Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection made but 'gateway offline'

Wireless connection made but 'gateway offline'

=?Utf-8?B?UG9seXRoZW5lIEdpcmw=?=

I'm sorry that I can't use any technical terms in this post.. I'm not very
good with computers hence me needing help.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron with a Belkin wireless card, and the router
connected to my flatmates pc is a Speedtouch provided by AOL.

I've managed to set up the connection properly, and for about a week it was
working fine. Now when I log on to my laptop the windows box appears at the
bottom telling me that I am connected to the internet. However when I try to
open Internet Explorer, AOL, or sign into MSN Messenger it won't connect.
When I click the repair button on Messenger it tells me that the 'gateway is
offline'.

I've tried all the wizards to try and repair the connections, as well as
reinstalling the Belkin card software and it's made no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
Emma.

Jack

Hi,
Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
actually have a functional Wireless connection.
If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...