Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems with linksys WAG54GS "Disconnect after certain time"

Problems with linksys WAG54GS "Disconnect after certain time"

schweigerfl@hotmail.com

Hi people,

i have a problem with my linksys modem. I have install my linksys
WAG54GS and it runs fine, but after certain time the internet
connection was broken off. So i logg in one more time an press the
button "connect". It helped but just for a few minutes and then it
disconnect again...

Sometimes the leds "DSL" went off, come back again in 1 hour or more or

i logg in again into the modem and press the button "connect".
Sometimes it went on or not!

Waybe some one of you has the same problem an could help me?
Would be nice....

Thanks for the help
Steven

Lem

> Hi people,
>
> i have a problem with my linksys modem. I have install my linksys
> WAG54GS and it runs fine, but after certain time the internet
> connection was broken off. So i logg in one more time an press the
> button "connect". It helped but just for a few minutes and then it
> disconnect again...
>
> Sometimes the leds "DSL" went off, come back again in 1 hour or more or
>
> i logg in again into the modem and press the button "connect".
> Sometimes it went on or not!
>
> Waybe some one of you has the same problem an could help me?
> Would be nice....
>
> Thanks for the help
> Steven

There can be many reasons why a DSL connection drops. Make sure that you
have not set "connect on demand" to disconnect after a given period of idle
time and that you have set "keep alive" to frequently check to see if you
need to (automatically) re-connect. From the WAG54G manual:

Appendix A: Troubleshooting
Common Problems and Solutions
14. My DSL service’s PPPoE is always disconnecting.
PPPoE is not actually a dedicated or always-on connection. The DSL ISP can
disconnect the service after a period of inactivity, just like a normal
phone dial-up connection to the Internet.
• There is a setup option to “keep alive” the connection. This may not
always work, so you may need to reestablish connection periodically.

1. To connect to the Gateway, go to the web browser, and enter
http://192.168.1.1 or the IP address of the Gateway.
2. Enter the username and password, if asked. (The default username and
password is admin.)
3. On the Setup screen, select the option Keep Alive, and set the Redial
Period option at 20 (seconds).
4. Click the Save Settings button. Click the Status tab, and click the
Connect button.
5. You may see the login status display as Connecting. Press the F5 key to
refresh the screen, until you see the login status display as Connected.
6. Click the Save Settings button to continue.
• If the connection is lost again, follow steps 1- 6 to re-establish
connection.

If this doesn't help, you may need to speak with your ISP's tech support to
see if there' is a problem with your DSL line.