Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to make this work

How to make this work

=?Utf-8?B?Q3Jpc3RpbmE=?=

Hi all,

I am a total novice at wireless and networking and am wondering if this
should work.

I have a cable modem with the wire feed directly input to a d-link router.

I have a cable from my router to my desktop, ergo the desktop is hard wired.

I have a laptop with an internal 802g that receives a wireless signal from
the router.

Question: Should I be able to network these two computers for file and
printer sharing? Every time I try to set up a network, it doesn't work. I
am sure I am missing something simple, any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Cristina

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Cristina <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a total novice at wireless and networking and am wondering if
> this should work.
>
> I have a cable modem with the wire feed directly input to a d-link
> router.
>
> I have a cable from my router to my desktop, ergo the desktop is hard
> wired.
>
> I have a laptop with an internal 802g that receives a wireless signal
> from the router.
>
> Question: Should I be able to network these two computers for file and
> printer sharing?

Yes, absolutely - wired or wireless, it makes no difference. I'm presuming
your router does DHCP?

> Every time I try to set up a network, it doesn't
> work.

What are you trying? I would make both computers be in the same workgroup -
make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in each computer's TCP/IP settings,
and if you're using a software firewall, enable file/print sharing
exceptions and ICMP (ping).

Ping computer 1 from computer 2....and vice versa.

First by IP address:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Then by name, if the former was successful
ping computername

If these both work, you can share whatever you like on each, and access the
shares from the other computer.

What operating system on each computer? XP? If so, home or pro?

www.practicallynetworked.com and www.wown.com might be helpful. You need to
ensure you can ping first.

>I am sure I am missing something simple, any assistance would
> be greatly appreciated.

I also suggest you set up your wireless to use at least some security so you
don't get unwanted visitors. WPA+PSK is probably the best you can do with a
consumer-grade access point and no fancy server infrastructure....just don't
leave it wide open.

=?Utf-8?B?SmF2aTAwODQ=?=

D-Link offers free 24/hour tech-support, maybe they can walk you through? I
have use them before and the tech guy was very helpful and I could understand
everything he said.