Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

Blinky the Shark

Mara wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2007 05:45:30 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> http://z.about.com/d/webclipart/1/0/l/X/1/bcomp3.gif

>>I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always
>>has been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
>>course.

> Luxury. <g>
>
> I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth
> machine in my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times
> when I don't feel like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a
> client's hdd to it. I upgraded the hdd although the original 2.1GB
> works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95 to 98, but that's it.

Yikes. Okay, my evolved 1990 system *is* a luxury.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

chuckcar

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!
>
> (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers branded me,
> I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)
>
> ***
> Matrox Mystique PCI (original)

Is that a 3DFX card? I can't recall.

> Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster (original)

Great sound card.
> 15" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100sx monitor (original, image
> quality is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago)

Can't get a better monitor either.

> HP LaserJet 6L printer (original, second cartridge installed
> about a year ago - I don't print much)

Can't get better printers than that - *IF* you have the space.

> I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
> announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
> wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
> ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
> "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's
> OK. Hope you agree.

Yup. Buy quality and *ignore* price, build your own computer and you
don't have problems. I'm sort of leery of LG cdroms, though. Replacement
for Liteon in my books...

I have an old DEC (that's right Digital) slimline 166Mhz pentium with an
ISA Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster, 64 Meg of EDO ram. Still has it's
original 8.4 HD along with a 20 I picked up a while back. Runs 95B as
well along with Slackware - *manually* upgraded piecemeal from 7.0. One
of these days I'll get a 3dFX card for it, for now I have a S3 Trio 3D
clone card but I have another machine that I use for games. Has two ISA
slots and two PCI slots. I *do* have a DVD, CDR/W and plain CD drive for
it that I swap in and out. No hardware except a soundcard has gone bad -
I have my suspicions that was due to bad ram I bought in a hole in the
wall the same day.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

thanatoid

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27,
>> 2007!
>>
>> (As one of my good friends in news.software.readers
>> branded me, I am proud to be a "reverse hardware snob".)
>>
>> ***
>> Matrox Mystique PCI (original)
>>

> Is that a 3DFX card? I can't recall.

Good question. Let's see if the help file says something about
that.
No, it's just "DirectDraw/Direct3D". And the card only has 4 MB
BUT it runs 800x600 beautifully at 85Hz. That's perfect for a
15" AFAIAC. I bought a used but pristine (could not resist) 19"
Dell (Philips M990, VERY good reviews, beautiful image) but it
was just too damn big, and I sold it to a friend.

I had a choice between this card and the Millennium (which was
about $30 more) but I just couldn't see the point. Still, Matrox
has to be one of the best graphics card makers out there. Their
frame rate in the latest cards may not match the usual NVidia
etc, but the image quality is #1. But I'm not a gamer. And I
just use the on-board Intel graphics chip in my other computer
and it's fine.

>> Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster (original)
>>

> Great sound card.

>> 15" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100sx monitor (original,
>> image quality is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago)

> Can't get a better monitor either.

I *HATE* LCD monitors. Did you see the widescreen Trinitron that
came out about 5 or 7 years ago and was like 3 grand? WOW. I
didn't even know about it until about 5 months ago when it
turned up in a thread, when I said there WERE no widescreen
CRT's... You can pick them up used for about $350-500 but there
aren't many around.

>> HP LaserJet 6L printer (original, second cartridge
>> installed about a year ago - I don't print much)
>>

> Can't get better printers than that - *IF* you have the
> space.

You must be thinking of the earlier ones - this one has the
weird looking design with vertical paper input. Small footprint.
Fits on a bookshelf. Very happy with it. Wish I could say the
same for the ^#!*#$!&#% Windows printing system.

>> I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned
>> this announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday
>> that I wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind
>> about an hour ago. Also, I was in a different time zone,
>> and did not take "delivery" of the system until the 28th
>> or 29th, so I think it's OK. Hope you agree.

> Yup. Buy quality and *ignore* price, build your own
> computer and you don't have problems. I'm sort of leery of
> LG cdroms, though. Replacement for Liteon in my books...

I have two LG CD-RW's, the 8080B on this machine, it's about 5-6
yrs old, and the 8526B on the 2GHz machine, about 2 years old.
They both work beautifully. I HAVE read reviews, and quite a few
said the LG was the best one - let alone for the price... the
Liteons are exactly the same price, but I have a feeling that
the Korean stuff will be (already is, really) taking the place
of what the Japanese used to be 25 years ago... Now only the
absolute top of the line and REALLY expensive Japanese stuff is
made in Japan... Everything else... you guessed it. And the HP
and TDK and Sony and such burners all seem to have weird
idiosyncrasies (including ridiculous prices).

> I have an old DEC (that's right Digital) slimline 166Mhz
> pentium

COOL!

