Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > computer powerup weirdness

computer powerup weirdness

dennis

Hi All...
Built my conroe core 2 duo a few months ago and kinda mothballed my 2.4ghz
northwood system.

Now that I have a little bit of time I decided to clean up the system (both
inside and out) and put an ad for it on craigslist or ebay...

When I attempted to power it up it did not come up... the keepalive light
was lit on the motherboard but that's about it (that turned on when the ac
was turned on the ps). At this time the fan for the ps wouldn't even run.

I did the trick when you unplug the 24 (or is it 20 pin) connector and short
out the green wire with a black wire... the powersupply lit up. Ok
seemingly not a powersupply issue.

The system is:
asus p4t433-c motherboard
2.4ghz northwood P4
1gb 1066 rambus ram (not sure of the vendor... 4x256)
60/160gb maxtor drives
diamond x1600 pro (512mb)
450w ps

I was about to give up on it and maybe sell the ram and video card on ebay
when it powered up by itself. I have since subsequently shut it down and
was able to bring it up with no problems...

any ideas?

tia
Dennis

dennis

"dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5r0Ji.181$D%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All...
> Built my conroe core 2 duo a few months ago and kinda mothballed my 2.4ghz
> northwood system.
>
> Now that I have a little bit of time I decided to clean up the system
> (both inside and out) and put an ad for it on craigslist or ebay...
>
> When I attempted to power it up it did not come up... the keepalive light
> was lit on the motherboard but that's about it (that turned on when the ac
> was turned on the ps). At this time the fan for the ps wouldn't even run.
>
> I did the trick when you unplug the 24 (or is it 20 pin) connector and
> short out the green wire with a black wire... the powersupply lit up. Ok
> seemingly not a powersupply issue.
>
> The system is:
> asus p4t433-c motherboard
> 2.4ghz northwood P4
> 1gb 1066 rambus ram (not sure of the vendor... 4x256)
> 60/160gb maxtor drives
> diamond x1600 pro (512mb)
> 450w ps
>
> I was about to give up on it and maybe sell the ram and video card on ebay
> when it powered up by itself. I have since subsequently shut it down and
> was able to bring it up with no problems...
>
> any ideas?
>
> tia
> Dennis

turned out to be the bios battery.

Dennis

Network printer not responding to spool on powerup. BudV Wireless Networking 15 05-05-2006 11:49 PM
CPLD Powerup RESET john VHDL 1 08-30-2005 03:01 AM
VHDL powerup reset module for Altera FPGA lsha VHDL 0 06-11-2004 06:44 PM
Tecra 9100 powerup prob Matt Computer Support 0 11-07-2003 09:52 AM
windows won't start on first powerup William Computer Support 7 09-21-2003 06:25 AM

Advertisments