Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Any current problems with voip.co.uk

Any current problems with voip.co.uk

Roger Mills

I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my PAP2T -
although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I get a
oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and harshness after a
few seconds.

I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls, but
they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing it all the
time.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Jono

Roger Mills pretended :
> I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
> haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
>
> Is anyone else having similar problems?

Hmm. My sister has just called me from her mobile claiming that her
"landline" wasn't working. (landline=SPA1000 using voip.co.uk)

This seems to be happening about twice a month.

With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

The third month that auto top-up failed, they admitted that the reason
was because they had been stopped from taking debit card payments.

At this point, they did provide a 10 credit limit, which has nearly
(but not quite) been exhausted. There is sufficient available for
chargeable calls though, so you're not on your own.

> I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my PAP2T -
> although I suspect the former!

So do I.

> Whenever I dial a number, I get a
> oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and harshness after a
> few seconds.
>
> I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls, but
> they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing it all the
> time.

Michael

Roger Mills wrote:

> I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no,
> I haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
>
> Is anyone else having similar problems?
>
> I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my
> PAP2T - although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I
> get a oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and
> harshness after a few seconds.
>
> I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls,
> but they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing
> it all the time.

Working fine for calls in and out for me ....

Mick

alexd

Jono wrote:

> With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
> without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
> a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.
>
> This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
> renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November - my 20PA for
off-peak expires then, and I don't have a credit card. Good thing people
use my Sipgate number for incoming!

19:44:17 up 2 days, 9:38, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.01
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

TheMgt

Jono wrote:

> With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
> without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
> a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

I've just topped up with a debit card. It went through OK.

Jono

It happens that TheMgt formulated :
> Jono wrote:
>
>> With regards to credit, how the bloody hell do you top the account up
>> without a credit card - they are unable to take payment by debit card -
>> a situation that has persisted for about 3 months.

> I've just topped up with a debit card. It went through OK.

Meastro cards are the ones they're apparently unable to debit:

Reply received from voip.co.uk on 10/9/07:

"No I'm afraid that we are still not accepting Maestro cards and expect
that this will not change in the near future."

Jono

alexd presented the following explanation :
>> This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
>> renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

> Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November

It was perhaps a sweeping statement to say they couldn't take "Debit
Cards" when, in fact it is specifically Maestro cards they cannot take.

Paul Clarke

"Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
>haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
>
> Is anyone else having similar problems?
>
> I'm not sure whether the problem is with the voip service or with my
> PAP2T - although I suspect the former! Whenever I dial a number, I get a
> oink-oink-oink type noise which increases in frequency and harshness after
> a few seconds.
>
> I sometimes get this almost as a matter of course when making calls, but
> they're usually ok on the 2nd or 3rd attempt - but it's now doing it all
> the time.
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ______
> Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
> monitored..
> Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks. PLEASE REPLY TO
> NEWSGROUP!

My Voip.co.uk connection was entirely out of action (also using PAP2) for
several days - but it suddenly began to work again today - crossing fingers.
Last week Sipgate wasn't working but Voip.co.uk was! Got both at the moment.

Paul

mymail@hotmail.com

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:33:19 +0100, "Roger Mills"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can't currently make any outgoing calls using voip.co.uk (and, no, I
>haven't run out of credit!) but I can receive incoming calls.
>
>Is anyone else having similar problems?

So that was it, at around 4.45 this afternoon I was outside and tried
to make an 0800 call but no joy came back inside around 5 pm and all
was fine I was putting it down to the phone being out of range .

alexd

Jono wrote:

> alexd presented the following explanation :
>>> This inability to accept debit cards caused our monthly UK pack to not
>>> renew, followed by calls being charged that shouldn't have been.

>> Is this still an issue? If so, I'm stuffed in November

> It was perhaps a sweeping statement to say they couldn't take "Debit
> Cards" when, in fact it is specifically Maestro cards they cannot take.

Phew.

08:40:26 up 2 days, 22:34, 1 user, load average: 0.44, 0.14, 0.04
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0