Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Sigh. Daemon Tools goes commercial or Adware only

Sigh. Daemon Tools goes commercial or Adware only

Charlie Russel - MVP

The first sign of evil was the "search bar" that was automatically included
if you didn't pay attention. But now they've made it mandatory for the Basic
(free) version. No way will they EVER see a dime from me, and I'll now have
to find an alternative to this useful utility that ran quite well in x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jud Hendrix

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:21:33 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No way will they EVER see a dime from me,

Block it from accessing the outside world?

Charlie Russel - MVP

I don't have a problem with programs that are commercial. But "free"
programs that suddenly add in special search bars to your browser and that
pump ads to your machine are simply malware. When you can easily opt out,
_and it's clear up front how to do that_, I can just barely tolerate it.
When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:21:33 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No way will they EVER see a dime from me,

> Block it from accessing the outside world?

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:00:54 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

It does. But unless you have problems, there would be no reason that you
have to upgrade to the newer versions with "forced" adware. I reckon we
will soon see other CD/DVD-emulators pop-up, made under GPL, by the people
who hate this action by the DT-people.

jud

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Jud:
Here's a good place to start the search of another alternative.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...mulators.shtml
Carlos

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:00:54 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

> It does. But unless you have problems, there would be no reason that you
> have to upgrade to the newer versions with "forced" adware. I reckon we
> will soon see other CD/DVD-emulators pop-up, made under GPL, by the people
> who hate this action by the DT-people.
>
> jud

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Here's a freeware one:
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm
with Vista x64 support
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm
http://www.magicdisc.net/setup_magicdisc79.exe
Carlos

"Jud Hendrix" wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:00:54 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

> It does. But unless you have problems, there would be no reason that you
> have to upgrade to the newer versions with "forced" adware. I reckon we
> will soon see other CD/DVD-emulators pop-up, made under GPL, by the people
> who hate this action by the DT-people.
>
> jud

Homer J. Simpson

> The first sign of evil was the "search bar" that was automatically
> included if you didn't pay attention. But now they've made it mandatory
> for the Basic (free) version. No way will they EVER see a dime from me,
> and I'll now have to find an alternative to this useful utility that ran
> quite well in x64.

I've just gone to the download page, and still see 4.10 (which doesn't force
it).

?!

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have a paid copy of MagicISO. Unfortunately, it's pretty flakey on 64bit.
Not sure why, or what the issue is, but I've pretty much stopped using it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a freeware one:
> http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm
> with Vista x64 support
> http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm
> http://www.magicdisc.net/setup_magicdisc79.exe
> Carlos
>
> "Jud Hendrix" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:00:54 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

>> It does. But unless you have problems, there would be no reason that you
>> have to upgrade to the newer versions with "forced" adware. I reckon we
>> will soon see other CD/DVD-emulators pop-up, made under GPL, by the
>> people
>> who hate this action by the DT-people.
>>
>> jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

4.10 Lite is on the DL page. The last version that doesn't force it for the
full product is 4.09.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:%23DpkwMg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The first sign of evil was the "search bar" that was automatically
>> included if you didn't pay attention. But now they've made it mandatory
>> for the Basic (free) version. No way will they EVER see a dime from me,
>> and I'll now have to find an alternative to this useful utility that ran
>> quite well in x64.

> I've just gone to the download page, and still see 4.10 (which doesn't
> force it).
>
> ?!

Charlie Russel - MVP

There are some others, just none I liked nearly as much as Daemon. Many of
the others are, at best, flakey. I _just_ need the ability to mount DVD/CD
ISOs as drive letters. Preferably with a graphical interface, since I'm lazy
and can't be bothered with learning a command line for this, even though I
do command line for many, many things.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64