Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Error when I select View Workgroup Computers

Error when I select View Workgroup Computers

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

I wen tto Hello, Please can someone help me!
I have a Sony Desktop (P4), with XP Home Edition, with SP2 and latest
updates etc.
In the past I tried (unsuccessfully) to setup a small Home Network and gave
up - knowing that I'd done something wrong.
I recently upgraded my DSL connection, and now own a high wuality (2WIRE)
Home Portal - to connect to the Internet (3MBPS connection! cool).
I now want to network to my other computers.
They can use the HomePortal and connect to the internet at the same (cool!)
speed.
I did the following:
I opened up My Network Places and selected "set up a home or small office
network"
It seemed to work... letting me create e new profile - I called it
rm-home-network
I restarted and then went to the same My Network Connections.
I then selected view workgroup computers and get the following error:

"rm-home-network is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

I have no other profiles created on my computer...

I feel that previously I have damaged somthing on this desktop:

I had oreviusly tried to create a profile and done something wrong.

I cannot afford to pay huge amounts of money to Microsoft to get a ticket...
they will not help me for free - and when I try they refer me to Sony... who
equally will not help me for free.

Last edited by Ian; 03-17-2008 at 11:01 PM..

Malke

Robert wrote:

> I wen tto Hello, Please can someone help me!
> I have a Sony Desktop (P4), with XP Home Edition, with SP2 and latest
> updates etc.
> In the past I tried (unsuccessfully) to setup a small Home Network and
> gave up - knowing that I'd done something wrong.
> I recently upgraded my DSL connection, and now own a high wuality
> (2WIRE) Home Portal - to connect to the Internet (3MBPS connection!
> cool). I now want to network to my other computers.
> They can use the HomePortal and connect to the internet at the same
> (cool!) speed.
> I did the following:
> I opened up My Network Places and selected "set up a home or small
> office network"
> It seemed to work... letting me create e new profile - I called it
> rm-home-network
> I restarted and then went to the same My Network Connections.
> I then selected view workgroup computers and get the following error:
>
> "rm-home-network is not accessible. You may not have permission to use
> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find out if you have access permissions.
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
>
> I have no other profiles created on my computer...
>
> I feel that previously I have damaged somthing on this desktop:
>
> I had oreviusly tried to create a profile and done something wrong.
>
> I cannot afford to pay huge amounts of money to Microsoft to get a
> ticket... they will not help me for free - and when I try they refer
> me to Sony... who equally will not help me for free.

First, let's address something really important. You posted your cell
phone number and unmunged email address on Usenet. This is a public
newsgroup and it was a very bad idea. Please protect yourself in the
future. Never give out your cell phone number like that - these are
public groups that are read by thousands of people, archived by Google,
and harvested by many spambots.

Second, you didn't break anything so take a deep cleansing breath. Here
are some links to help you set up your home network. Probably just
re-running the Wizard again (and choosing Internet Gateway) will do the
trick, but you may also need to configure your firewalls properly.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm (Home)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
(Pro)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot_index.htm
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
Hans-Georg Michna
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

Don't give up - you can do this and then you'll be pleased and happy.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers