Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows Wireless Client Won't Connect WPA/AES

Windows Wireless Client Won't Connect WPA/AES

Ben

Hi,

I'm having problems setting up my Wireless connection. We have brought a
3com OfficeConnect 108mb Access Point, and I'm trying to setup the security.
I have configured WPA2 & AES with 802.1x Radius & PEAP.

I have an Acer Aspire laptop, with built in Wi-Fi, if I use the Broadcom
Wi-Fi utilty to configure the connection & security, I can connect to the AP
without problem. However if I disable the Wi-Fi utility and use Windows
Network Properties to configure the connection, it won't connect, just pops
up with Wireless Network unavailable. The same happens on a collegues
laptop, and his is a Dell Inspiron using a Dell True Mobile Wi-Fi card.
I've played with the settings, and if I drop the AP security to WPA & TKIP
with 802.1x Radius & PEAP, then the Windows Config tool works, and the
connection to the AP is made. It just seems to be Windows & AES. We're using
WinXP SP2, which should support WPA2/AES
If we were just setting this up on a few laptops it wouldn't be a problem,
however, we will be setting this up and a large number, and I'd like to roll
it out via Group Policy, which uses the Windows Configuration method.

Is this a known problem? If so is there a fix, or patch that will fix it?

Cheers

Ben

Philip Doragh

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eOaj7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems setting up my Wireless connection. We have brought a
> 3com OfficeConnect 108mb Access Point, and I'm trying to setup the
> security. I have configured WPA2 & AES with 802.1x Radius & PEAP.
>
> I have an Acer Aspire laptop, with built in Wi-Fi, if I use the Broadcom
> Wi-Fi utilty to configure the connection & security, I can connect to the
> AP without problem. However if I disable the Wi-Fi utility and use Windows
> Network Properties to configure the connection, it won't connect, just
> pops up with Wireless Network unavailable. The same happens on a collegues
> laptop, and his is a Dell Inspiron using a Dell True Mobile Wi-Fi card.
> I've played with the settings, and if I drop the AP security to WPA & TKIP
> with 802.1x Radius & PEAP, then the Windows Config tool works, and the
> connection to the AP is made. It just seems to be Windows & AES. We're
> using WinXP SP2, which should support WPA2/AES
> If we were just setting this up on a few laptops it wouldn't be a problem,
> however, we will be setting this up and a large number, and I'd like to
> roll it out via Group Policy, which uses the Windows Configuration method.
>
> Is this a known problem? If so is there a fix, or patch that will fix it?

The WZC client is SP2 does NOT support WPA2, it is only a WPA client. You
need to get the KB893357 package which adds WPA2 support to the WZC client.

Here is a link (watch for wrapping...):

Ben

"Philip Doragh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8L4zf.5627$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> The WZC client is SP2 does NOT support WPA2, it is only a WPA client. You
> need to get the KB893357 package which adds WPA2 support to the WZC
> client.
>
> Here is a link (watch for wrapping...):

Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply. I too found this article on MS site, and downloaded
the update, however it didn't seem to fix the problem. I also found
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;826942 which is a
wireless update rollup, but I think this may hav already been applied via
our WSUS server.
I've fallen back to WPA & TKIP, until I can figure out the problem.

Cheers

Ben