Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Is this a correct place to ask questions on GDB

Is this a correct place to ask questions on GDB

parag_paul@hotmail.com

If yes
I am having trouble with debugging C++ constructors.
A lot of code is there in the construcutor and it is becoming
increasingly difficult to debug them as the debugger does not step
into the correct file and line no.

I have changed the dir variable to point to the correct location but
nothing helps.
Can anybody tell me about any suggestions.
Asking here becoz many using C++ will also be using the debugger.

We have a compiler that creates an executable.( the compiler is
written in C++) . now the executable will run calling all these
constructors. Do you think, objcopy or optmizing the symbols names in
the executable leads to GDB behaving wonky
-Parag

Phlip

parag_paul wrote:

> I am having trouble with debugging C++ constructors.

What do your unit tests say about them?

> the executable leads to GDB behaving wonky

You'll get the best answer on GDB's home forum. This newsgroup is only
qualified to discuss the raw C++ language itself.

--
Phlip

Alf P. Steinbach

> If yes
> I am having trouble with debugging C++ constructors.
> A lot of code is there in the construcutor and it is becoming
> increasingly difficult to debug them as the debugger does not step
> into the correct file and line no.

You can try to factor out that code as separate functions.

It's a also a good idea to use asserts.

And to reduce the code to an absolutely minimum example that works, and
build up from that.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

BTW., use of particular debuggers is off-topic in clc++m.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

red floyd