Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "Acquiring network address"

"Acquiring network address"

=?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?=

My computer shows that I have a wireless connection, but then permanently
says "aquiring network address." What can I do to connect?!!

Malke

CDA wrote:

> My computer shows that I have a wireless connection, but then
> permanently
> says "aquiring network address." What can I do to connect?!!

It depends on your setup, about which you've told us nothing. The error
means that your computer is set to get its IP address from a DHCP
server, usually a wireless router in home situations. What equipment do
you use? In the meantime, please see these links:

How to write a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Dave

mine has a static ip assigned and the tray icon still says that
occasionally. it doesn't seem to affect how it works. if on the other hand
you can't connect it may mean that the dhcp server isn't working or a
firewall is blocking something.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CDA wrote:
>
>> My computer shows that I have a wireless connection, but then
>> permanently
>> says "aquiring network address." What can I do to connect?!!

> It depends on your setup, about which you've told us nothing. The error
> means that your computer is set to get its IP address from a DHCP
> server, usually a wireless router in home situations. What equipment do
> you use? In the meantime, please see these links:
>
> How to write a good newsgroup post:
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
>
> How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP
>
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

=?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?=

Sorry about my poorly written question, but thank you for your reponse
(computers aren't my thing). My computer runs on Windows XP. The wireless
router is Liksys WRT54G "Broadband Router" I have DSL service through verizon
(Westell 6100) I have never able to completely install the router because no
matter what I do (I've spent hours on the phone with Verizon and Linksys) I
can never get beyond step 7 when an error message "unable to detect router"
comes on. Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network, but
then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I can never
connect. Thanks again for your help!

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 15-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network, but
> then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I can never
> connect. Thanks again for your help!

Start -> All Programs -> accessories -> DOS to get the DOS
command prompt, a black window with a path at the top.
Type
ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
now look in C:\ for file
ipconfig.txt (or do a search for it).
Click on it, or open it with notepad.
Report back with what it says.
There are other useful DOS commands, but that will
do for starters.

=?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?=

Thanks...it says:
Ethernet Adapter LAN 3:
Connection specific DIIS suffix:
IP Address: 0.0.0.0.
Subnet mask:

Ethernet Adapter wnc3
media state: media disconnected

PPP adapter
( lists IP address & subnet address)

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> On 15-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network, but
> > then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I can never
> > connect. Thanks again for your help!

> Start -> All Programs -> accessories -> DOS to get the DOS
> command prompt, a black window with a path at the top.
> Type
> ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
> now look in C:\ for file
> ipconfig.txt (or do a search for it).
> Click on it, or open it with notepad.
> Report back with what it says.
> There are other useful DOS commands, but that will
> do for starters.

=?Utf-8?B?fiB0Yw==?=

I too am having the same problem...
Did linksys talk about how to set up all computers (LAN & wireless)
properly? It seems to me that my router is blocking the IP address for
wireless access.

~ tc

"CDA" wrote:

> Thanks...it says:
> Ethernet Adapter LAN 3:
> Connection specific DIIS suffix:
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0.
> Subnet mask:
>
> Ethernet Adapter wnc3
> media state: media disconnected
>
> PPP adapter
> ( lists IP address & subnet address)
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>

> > On 15-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network, but
> > > then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I can never
> > > connect. Thanks again for your help!

> > Start -> All Programs -> accessories -> DOS to get the DOS
> > command prompt, a black window with a path at the top.
> > Type
> > ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
> > now look in C:\ for file
> > ipconfig.txt (or do a search for it).
> > Click on it, or open it with notepad.
> > Report back with what it says.
> > There are other useful DOS commands, but that will
> > do for starters.

Malke

CDA wrote:

> Sorry about my poorly written question, but thank you for your reponse
> (computers aren't my thing). My computer runs on Windows XP. The
> wireless router is Liksys WRT54G "Broadband Router" I have DSL service
> through verizon
> (Westell 6100) I have never able to completely install the router
> because no matter what I do (I've spent hours on the phone with
> Verizon and Linksys) I can never get beyond step 7 when an error
> message "unable to detect router"
> comes on. Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network,
> but then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I
> can never
> connect. Thanks again for your help!

