Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hibernate / shutdown both fail to turn PC off

Hibernate / shutdown both fail to turn PC off

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

Hbernate / shutdown both appear to shut all devices down but the PC remains
running.
This has worked before but doesn't anymore and I've been unable to identify
exactly what changed to cause the error.

The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
works as it should.

How do I go about resolving this problem?

John Barnes

It might help someone if you said what system is giving you problems. You
identified the one that works.

"Mick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hbernate / shutdown both appear to shut all devices down but the PC
> remains
> running.
> This has worked before but doesn't anymore and I've been unable to
> identify
> exactly what changed to cause the error.
>
> The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
> works as it should.
>
> How do I go about resolving this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Mick:
In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
state?
2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
which aren't?
Carlos

"Carlos" wrote:

> Mick:
> In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
> 1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
> state?
> 2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
> which aren't?
> Carlos
>
> "Mick" wrote:
>
> > Hbernate / shutdown both appear to shut all devices down but the PC remains
> > running.
> > This has worked before but doesn't anymore and I've been unable to identify
> > exactly what changed to cause the error.
> >
> > The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
> > works as it should.
> >
> > How do I go about resolving this problem?

sorry John If I wasn't clear.. ... it's the 64 bit Vista Ultimate version
that doesn't work.

Carlos At shut down, all the usb devices power down, disks monitors etc but
the fans stay running.. and the PC is still using some 200W of power. (quad
processor)

When going to hibernation I get a critical event 41 Kernel-Power entry.
The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if
the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep
transition.

I tried disconneting all USB devices (those that I can) and it still fails.

It's been to long for a system restore.. I don't use hibernate that much..

I was wondering if there was someway of rebuilding the APCI interface?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Mick:
Twice in my life I was left with rotating fans after going to sleep.
1.- One was a BIOS setting related to power. I had to select S3 or S3+POS in
order to enable a deep sleep state.
2.- The other time was with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I had to disable
(uncheck) their ability to wake up the PC. Go to Device Manager, click on
both devices, choose Properties, Power Management and uncheck that setting.
Hope that helps.
Carlos

"Mick" wrote:

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Mick:
> > In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
> > 1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
> > state?
> > 2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
> > which aren't?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Mick" wrote:
> >
> > > Hbernate / shutdown both appear to shut all devices down but the PC remains
> > > running.
> > > This has worked before but doesn't anymore and I've been unable to identify
> > > exactly what changed to cause the error.
> > >
> > > The PC is a dual boot and on the Vista 32 bit system hibernate / shutdown
> > > works as it should.
> > >
> > > How do I go about resolving this problem?

> sorry John If I wasn't clear.. ... it's the 64 bit Vista Ultimate version
> that doesn't work.
>
> Carlos At shut down, all the usb devices power down, disks monitors etc but
> the fans stay running.. and the PC is still using some 200W of power. (quad
> processor)
>
> When going to hibernation I get a critical event 41 Kernel-Power entry.
> The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if
> the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep
> transition.
>
> I tried disconneting all USB devices (those that I can) and it still fails.
>
> It's been to long for a system restore.. I don't use hibernate that much..
>
> I was wondering if there was someway of rebuilding the APCI interface?

=?Utf-8?B?YmFrZXIxNzE=?=

"Carlos" wrote:

> Mick:
> Twice in my life I was left with rotating fans after going to sleep.
> 1.- One was a BIOS setting related to power. I had to select S3 or S3+POS in
> order to enable a deep sleep state.
> 2.- The other time was with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I had to disable
> (uncheck) their ability to wake up the PC. Go to Device Manager, click on
> both devices, choose Properties, Power Management and uncheck that setting.
> Hope that helps.
> Carlos

Thanks Carlos... I did as you suggested and it's still failing to switch off
completly.

It's got to be a software problem.
Maybe SP1 will fix it when it's released.

> "Mick" wrote:
>

> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> > > Mick:
> > > In addition to John's question about which is your problematic OS...
> > > 1.- Was it long ago that it worked Ok? Can you make a system restore to that
> > > state?
> > > 2.- What is exactly "the PC remains running"? What devices are shut off and
> > > which aren't?
> > > Carlos

> > sorry John If I wasn't clear.. ... it's the 64 bit Vista Ultimate version
> > that doesn't work.
> >
> > Carlos At shut down, all the usb devices power down, disks monitors etc but
> > the fans stay running.. and the PC is still using some 200W of power. (quad
> > processor)
> >
> > When going to hibernation I get a critical event 41 Kernel-Power entry.
> > The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if
> > the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep
> > transition.
> >
> > I tried disconneting all USB devices (those that I can) and it still fails.
> >
> > It's been to long for a system restore.. I don't use hibernate that much..
> >
> > I was wondering if there was someway of rebuilding the APCI interface?

=?Utf-8?B?YmFrZXIxNzE=?=

I de-installed KB940105 which resolved my problem.

"baker171" wrote:

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Mick:
> > Twice in my life I was left with rotating fans after going to sleep.
> > 1.- One was a BIOS setting related to power. I had to select S3 or S3+POS in
> > order to enable a deep sleep state.
> > 2.- The other time was with my wireless keyboard and mouse. I had to disable
> > (uncheck) their ability to wake up the PC. Go to Device Manager, click on
> > both devices, choose Properties, Power Management and uncheck that setting.
> > Hope that helps.
> > Carlos
> >

> Thanks Carlos... I did as you suggested and it's still failing to switch off
> completly.
>
> It's got to be a software problem.
> Maybe SP1 will fix it when it's released.

> > > sorry John If I wasn't clear.. ... it's the 64 bit Vista Ultimate version
> > > that doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Carlos At shut down, all the usb devices power down, disks monitors etc but
> > > the fans stay running.. and the PC is still using some 200W of power. (quad
> > > processor)
> > >
> > > When going to hibernation I get a critical event 41 Kernel-Power entry.
> > > The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if
> > > the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep
> > > transition.
> > >
> > > I tried disconneting all USB devices (those that I can) and it still fails.
> > >
> > > It's been to long for a system restore.. I don't use hibernate that much..
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there was someway of rebuilding the APCI interface?

John Barnes

Thanks for reporting back.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...