Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Pro Network Connections Disappear...and Other Strange Problems

Windows XP Pro Network Connections Disappear...and Other Strange Problems

Buff Steve

Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.

However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.

I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks,
Steve

PeeCee

"Buff Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
> login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
> check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
> taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
> My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
> thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.
>
> However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
> problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.
>
> I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
> are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826
>
> Any suggestions or similar experiences?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve

Check the health of your Hard drive.

Best
Paul.

ded

"Buff Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
> login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
> check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
> taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
> My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
> thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.
>
> However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
> problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.
>
> I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
> are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826
>
> Any suggestions or similar experiences?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

First the obvious questions:
It was a "bit sluggish" so you rebooted, but in what way was it sluggish -
Is there any direct correllation with sluggishness/problem and anything
you may have installed/uninstalled/modified etc?
Were there any error messages during the "sluggishness".
Were you online when "sluggishness" became apparent, do you have
fully updated firewall and anti-virus installed?
Did you try the simple step of trying a restore point via Safe Mode?

Cementhead

By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.

The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.

The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
removed and it fixed nothing.

On Sep 26, 8:48 am, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Buff Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> > Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
> > login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
> > check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
> > taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
> > My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
> > thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.

> > However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
> > problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.

> > I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
> > are running as mentioned herehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

> > Any suggestions or similar experiences?

> > Thanks,
> > Steve

> First the obvious questions:
> It was a "bit sluggish" so you rebooted, but in what way was it sluggish -
> Is there any direct correllation with sluggishness/problem and anything
> you may have installed/uninstalled/modified etc?
> Were there any error messages during the "sluggishness".
> Were you online when "sluggishness" became apparent, do you have
> fully updated firewall and anti-virus installed?
> Did you try the simple step of trying a restore point via Safe Mode?

ded

"Cementhead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
> thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.
>
> The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
> firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
> 500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
> system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.
>
> The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
> when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
> says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
> chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
> removed and it fixed nothing.

Without error messages etc, and the issue of a disabled system restore
the first indications would be a Windows/Software problem/corrupt
registry etc. But it could all be muddled with hardware failure too?

Fully disconnect all network connected devices and try to get PC
functioning as a bare bones device.
Remove one RAM stick, and alternate with other to see if it maybe
a bad memory module.
Check Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for any MS updates/
hotfixes downloaded and installed date/time that may correllate with
the sluggishness manifesting.

XP recovery console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

Outdated/Incorrect/Corrupt device drivers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319908/en-us

Connect/Disconnect network drives XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582

Corrupt user profile in XP, create a new one and transfer data etc.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Buff Steve

On Sep 26, 4:49 pm, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Cementhead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
> > thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.

> > The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
> > firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
> > 500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
> > system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.

> > The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
> > when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
> > says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
> > chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
> > removed and it fixed nothing.

> Without error messages etc, and the issue of a disabled system restore
> the first indications would be a Windows/Software problem/corrupt
> registry etc. But it could all be muddled with hardware failure too?
>
> Fully disconnect all network connected devices and try to get PC
> functioning as a bare bones device.
> Remove one RAM stick, and alternate with other to see if it maybe
> a bad memory module.
> Check Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for any MS updates/
> hotfixes downloaded and installed date/time that may correllate with
> the sluggishness manifesting.
>
> XP recovery consolehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us
>
> Outdated/Incorrect/Corrupt device drivershttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/319908/en-us
>
> Connect/Disconnect network drives XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582
>
> Corrupt user profile in XP, create a new one and transfer data etc.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried everything, new profiles,
dismantling and check RAM individually but nothing worked. In the end
I reloaded a dfifferent version XP. I appreciate the efforts.