Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Duplicator: Which Is Most Reliable?

DVD Duplicator: Which Is Most Reliable?

ricrat

I'm leaning towards the Sony that SuperMediaStore makes: price,
controller and
value. Can you dispute this?
The one I want is 1-1. I read about 10 ads and the one I choose still
comes up the winner.
Thanks for any help.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm leaning towards the Sony that SuperMediaStore makes: price,
>controller and
>value. Can you dispute this?
>The one I want is 1-1. I read about 10 ads and the one I choose still
>comes up the winner.
>Thanks for any help.

Understanding that a standalone duplicator is an assembled product
of unrelated components from different manufacturers, it really boils
down to what the components are and which assembled duplicator comprises
the best selection.

The duplicator controllers (Acard, Apollo, Athena, etc) are pretty much
equally able to duplicate discs, but differ in their support for USB
add-on daughter boards (for using the duplicator as an external DVDR
drive), support for (and mode of partitioning of) an internal hard drive
for storing disc images, and number of target drives supported. As long as
your present and future needs are met by whichever controller is included
in the duplcator, you should be set.

The other variables are the source and target DVD drives. You want good
high speed drives that will stand up to heavy use. Also, many DVD readers
need hacked firmware in order to read all discs at their highest rated
speed, so you must check that the vendor has provided a reader that will
perform as fast as the burner needs data to be supplied.

For my preference, I go with Plextor, Pioneer, or NEC drives in
approximately that order of preference.

ricrat

On Sep 27, 6:43 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
> ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I'm leaning towards the Sony that SuperMediaStore makes: price,
> >controller and
> >value. Can you dispute this?
> >The one I want is 1-1. I read about 10 ads and the one I choose still
> >comes up the winner.
> >Thanks for any help.

> Understanding that a standalone duplicator is an assembled product
> of unrelated components from different manufacturers, it really boils
> down to what the components are and which assembled duplicator comprises
> the best selection.
>
> The duplicator controllers (Acard, Apollo, Athena, etc) are pretty much
> equally able to duplicate discs, but differ in their support for USB
> add-on daughter boards (for using the duplicator as an external DVDR
> drive), support for (and mode of partitioning of) an internal hard drive
> for storing disc images, and number of target drives supported. As long as
> your present and future needs are met by whichever controller is included
> in the duplcator, you should be set.
>
> The other variables are the source and target DVD drives. You want good
> high speed drives that will stand up to heavy use. Also, many DVD readers
> need hacked firmware in order to read all discs at their highest rated
> speed, so you must check that the vendor has provided a reader that will
> perform as fast as the burner needs data to be supplied.
>
> For my preference, I go with Plextor, Pioneer, or NEC drives in
> approximately that order of preference.

Hi:
Thanks for your input. I trust SuperMediaStore to be very honest
and reliable.
Currently, I'm using a Pioneer 111 in my PC and I read that its re-
placement (112) has had problems and that's why I selected the
Sony unless you've had experience with the 112.
Can you suggest a merchant to purchase a 1-1 duplicator from?
I've checked out at least 10 and most don't have more the 16mb
of memory. I feel this is an important component--don't you?
I just purchased some TYs which I find to be the most reliable.
Thanks again.
Richard

ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi:
>Thanks for your input. I trust SuperMediaStore to be very honest
>and reliable.
>Currently, I'm using a Pioneer 111 in my PC and I read that its re-
>placement (112) has had problems and that's why I selected the
>Sony unless you've had experience with the 112.
>Can you suggest a merchant to purchase a 1-1 duplicator from?
>I've checked out at least 10 and most don't have more the 16mb
>of memory. I feel this is an important component--don't you?
>I just purchased some TYs which I find to be the most reliable.
>Thanks again.
>Richard

I have used SuperMediaStore too and have no problems with them. I am
currently using an Acard-based 1:1 duplicator which uses the Pioneer 112
as the target and it has performed well for a few months so far.
The reader seems to be a generic drive (actually I think it is LG) but it
has no trouble with 16X reads and has handled all media I've tried so far
(I have not tried, and do not intend to use DL).

ricrat

On Sep 28, 7:02 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
> ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >Thanks for your input. I trust SuperMediaStore to be very honest
> >and reliable.
> >Currently, I'm using a Pioneer 111 in my PC and I read that its re-
> >placement (112) has had problems and that's why I selected the
> >Sony unless you've had experience with the 112.
> >Can you suggest a merchant to purchase a 1-1 duplicator from?
> >I've checked out at least 10 and most don't have more the 16mb
> >of memory. I feel this is an important component--don't you?
> >I just purchased some TYs which I find to be the most reliable.
> >Thanks again.
> >Richard

> I have used SuperMediaStore too and have no problems with them. I am
> currently using an Acard-based 1:1 duplicator which uses the Pioneer 112
> as the target and it has performed well for a few months so far.
> The reader seems to be a generic drive (actually I think it is LG) but it
> has no trouble with 16X reads and has handled all media I've tried so far
> (I have not tried, and do not intend to use DL).