> with an ISA Creative AWE64 Sound Blaster, 64 Meg of
> EDO ram. Still has it's original 8.4 HD along with a 20 I
> picked up a while back. Runs 95B as well along with
> Slackware - *manually* upgraded piecemeal from 7.0. One of
> these days I'll get a 3dFX card for it, for now I have a S3
> Trio 3D clone card but I have another machine that I use
> for games. Has two ISA slots and two PCI slots. I *do* have
> a DVD, CDR/W and plain CD drive for it that I swap in and
> out. No hardware except a soundcard has gone bad - I have
> my suspicions that was due to bad ram I bought in a hole in
> the wall the same day.

I've been lucky with RAM. You never know what the hell you're
getting (unless you buy the really expensive brand-name stuff)
but I have never had a chip go bad.

Regards
t.

"newer is not always better"

Mews Grewps

Leythos wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> I bought this this desktop on which I'm writing, which is and always has
>>> been my primary system, in the spring of 1990. It has evolved, of
>>> course.

>> Luxury. <g>
>>
>> I've got an AST Advantage Adventure 6060p, made in 1995, as my fifth machine in
>> my office. 60mhz Pentium. Runs fine, and is handy at times when I don't feel
>> like lugging my old 500mhz upstairs and adding a client's hdd to it. I upgraded
>> the hdd although the original 2.1GB works, and upgraded the OS from Windows 95
>> to 98, but that's it.

> Commodore PET 2001, 4K RAM, Tape drive, bought in 1977 (if I remember
> correctly) and still works.

Oh my, that reminded my of my Sinclair 1000, which I then moved up to a
Vic 20 with a tape drive and then a walloping Commodore 64

Then my dad bought the first "portable" PC, the Osborne 1

Good times...

Cnut

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> [...]
> Micrografx Picture Publisher 7
> ACDSee 2.22
> STP mp3 player
>
> Acronis TrueImage Deluxe
> TaskInfo2000 2.2
> WinRAR 3.11
> CDRWin 4
>
> ***
>
> Boot time from BIOS password entry to full Windows load: 45
> seconds
> Overall speed - IMO, fast as heck
> Crashes or hangs - only when I do something really stupid or hit
> too many wrong keys at the same time.
>
> ***
>
> What it CAN do:
> Everything I need it to except music and video editing (see
> below). (It actually CAN convert - not edit - music or video,
> but it takes hours and hours, which is why I got the other
> machine.)
>
> What it can NOT do:
> Play games less than 10 years old (but I am not a gamer),
> watch/edit/convert video or music (but I have a 2GHz machine for
> that). (It CAN however *record* flv video - and any audio,
> obviously - as well as allow me to talk online and listen to
> internet radio - although the last time I bothered with either
> of those was about 8 years ago.)
>
> Many "new" programs or later versions of old ones don't run on
> 95B. I find the older versions smaller, stabler, and faster,
> IOW, much better. AFAIAC, there hasn't been anything new worth
> using written for years. (Not counting certain new developments
> like mp3 and other audio and video compression methods, DVD-
> RW's, or Skype - which won't run on 95, but I have no one to
> talk to anyway.)
>
> ***
>
> Advantages:
>
> I don't have to worry about patches, updates, crashes, latest
> drivers, etc. I know the machine pretty well and don't worry
> about anything going wrong (it hasn't for a very long time). I
> get everything done faster than I would on an XP let alone Vista
> machine (except as mentioned, audio and video which are handled
> on the 2GHz machine). I get to spend money on other things.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> Ridicule by people who enjoy spending several hours a week
> patching, updating, or reinstalling their OS's; "learning" to
> use useless new features; putting the computer in the living
> room as the second Idiot Box; and throwing their money away on
> bloated "new" versions of software for the most part originally
> conceived by someone else in the late 80's and early 90's. I
> also can't DL DVD's or use torrents, but since I prefer reading
> and music to movies and TV, I don't care.
>
> P.S.
> I realize it's almost the 28th, but while I've planned this
> announcement for about 6 months, I decided yesterday that I
> wasn't going to bother and then changed my mind about an hour
> ago. Also, I was in a different time zone, and did not take
> "delivery" of the system until the 28th or 29th, so I think it's

I still have a 1994 pentium 75, win95, 32 MB ram, 1.6 GB hd in my hobby
room, running the Opera browser to get online radio stations.
It's main purpose is listening to the radio and playing MP3 files. Still a
very fast computer!

The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy'

thanatoid wrote:
> thanatoid's computer is 10 years old today, Sept. 27, 2007!

I'm sorry!

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the
creativity and innovation that is a hallmark of this country. Consumer
rights in the digital age are not frivolous."
- Maura Corbett

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del

Most of you folks are really some old bastards, aren't you. Commodore,
damn, didn't they have those on the Enterprise or something. LOL.

Here is my first computer, thankfully, not my last. This one lasted
me a couple of years just fine. As others have said about their old
systems, it still works great and is remarkably fast.

The funny thing about it, to me anyway, is that quite a few of my
friends just seemed to have their minds blown when I told them it had
a computer with a 133MHz processor and a 1.3GB hard drive.

A few of them even told me that I would never, never, fill up a 1.3GB
hard drive, it would probably be enough space to last a lifetime and I
thought so too. How times have changed.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ckardBell2.jpg