Sorry to get back to you so late. I just had a client with this problem;
they also use DSL but not from your provider. Short story: the ISP had
given them what *looked* like a regular DSL modem but what was *really*
a combination modem/router. It was a mistake (?) that the ISP had made
when the clients originally subscribed and received the modem.

It required the clients calling a higher level tech support at the ISP
who walked them through setting up their Linksys router with the DSL
modem. So I think you should call your ISP and don't accept the
bottom-tier tech support you get when you first call.

Malke
--

On 16-Jan-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Q0RB?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks...it says:
> Ethernet Adapter LAN 3:
> Connection specific DIIS suffix:
> IP Address: 0.0.0.0.
> Subnet mask:
> Ethernet Adapter wnc3
> media state: media disconnected

Well it is now fairly obvious why it won't talk.
IP address 0.0.0.0 and media disconnected
is not good.
Wouldn't like to diagnose how to get it working
without being in front of the PC.
For starters I'd set a static IP address and subnet
mask in TCP/IP config. Gateway address might be
a problem without more software tools, but as
you are non-tech that is out, as they have a steep
learning curve. The tools I'd use are netstumbler,
since it is a wireless network, and Ethereal to look at
the content of packets, their source, destination and
whether echo requests (ping) are being acknowledged.
It might be digging a deeper hole, but eBay has some
cheap basic ADSL non-router wireless modems.
If your ISP supplies or supports a particular model
of modem that is the obvious choice.
That would get a lot of the router (no router to configure)
problems out of the way. Once you get something working
you can work from there.

Lem

Malke wrote:

> CDA wrote:
>
> > Sorry about my poorly written question, but thank you for your reponse
> > (computers aren't my thing). My computer runs on Windows XP. The
> > wireless router is Liksys WRT54G "Broadband Router" I have DSL service
> > through verizon
> > (Westell 6100) I have never able to completely install the router
> > because no matter what I do (I've spent hours on the phone with
> > Verizon and Linksys) I can never get beyond step 7 when an error
> > message "unable to detect router"
> > comes on. Nonetheless, I know I am connected to the wireless network,
> > but then, as I say, it simply says "acquiring network address" and I
> > can never
> > connect. Thanks again for your help!

> Sorry to get back to you so late. I just had a client with this problem;
> they also use DSL but not from your provider. Short story: the ISP had
> given them what *looked* like a regular DSL modem but what was *really*
> a combination modem/router. It was a mistake (?) that the ISP had made
> when the clients originally subscribed and received the modem.
>
> It required the clients calling a higher level tech support at the ISP
> who walked them through setting up their Linksys router with the DSL
> modem. So I think you should call your ISP and don't accept the
> bottom-tier tech support you get when you first call.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I believe that it is becoming common (SOP?) for ISPs to provide DSL
modem/routers. I know that Earthlink does this. Part of the reason is that
it provides unsophisticated users with a level of security (i.e., the NAT
router) even if they don't have a firewall active when they connect.
Another part of the reason is $$ -- Earthlink, at least, charges $7.95 PER
MONTH for "home networking." Quite a lot of $$, when you consider that you
can do it for the price of router alone.

To its credit, however, EL's first-tier support, as well as its on-line
knowledge base, provides step-by-step instructions for configuring the dsl
modem/router as a dsl modem/bridge.

The DSLReports FAQ for the Verizon Westell 6100 supplies the requisite
info: "How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 (the corresponding FAQ for the BellSouth
Westell 6100 is much more detailed; I haven't checked to see what, if any
differences there are between the Verizon and BellSouth setups:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323) In following the next to last paragraph
of the Verizon Westell FAQ, ("Now (almost done!) hook a cable between the
modem and the router (Verizon usually supplies one), leaving the PC to
router connection in place.") connect to the WAN jack on your Linksys
router.
(Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faqnew and search for westell 6100 for lots
more info)