Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't Convert Mk III Files With DNG Converter (Parsing Error)!!

Can't Convert Mk III Files With DNG Converter (Parsing Error)!!

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has sparked
my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
"There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have to
download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
mine.

Rita

Robert Brace

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
> sparked
> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
> "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
> this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
> Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have to
> download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by anyone
> it
> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
> Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
> future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
> converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
> mine.

Rita

Rita:
For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and convert the
1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held hostage all right, to
the tune of a FREE converter download!
For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever mentioned,
I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
"unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the Canon
1DIII.
Bob

Scott W

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has sparked
> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
> "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
> this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
> Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have to
> download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by
> anyone it
> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
> Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
> future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
> converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good as
> mine.

SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

Scott

Robert Brace wrote:

>> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
>> sparked
>> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I
>> get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using
>> v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the
>> latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
>> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
>> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
>> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
>> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
>> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
>> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess
>> is as good as mine.

> Rita:
> For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and
> convert the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held
> hostage all right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!

Yes, I did that and it, well, works. That's not the point. The issue is
what if Adobe decides they don't want to support a certain make or brand of
camera? The point is if I want to put all my eggs in one basket it is more
logical to put it in the basket where the goose that shits the golden egg
puts its eggs, which would be the Nikon and Canon basket. So much for the
DNG bullshit future proofing.

> For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
> mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
> "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the
> Canon 1DIII.

I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK III
focuses just fine. Should I be concerned?

Rita

Scott W wrote:

>> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
>> sparked my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to
>> DNG. I get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm
>> using v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to
>> the latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
>> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
>> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
>> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
>> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
>> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
>> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess
>> is as good as mine.

> SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
> with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

I don't care but I have to see all that ****ing DNG SPAM! I agree that it's
a non-issue, but I really hate to see some uninformed person buy into his
bullshit and delete all their original RAW files. There are people out here
that I thought would have the intelligence to save the original RAW files,
but I see they are stupid enough to delete them. They will be kicking
themselves in the ass 5 or 10 years from now.

Rita

Annika1980

On Sep 22, 1:21 pm, Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> SO who cares? I mean how many people, other then Barry, are bothering
> with DNG? This seems like a non-issue to me.

Hey, isn't that what I've been saying?
Expertly put.

Robert Brace

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Brace wrote:
>
>>> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
>>> sparked
>>> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I
>>> get "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using
>>> v3.4x89. Does this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the
>>> latest version? Damn! Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I
>>> guess this means that I have to download the newest version? I
>>> think if I must be held hostage by anyone it
>>> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the
>>> conversion. Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that
>>> there will be any future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will
>>> Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your
>>> guess
>>> is as good as mine.

>> Rita:
>> For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and
>> convert the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held
>> hostage all right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!

> Yes, I did that and it, well, works. That's not the point. The issue is
> what if Adobe decides they don't want to support a certain make or brand
> of
> camera? The point is if I want to put all my eggs in one basket it is
> more
> logical to put it in the basket where the goose that shits the golden egg
> puts its eggs, which would be the Nikon and Canon basket. So much for the
> DNG bullshit future proofing.
>
>> For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
>> mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
>> "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the
>> Canon 1DIII.

> I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK III
> focuses just fine. Should I be concerned? Rita

Not if you don't have the problem nor expect it in the future.
However, I subscribe to the notion of "where there's smoke---------------".
The fact that many other "early adopters" have run into the problem would
give me pause (at least until Canon are reliably reported to have properly
eliminated it).
Bob

Robert Brace wrote:

>> I haven't run across that problem. Even with "L" glass the old MK
>> III focuses just fine. Should I be concerned? Rita

> Not if you don't have the problem nor expect it in the future.
> However, I subscribe to the notion of "where there's
> smoke---------------". The fact that many other "early adopters" have
> run into the problem would give me pause (at least until Canon are
> reliably reported to have properly eliminated it).

I think that most people buying Canons realize that they will go through at
least six firmware upgrades in the first year and possibly a trip to the
service center for "Error 99" repairs and/or focusing issues. This is
nothing new and is basically akin to rolling the dice. Some people get
lucky while some don't. I have read a few horror stories about the Mk III
as well as a bunch of good stories. I took the chance and am happy I did.

Rita

D-Mac

"Robert Brace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well tickle my as with a willow stick! All this talk about DNG has
>> sparked
>> my curiosity so I decided I'd do a quick batch conversion to DNG. I get
>> "There was an error parsing this file" message! I'm using v3.4x89. Does
>> this mean I have to update my DNG converter to the latest version? Damn!
>> Talk about being held hostage by Adobe! I guess this means that I have
>> download the newest version? I think if I must be held hostage by anyone
>> it
>> be Nikon and Canon since they have the proper source for the conversion.
>> Don't let Barry lie to you and get you to believe that there will be any
>> future compatibility with your equipment and DNG. Will Adobe write a
>> converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4? Your guess is as good
>> as
>> mine.

> Rita
>

> Rita:
> For Chrissakes download the FREE latest converter (v4.2) and convert
> the 1DIII files to your heart's content. Yah, you're held hostage all
> right, to the tune of a FREE converter download!
> For one who purports to be an expert on about everything ever
> mentioned, I'm amazed you didn't know what will support that so-called
> "unable-to-focus-in-bright-light" technological wonder called the Canon
> 1DIII.
> Bob

The "held hostage" bit is Canon's doing. They use a small piece of code to
ID the files - and stuff up any 3rd part converter as well. The guys doing
the free "Irfanview" plugins know all about it and how to get around it too.

Don't be so quick to blame Adobe. They work with alien RAW standards that
change from model to model. Given that struggle, they do a pretty fair job
of it.

Doug

Barry Pearson

On Sep 22, 4:45 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Will Adobe write a converter for the insanely awesome Mk IV and D4?
> Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm sure you have already guessed that they will! (Unless you are
blind to experience so far).

And several other people have written DNG converters to suit their own
needs. Most DNG converters were written by people/companies other than
Adobe. With DNG, people are not locked into Adobe. DNG increases the
choices of tools and workflows available to photographers.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/