Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Digital Delta-Sigma DAC

Digital Delta-Sigma DAC

Davy

Hi all,

I want to design a digital delta-sigma DAC. It includes a pulse density
modulated module and RC low-pass filter.

The pulse density modulated module is a Delta-Sigma type (one adder and
one substractor). But why use Delta-Sigma type (i.e. how to understand
it)? Is there any good tutorial on digital Delta-Sigma?

Best regards,
Davy

Randy Yates

"Davy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to design a digital delta-sigma DAC. It includes a pulse density
> modulated module and RC low-pass filter.
>
> The pulse density modulated module is a Delta-Sigma type (one adder and
> one substractor). But why use Delta-Sigma type (i.e. how to understand
> it)? Is there any good tutorial on digital Delta-Sigma?

Wikopedia has some good information. At least yesterday it did.
--
% Randy Yates % "How's life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % ... What is it worth?"

Jim Thomas

Randy Yates wrote:
> "Davy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I want to design a digital delta-sigma DAC. It includes a pulse density
>>modulated module and RC low-pass filter.
>>
>>The pulse density modulated module is a Delta-Sigma type (one adder and
>>one substractor). But why use Delta-Sigma type (i.e. how to understand
>>it)? Is there any good tutorial on digital Delta-Sigma?

> Wikopedia has some good information. At least yesterday it did.

Hi Randy,

You mean "Wikipedia" - replace the 'o' with an 'i'.
http://wikipedia.org

--
Jim Thomas Principal Applications Engineer Bittware, Inc
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) http://www.bittware.com (603) 226-0404 x536

Randy Yates

Ayup. Of that's the way you spell ot.

--RY

In sci.electronics.basics Davy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Hi all,

: I want to design a digital delta-sigma DAC. It includes a pulse density
: modulated module and RC low-pass filter.

: The pulse density modulated module is a Delta-Sigma type (one adder and
: one substractor). But why use Delta-Sigma type (i.e. how to understand
: it)? Is there any good tutorial on digital Delta-Sigma?

: Best regards,
: Davy

Read, read, read!

In any A/D or D/A circuit there is a quantizer -- the part of the
circuit that actually does the conversion from analog to digital. The
error in quantization shows up as noise in the resulting signal. The
total power of this quantization noise only depends upon the number of
levels in the quantizer, for any type of data converter (This is often
stated as the distance between levels, which means pretty much the same
thing.)

In a nutshell, while most types of data converters result in
quantization noise with a white spectrum (i.e. spread evenly throughout
the signal band,) Delta-Sigma converters "shape" the noise, to move it out
of the band of interest. This is often combined with oversampling which
has at least two advantages -- to spread the quantization noise out over a
larger band (even without noise shaping,) and to be able to move the
quantization noise far away from the band of interest, such that it can be
subsequently filtered out relatively easily.

Delta-Sigma modulation allowed for parctical A/D and D/A
converters to be built that use as few as 2 levels (i.e. "1-bit
converters") and have acceptable performance for data conversion of
relatively low-bandwidth signals like audio (or slower) signals. The
reason why Delta-Sigma converters are usually used for low-bandwidth
signals is because the oversampling ratio must be relatively high
(around 100X) for good performance, which dictates how fast the system
clock needs to run.

Joe

Thomas Thorsen

"Davy" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I want to design a digital delta-sigma DAC. It includes a pulse density
> modulated module and RC low-pass filter.
>
> The pulse density modulated module is a Delta-Sigma type (one adder and
> one substractor). But why use Delta-Sigma type (i.e. how to understand
> it)? Is there any good tutorial on digital Delta-Sigma?

I would recommend books from the authors Richard Schreier, Gabor C. Temes,
Steven R. Norsworthy and James C. Candy. Specifically the following books
cover almost all subjects from end to other:

R. Schreier, G. Temes, "Understanding Delta-Sigma Data Converters", 2004
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...515440-5710236
Very good introduction to the principles, with many examples. A more
hands-on approach than many other books on the subject.

R. Schreier, G. Temes, S. Norsworthy "Delta Sigma Data Converters: Theory,
Design and Simulation", 1996
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...515440-5710236
Very detailed and in-depth coverage with good theoretical background on most
subjects.

James C. Candy, Gabor C. Temes, "Oversampling Delta-Sigma Data Converters:
Theory, Design and Simulation", 1991
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...515440-5710236
A collection of important scientific papers that covers the full (almost)
history of the development of this particular field of science. Very good
supplement for the two other books.

I have read several other books on the subject, but none of them have the
accuracy of these books. I would recommend not reading them cronologically,
but start with the newest one, and then progress to the older books if you
have a need for more background info or explanation of the theories.

-Thomas

Davy

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

I just want to learn the simplest one-bit Sigma Delta DAC.

And I found a link interesting:
http://www.embedded.com/shared/print...cleID=22101730

I have one more question:
If I want the one-bit Sigma Delta DAC have better performance, shall I
accelerate the integrator (move the frequency Fs to higher frequency)?

Best regards,
Davy

kedarpapte@gmail.com

Hi,

If you want to understand more about internals of ADC/DAC with
differentiation of various methods
I will refer one book

It titles something like Designing Methods of ADC/DAC from an author
named Joshpher...

I am very sorry that I am not able to give correct name of both book
and author but what ever I knew I have told I had referred this book
some time back.

But for delta sigma type of conversion you have to limit the data width
also as you increase the data width for more resolution the noise will
cause problems.

Thanks,
Regards,
Kedar

In sci.electronics.basics Davy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Hi,

: Thank you for your help!

: I just want to learn the simplest one-bit Sigma Delta DAC.

: And I found a link interesting:
: http://www.embedded.com/shared/print...cleID=22101730

: I have one more question:
: If I want the one-bit Sigma Delta DAC have better performance, shall I
: accelerate the integrator (move the frequency Fs to higher frequency)?

: Best regards,
: Davy

Yes, that is one way to achieve slightly higher performance.

Joe

Randy Yates

"Davy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> I just want to learn the simplest one-bit Sigma Delta DAC.
>
> And I found a link interesting:
> http://www.embedded.com/shared/print...cleID=22101730
>
> I have one more question:
> If I want the one-bit Sigma Delta DAC have better performance, shall I
> accelerate the integrator (move the frequency Fs to higher frequency)?

You can read the presentation I made at the comp.dsp conference on
delta sigma conversion here:

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/presentation.pdf

See especially Figure 9 on page 18, which shows how SNR is related to
modulator order and oversampling ratio.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side