Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What does your implementation process look like?

What does your implementation process look like?

Daan

A question for the regulars / experts in this group: what does your
implementation process look like? I mean: when you need to make a
page, do you work with a designer and 'implement' his design? Do you
design and code the page yourself? Do you have a lot of influence on
the design / implementation of the site, or very little? (I'm
interested in the design / layout / usability aspect of the process,
not the content of the site).

The reason I ask is that often advice is given against e.g. the use of
frames, against adjusting font sizes or use of particular fonts, or
all kinds of 'general' best practices, but I can imagine that your
designer, your client or your boss might disagree.

So, how often can you implement all of the best practices?

Regards,
Daan

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Daan wrote:

> The reason I ask is that often advice is given against e.g. the use of
> frames,

"Frames are evil." ..and a general nuisance to maintain as well. There
is reason for all the numerous pages describing why. Such as:
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

> against adjusting font sizes

No, against *setting* font sizes. Let the visitor decide.

> or use of particular fonts,

There is no point in assigning an oddball font that your visitors will
not have on their computers. Browsers will attempt to fill in with
something the computer *does* have, which may be completely different
than what you envision. (Or they may screw up really bad if you didn't
specify a fallback family.)

> or all kinds of 'general' best practices,

...such as accessibilty, useability...

> but I can imagine that your designer, your client or your boss might
> disagree.

If your 'designer' disagrees with the practice of following standards,
you need a new one. The boss .. well .. try to explain why his wants are
contrary to good web practices.

--
-bts
-Pixel perfection is made of unobtanium

Daan

On Sep 25, 5:22 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Daan wrote:
> > The reason I ask is that often advice is given against e.g. the use of
> > frames,

> "Frames are evil." ..and a general nuisance to maintain as well. There
> is reason for all the numerous pages describing why. Such as:http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
>
> > against adjusting font sizes

> No, against *setting* font sizes. Let the visitor decide.
>
> > or use of particular fonts,

> There is no point in assigning an oddball font that your visitors will
> not have on their computers. Browsers will attempt to fill in with
> something the computer *does* have, which may be completely different
> than what you envision. (Or they may screw up really bad if you didn't
> specify a fallback family.)
>
> > or all kinds of 'general' best practices,

> ..such as accessibilty, useability...
>
> > but I can imagine that your designer, your client or your boss might
> > disagree.

> If your 'designer' disagrees with the practice of following standards,
> you need a new one. The boss .. well .. try to explain why his wants are
> contrary to good web practices.

The point of my post was not debating the advices given. I think they
are all good practices that any web developer should follow. I just
wonder how often the 'experts' or professional web developers in this
group face a situation where they meet resistance when it comes to
applying those advices.

dorayme

In article
<JI9Ki.135295$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Daan wrote:
>
> > The reason I ask is that often advice is given against e.g. the use of
> > frames,

> "Frames are evil." ..and a general nuisance to maintain as well. There
> is reason for all the numerous pages describing why. Such as:
> http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
>
> > against adjusting font sizes

> No, against *setting* font sizes. Let the visitor decide.
>
> > or use of particular fonts,

> There is no point in assigning an oddball font that your visitors will
> not have on their computers. Browsers will attempt to fill in with
> something the computer *does* have, which may be completely different
> than what you envision. (Or they may screw up really bad if you didn't
> specify a fallback family.)
>
> > or all kinds of 'general' best practices,

> ..such as accessibilty, useability...

Not sure what above has to do with OP's question? I reckon you
just simply could not resist the spiel. It must feel too good to
give it. <g>

> > but I can imagine that your designer, your client or your boss might
> > disagree.

> If your 'designer' disagrees with the practice of following standards,
> you need a new one. The boss .. well .. try to explain why his wants are
> contrary to good web practices.

Now you are talking. I can add to the above good advice that if
you are having insurmountable difficulty in a commercial
situation (where you have a boss) getting cooperation on such
things then you might consider becoming an independent
contractor. That way, you call the shots much more. If you are in
control of the whole process, well... Bob is a closer relative
than he might be, he could even be your uncle.

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Daan wrote:
>>> or all kinds of 'general' best practices,

>> ..such as accessibilty, usability...

> Not sure what above has to do with OP's question? I reckon you just
> simply could not resist the spiel.

What????
Accessibility and usability are not general best practices?

> It must feel too good to give it. <g>

That too. <lol>

--
-bts

dorayme

In article
<2fhKi.598684$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Not sure what above has to do with OP's question? I reckon you just
> > simply could not resist the spiel.

> What????

What you said was correct but not really relevant to OPs
question. His question assumed the employee/author knew this
stuff.

> Accessibility and usability are not general best practices?

They are. You are right. But it is not relevant. I know,
amazingly, what is best practice is not always spot on relevant
to all questions. <g>

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:

> What you said was correct but not really relevant to OPs
> question. His question assumed the employee/author knew this
> stuff.

When we know that the implicit assumptions of a question are wrong, then it
is surely relevant to address them. You might decide not to answer at all,
but if you do, why would you answer under assumptions that are known to be
wrong?

It is virtually certain that the employee or author does not know "this
stuff". If you read the original question with open eyes, this should become
obvious.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

asdf

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eRlKi.228892$(E-Mail Removed) ti.fi...
> Scripsit dorayme:
>
>> What you said was correct but not really relevant to OPs
>> question. His question assumed the employee/author knew this
>> stuff.

> When we know that the implicit assumptions of a question are wrong, then
> it is surely relevant to address them. You might decide not to answer at
> all, but if you do, why would you answer under assumptions that are known
> to be wrong?
>
> It is virtually certain that the employee or author does not know "this
> stuff". If you read the original question with open eyes, this should
> become obvious.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

for once, i agree with jukka ) Nice one!

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:32:39
GMT asdf scribed:

>> When we know that the implicit assumptions of a question are wrong,
>> then it is surely relevant to address them. You might decide not to
>> answer at all, but if you do, why would you answer under assumptions
>> that are known to be wrong?
>>
>> It is virtually certain that the employee or author does not know
>> "this stuff". If you read the original question with open eyes, this
>> should become obvious.
>>
>> --
>> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

> for once, i agree with jukka ) Nice one!

I'll bet it doesn't become a habit...

--
Neredbojias

Travis Newbury

On Sep 25, 10:36 am, Daan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A question for the regulars / experts in this group...

hmmmm....

> what does your
> implementation process look like? I mean...

The "best practices" are completely dependent on the project.

> So, how often can you implement all of the best practices?

Well since they can change with every project, we implement them every
time. Don't look for a set of rules that you use every time no matter
what the situation. Each project in unique, and the "best practices"
for that project are equally unique.