Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Forcing download of file from source website

Forcing download of file from source website

DavidM

I regularly have to update files (Word and Excel docs mostly)
on my college website. If I update a file by uploading a
newer version (but with the same filename), quite often when
I then open the file from a link on the web site I see the old
version, even though the file date.time on the college server has
been updated.

I assume that what I'm actually seeing is a cached
copy of the old file, either on my PC or some proxy server
(if that's the right term) sitting between my PC and the
real host.

Is there way of forcing FF (using 2.0.0.7) to get the file
from real host?

Thanks, David.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

DavidM wrote:
> I regularly have to update files (Word and Excel docs mostly)
> on my college website. If I update a file by uploading a
> newer version (but with the same filename), quite often when
> I then open the file from a link on the web site I see the old
> version, even though the file date.time on the college server has
> been updated.
>
> I assume that what I'm actually seeing is a cached
> copy of the old file, either on my PC or some proxy server
> (if that's the right term) sitting between my PC and the
> real host.
>
> Is there way of forcing FF (using 2.0.0.7) to get the file
> from real host?
>
> Thanks, David.

in the address bar, type in about:config and look for this
entry:

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

once found, double click on it and change the number to one
of these:

0 -- once per session
1 -- everytime I view the page
2 -- never
3 -- when the page is out of date

These settings compares the page in the cache to the page on
the network.

if that doesn't work, then hit the reload button, or hold
down the shift key while hitting the reload button, or hit
F5. These methods should force a reload of the pages.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm