Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Rent A Cert, a good or bad idea for Cisco partners and cert holders?

Rent A Cert, a good or bad idea for Cisco partners and cert holders?

www.BradReese.Com

Rent A Cert, a good or bad idea for Cisco partners and cert holders?

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19970

Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco
CISCO SUBNET: THE INDEPENDENT VOICE OF CISCO CUSTOMERS
http://www.ciscosubnet.com

fugettaboutit

Good point on the erosion of the value of Cisco certs. One would assume
that if this was a great idea with minimal risk, VARs would have been
doing it already. It would seem that there's too much risk for cert
value erosion and abuse by shady companies.

www.BradReese.Com wrote:
> Rent A Cert, a good or bad idea for Cisco partners and cert holders?
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19970
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Reese on Cisco
> CISCO SUBNET: THE INDEPENDENT VOICE OF CISCO CUSTOMERS
> http://www.ciscosubnet.com

www.BradReese.Com

You make an excellent point.

Rent A Cert states:

"We, of course, will not divulge our client list to either company."

http://www.rentacert.com/faq.aspx#c2

Unless of course you get into a payment dispute with Rent A Cert!

Talk about holding a knife to the throats of its customers.

Pay us what we think you owe us or we will report you to Cisco and
Microsoft.

------------------------------------

More blogs about the Rent A Cert website:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20012

as well as

http://cciepursuit.wordpress.com/200...tion-for-cash/

Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco
CISCO SUBNET: THE INDEPENDENT VOICE OF CISCO CUSTOMERS
http://www.ciscosubnet.com

info@rentacert.com

Hi Everyone,

Rent A Cert here. We appreciate that everyone here has taken the time
to look into our comapny. If we can answer any questions, let us know
and we shall reply.

A few things I'd like to add. First, we're IT people, and we're here
to add value to the certification rather than take from it. In
today's market, I've found from personal experience that
certifications generally just act as a means of getting in the door to
an interview. Unless you're working for some specific IT consulting
companies (and a vast majority of IT staff isn't -- most of us work
directly for an IT department in a non-IT company), your company isn't
going to get any benefit to your certifications. Therefore, by
allowing your certification to be rented out, we hope certified
individuals will get the current value (a nod into job interviews) and
the additional value (direct compensation for specific
certifications).

Second, our site states that we will not disclose our clients to
Microsoft or Cisco. I'd like to clarify that under any circumstances
that we can control (with the foreseeable exceptions of court order or
Cisco hacking our PIX firewall using a secret backdoor that only they
know about ), this is without exception. Using name disclosure as a
way to force your hand would be wrong, hurt our credibility, and is
plainly something we will not do.

Thanks,

~ Rent A Cert Support ~
E-mail: info at rentacert.com