Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Accented characters

Accented characters

gsauns

I have an ASP.NET app in which I import from a comma-delimited text
file, put all that data in a GridView, and then insert the records
into multiple related tables in my SQL Server database.

I got one text file which contains accented characters. When I bring
them into the GridView, the accented characters show up as boxes, the
universal unrecognized character. And since I am inserting into the DB
by iterating thru the rows of the GridView, those records do not get
inserted correctly.

I tried some UTF-8 tricks I found on the net, but to no avail. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

Samuel R. Neff

How are you reading the csv file? Do you know at which point the
characters are getting mixed up.

If you're using oledb to read the csv file I would suggest this csv
reader instead--it's 100% .NET and may handle extended characters
better.

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/database/CsvReader.asp

HTH,

Sam

We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking .NET
Developers for exciting positions in medical product
development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:21:20 -0700, gsauns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an ASP.NET app in which I import from a comma-delimited text
>file, put all that data in a GridView, and then insert the records
>into multiple related tables in my SQL Server database.
>
>I got one text file which contains accented characters. When I bring
>them into the GridView, the accented characters show up as boxes, the
>universal unrecognized character. And since I am inserting into the DB
>by iterating thru the rows of the GridView, those records do not get
>inserted correctly.
>
>I tried some UTF-8 tricks I found on the net, but to no avail. Can
>anyone point me in the right direction?

Dealing with accented characters Mark Drummond Perl 0 05-31-2006 01:38 PM
Text search with accented characters Mickey Segal Java 3 12-16-2005 03:34 AM
accented characters Davide Benini XML 4 06-01-2005 03:06 PM
Help with windows clipboard and accented characters Stephen Boulet Python 3 07-16-2004 03:45 AM
Problems With Accented Characters Fuzzyman Python 1 02-23-2004 08:45 AM

Advertisments