Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless "N"?

Wireless "N"?

Pegleg

Is it worth going to the "N" protocol? Realize that I would have to
get a "N" adaptor for my laptop.

Is the range and speed that much better? Any negative effects with
other equipment running "B" or "G"?

TIA

Barb Bowman

no one is making any real guarantees that the Draft N hardware
available today will be able to be updated to run the final approved
standard. B will slow down even a G network because G/N must stop
and wait for B traffic. So if you have no B, it is best to run in
G/N or G mode only, if available on your router.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Pegleg

Thanks for your post...

I understand the "no guarantees" part...what I want to know is:

If I install a "N" router and use a "N" adaptor in my laptop will it be
faster and have better range.? Why would I run in "G" mode if I have a
"N" router and "N" adaptor card?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:18:28 -0400, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>no one is making any real guarantees that the Draft N hardware
>available today will be able to be updated to run the final approved
>standard. B will slow down even a G network because G/N must stop
>and wait for B traffic. So if you have no B, it is best to run in
>G/N or G mode only, if available on your router.
>
>On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:59:18 -0700, Pegleg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Is it worth going to the "N" protocol? Realize that I would have to
>>get a "N" adaptor for my laptop.
>>
>>Is the range and speed that much better? Any negative effects with
>>other equipment running "B" or "G"?
>>
>>TIA

Barb Bowman

yes, it will have better range (or should). faster to transfer files
to a wired desktop or another N enabled computer, but the speed of
transfers from the Internet also depend on other factors.

G/N only seems to be offered on many of the new draft 2.0 N routers.
If you have a setting on the one you purchase for N only, you can
certainly use it. You asked about negative effects with equipment
running G or B which suggested you might already have a wireless b/g
network with wireless computers/devices.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Hertz_Donut

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> no one is making any real guarantees that the Draft N hardware
> available today will be able to be updated to run the final approved
> standard. B will slow down even a G network because G/N must stop
> and wait for B traffic. So if you have no B, it is best to run in
> G/N or G mode only, if available on your router.

Draft 2.0 has been certified by the WI-Fi Alliance. The IEEE has closed
suggestions on the final ratification of 802.11n. That means that it is
very unlikely that there will be any harware changes between what is on the
shelf today that supports Draft 2.0 and the final ratified 802.11n protocol.
It is a safe bet buying any fof the brands now shipping ver. 2.0 equipment
(Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo). Stay away from anthing Belkin makes. Their
"N1" technology is not chip-level compatible with the certified 802.11n
protocol, and will not be uspgradable to the final version when it is
ratified.

There is significant performance inprovement in both range and throughput
when switching to N over G.
It is well worth the inverstment.

Honu

Barb Bowman

while I agree it is unlikely that there will be hardware changes,
the vendors are still not making guarantees of compatibility. as
long as the end user understands that (which could mean that the
vendor won't make upgrades available because they are concentrating
on new hardware releases)..