Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem acquiring Network Address after disabling

Problem acquiring Network Address after disabling

Lynn W

After installing SP2 whenever I disconnected my wireless card and then
plugged it back in again it couldn't acquire a network address unless I
restarted computer with the card connected in slot. I rang Belkin and
they advised that I uninstalled the wireless card and then re-installed
it as very often installing SP2 it corrupts the drivers of the Network
Card.
I have done this and the problem still persists plus now it says
Wireless Network Connection 2. Don't understand where the '2' has come
from being as I thought I had uninstalled the other one. I removed it
through Add/Remove Programme facility. I am using a Belkin F5D7010
Version 3000uk. Windows XP HE SP2 on Toshiba laptop.
Can anyone give me any advice on this please. Did I not do the uninstall
correctly? Anyone know why I have the problem after disconnecting card.
Belkin also advised me to use their software rather than letting Windows
configure my Wireless Network. Would I have been better letting Windows
do it? Normally I would usually prefer to use the manufacturers
software
but perhaps this isn't the case after SP2!
Should I just do a System Restore.
Thanks for any help.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Lynn W

I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I went
back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I clicked on
it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I have No
Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my router/card
only talk to each other.
Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already set
it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
:
:
: --
: Lynn
: Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
:
:

Malke

Lynn W wrote:

> I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
> re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
> Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I
> went back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I
> clicked on
> it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I have
> No Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my
> router/card only talk to each other.
> Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already
> set
> it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.

Frankly, the smarter thing to do would be to enable encryption. Wireless
connections are "in the air" and so it may not be only *your* router
that is talking to *your* wireless network adapter; neighbors and
not-so-nice people have access to your network and your bandwidth as it
now stands. It is like leaving your house unlocked and the door wide
open.

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Lynn W

I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only talk
to my wireless card, nobody else's.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Lynn W wrote:
:
: > I have just found something out, after I disconnect the card then
: > re-connect it when looking at the utility it is coming back on with
: > Encryption enabled. I have it set up to use No Encryption. Once I
: > went back into Configure the No Encryption was highlighted but I
: > clicked on
: > it again and then clicked apply and it immediately connected. I
have
: > No Encryption set up because my son has set this up so that my
: > router/card only talk to each other.
: > Is there a way to stop it putting Encryption on when I have already
: > set
: > it to none. It doesn't put encryption on from a reboot.
: >
: Frankly, the smarter thing to do would be to enable encryption.
Wireless
: connections are "in the air" and so it may not be only *your* router
: that is talking to *your* wireless network adapter; neighbors and
: not-so-nice people have access to your network and your bandwidth as
it
: now stands. It is like leaving your house unlocked and the door wide
: open.
:
: Wireless - Basic Configuration -
: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
: Wireless - Basic Security -
: MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
:
: Malke
: --

Lynn W wrote:

> I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only
> talk to my wireless card, nobody else's.

You understand incorrectly. Your son may have done MAC address
filtering, but this will not keep intruders out.

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Malke
--

: Lynn W wrote:
:
: > I don't think that is right, as I understand it my Router will only
: > talk to my wireless card, nobody else's.
: >
: You understand incorrectly. Your son may have done MAC address
: filtering, but this will not keep intruders out.
:
: The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
:
: Malke
: --
: Elephant Boy Computers
: www.elephantboycomputers.com
: "Don't Panic!"
: MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well I thought that surely my firewall keeps them off my PC and the MAC
address filtering stops any attempted outbound connections through my
router.