Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backing up files to DVD

Backing up files to DVD

Colin

Hello all.

I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
wrong on the existing drives.

I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
programmes to access them (ghost etc).

It must be possible, but how?

--

blanks

Jack Pott

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all.
>
> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
> wrong on the existing drives.
>
> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
>
> It must be possible, but how?

Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
downright cheap.

If you're committed to using DVDs, use one free/cheap backup programs that
will break the large folders across several disks.It sound like you're
really not "backing up" -- just making copies of data from your HD to a DVD.

Jack

Colin

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:

>"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
>> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
>> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
>> wrong on the existing drives.
>>
>> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
>> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
>> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
>> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
>> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
>> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
>>
>> It must be possible, but how?
>>

>Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
>ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
>downright cheap.

I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
place, so if it fails I lose the lot.

>If you're committed to using DVDs, use one free/cheap backup programs that
>will break the large folders across several disks.It sound like you're
>really not "backing up" -- just making copies of data from your HD to a DVD.

Exactly.
--

blanks

Jack Pott

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:
>
>>"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
>>> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
>>> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
>>> wrong on the existing drives.
>>>
>>> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
>>> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
>>> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
>>> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
>>> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
>>> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
>>>
>>> It must be possible, but how?
>>>

>>Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
>>ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
>>downright cheap.

> I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
> anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
> place, so if it fails I lose the lot.

Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
into the Earth before the average HD fails.

I have two external HDs I use-- one I keep in a media safe in my home
office, the other in a safe deposit box at the bank. I swap them out every
few weeks so I'm always pretty current-- and bullet proof if the house burns
and the safe fails.

Also, I taped two hundred dollar bills inside the roof of the safe with a
note to a burglar that says :Hey, do me a favor, take the bills, leave the
drive!"

steve

"Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote >

> Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
> into the Earth before the average HD fails.

I brought two external hard drives. One failed within 8 months. Although
it was under guarantee I could not get a replacement without sending the
faylty one back to the manufacturer, compete with all 3000 of my photos and
the travel diary that was with them. Now I backup on DVD as well.

Colin

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:34:16 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:

>"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:02:42 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:
>>
>>>"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Current backup practice is to back up to an external USB hard drive-- huge
>>>ones (up to 500 GB) are not very expensive. Smaller ones- 160-250 GB are
>>>downright cheap.

>> I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
>> anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
>> place, so if it fails I lose the lot.
>>

>Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
>into the Earth before the average HD fails.
>
>I have two external HDs I use-- one I keep in a media safe in my home
>office, the other in a safe deposit box at the bank. I swap them out every
>few weeks so I'm always pretty current-- and bullet proof if the house burns
>and the safe fails.

I've had three fail in two years.

>Also, I taped two hundred dollar bills inside the roof of the safe with a
>note to a burglar that says :Hey, do me a favor, take the bills, leave the
>drive!"

Lol
--

blanks

old man

I had two fail within a year, both under waranty, and had glowing reviews.

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:34:16 -0400, "Jack Pott" <jack@> wrote:
>

>>"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> I did think of that, and that's pretty much what I am doing now
>>> anyway. I don't like it because that means I have everything in one
>>> place, so if it fails I lose the lot.
>>>

>>Have you looked at the MTBF for hard drives currently? The moon will crash
>>into the Earth before the average HD fails.
>>
>>I have two external HDs I use-- one I keep in a media safe in my home
>>office, the other in a safe deposit box at the bank. I swap them out every
>>few weeks so I'm always pretty current-- and bullet proof if the house
>>burns
>>and the safe fails.

> I've had three fail in two years.
>
>>Also, I taped two hundred dollar bills inside the roof of the safe with a
>>note to a burglar that says :Hey, do me a favor, take the bills, leave the
>>drive!"

> Lol
> --

> blanks

Thip

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all.
>
> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
> wrong on the existing drives.
>
> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
> programmes to access them (ghost etc).
>
> It must be possible, but how?

I had the same problem and never found a solution (just what you wanted to
hear, I know). I ended up orgamizing everything logically--first the MP3's,
then into MP3 subfolders, for instance--and then backing it all up to DVD's.
I have 9 of them, each labeled in such a way I can pretty much locate what I
want quickly (MP3 A thru D, Graphic Utilities, etc.). It took time, BUT
since I got it all off a failed hard drive and onto another drive ( ! ), I
think it was time well spent. Once a year, I copy it all onto new DVD's,
but I keep the old ones. Talk about having backups of backups of backups.
I've had enough media fail to make me very paranoid.

Plato

Colin wrote:

> I have various folders on my PC such as snaps, or MP3s etc, a
> collection going back some years now. In the past I have been copying
> these folders to various hard drives as a backup in case things went
> wrong on the existing drives.
>
> I should now like to play it extra safe and back these folders up to
> DVD discs, which is fine as long as the folders are smaller than about
> 4.5gb (one disc) but these folders are 45gb and 25gb, so I need to
> backup to multiple discs, whilst retaining the ability to use each
> disc in a PC as a folder in it's own right ie: I don't need any
> programmes to access them (ghost etc).

IT's always a good idea to have at least two forms of backup.
Personally, I use 5. You might want to invest in a USP hard drive as
another option to avoid the space problem.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/