, that would be
different.
So while the colors might not have the pop that the strobes provide,
I think it presents a more natural look. YMMV.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Eric Miller wrote:

> It's a good shot to show those extremes and what your camera can do,
> but next time you give this a try, you may want to get both flashes
> off-camera (if you have the ST-E2 transmitter) and put them close to
> the bird to get better colors from the feathers. Your Gary Fong
> device is doing you no favors here as it is sending a considerable
> amount of your flash output in directions that won't help illuminate
> the bird. To diffuse flashes that are close to the bird, you may want
> to try a Westcott Micro Apollo or a similar diffuser.

Pocket Wizards will vastly improve this image under these circumstances.

<http://www.pocketwizard.com/>

Rita

Draco

On Sep 28, 10:55 am, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I always like to push the limits of my equipment so I thought I'd see
> what the 40D could do at the extreme edge of sanity. Here's one taken
> this AM at ISO 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. Try THAT with
> your crappy P&S camera!

> Didn't have to use the 400 f/5.6L for that one since I was wearing my
> red shirt and sitting about 4 feet from the bird. Nothing like sitting
> there quietly enjoying my Diet Coke and then feeling the air taken
> away from my ear as the hummer hovers. If you've never heard a hummer
> up close you don't hear them as much as feel them as their wings move
> the air in a soothing hum. It's also fun to see them hover two feet
> in front of your face. The little suckers have no fear since they
> know they can evade anything with their flying prowess. Or maybe it
> was just the red hat.
>
> -Mr. Extreme

Dang! Great shot. A bit of noise. But a lot less than I thought it
would be. Even with the sun behind the camera position the fill flash
would make the color pop just a bit more. But I'm with you on using
natural light in shooting these little guys.

Still a great job of capture.

Draco

Enjoy today. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Ali

Bit noisy isn't it?

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...