Hi Mike:
Is the unit you have their "standard" or do I have to request that
controller card? How heavy is your useage? How discs do you
burn a day? (I just wondering about the wear-and-tear and how it'll
hold up).
Your answers are a great help for me to decide.

ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Mike:
>Is the unit you have their "standard" or do I have to request that
>controller card? How heavy is your useage? How discs do you
>burn a day? (I just wondering about the wear-and-tear and how it'll
>hold up).
>Your answers are a great help for me to decide.
>Richard

Just to be clear, I have bought from SuperMediaStore but the duplicator
I'm using (which uses the Pioneer 112D as target) is not from them (I
bought it from an eBay seller, whose name I don't have handy here). Mine
uses an Acard 1:1 controller.

From the photos at the SuperMediaStore web site, it looks like they use
the Apollo controller for some towers and Acard for others. Probably
depends on number of targets, presence/absence of hard drive, and rated
speed. For 1:1 I don't think there are major performance or features
differences between them.

My useage is very light, so my experience with the 112D will not help you
in deciding whether the Pioneer can stand the wear and tear.

ricrat

On Sep 29, 10:27 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
> ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Mike:
> >Is the unit you have their "standard" or do I have to request that
> >controller card? How heavy is your useage? How discs do you
> >burn a day? (I just wondering about the wear-and-tear and how it'll
> >hold up).
> >Your answers are a great help for me to decide.
> >Richard

> Just to be clear, I have bought from SuperMediaStore but the duplicator
> I'm using (which uses the Pioneer 112D as target) is not from them (I
> bought it from an eBay seller, whose name I don't have handy here). Mine
> uses an Acard 1:1 controller.
>
> From the photos at the SuperMediaStore web site, it looks like they use
> the Apollo controller for some towers and Acard for others. Probably
> depends on number of targets, presence/absence of hard drive, and rated
> speed. For 1:1 I don't think there are major performance or features
> differences between them.
>
> My useage is very light, so my experience with the 112D will not help you
> in deciding whether the Pioneer can stand the wear and tear.

Hi:
I'm thinking of daily useage are about 25 (is that concidered "heavy
useage"?). More than likely a lot less.
I'm going to give them a call and see how I can get the best 1:1
they offer. I don't think Plextor is worth the extra expense.
I'll let you know what I decide.
Thanks for response.

ricrat

On Sep 30, 5:30 am, ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 10:27 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>

> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> > ricrat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >Hi Mike:
> > >Is the unit you have their "standard" or do I have to request that
> > >controller card? How heavy is your useage? How discs do you
> > >burn a day? (I just wondering about the wear-and-tear and how it'll
> > >hold up).
> > >Your answers are a great help for me to decide.
> > >Richard

> > Just to be clear, I have bought from SuperMediaStore but the duplicator
> > I'm using (which uses the Pioneer 112D as target) is not from them (I
> > bought it from an eBay seller, whose name I don't have handy here). Mine
> > uses an Acard 1:1 controller.

> > From the photos at the SuperMediaStore web site, it looks like they use
> > the Apollo controller for some towers and Acard for others. Probably
> > depends on number of targets, presence/absence of hard drive, and rated
> > speed. For 1:1 I don't think there are major performance or features
> > differences between them.

> > My useage is very light, so my experience with the 112D will not help you
> > in deciding whether the Pioneer can stand the wear and tear.

> Hi:
> I'm thinking of daily useage are about 25 (is that concidered "heavy
> useage"?). More than likely a lot less.
> I'm going to give them a call and see how I can get the best 1:1
> they offer. I don't think Plextor is worth the extra expense.
> I'll let you know what I decide.
> Thanks for response.- Hide quoted text -

One other very important factor I forgot to mentioned is what is the
lifespan of these burners? It seems to be about 1000 burns is the
best they can do? What has been your experience?
I just want to know if they're worth getting.