Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Does linux support my new widescreen monitor

Re: Does linux support my new widescreen monitor

sully1999@gmail.com

Linux should support it.

Making it actually work is an entirely different kettle of fish.

There is a reason why Newegg and other manufacturers don't bother
certifying Linux to work
with their hardware and that is the market for Linux is so small it
isn't worth wasting the glue for the sticker on.

Linux: When your time has no value.

On Sep 22, 3:40 pm, "Judge Dredd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying this widescreen from NewEgg

> The monitor is advertised as being "Windows Vista Certified" so it will
> obviously work with Vista. But I'm concerned if it will work with linux
> because it doesn't say anything about being "Linux Certified."
>
> Will linux be able to automatically use the 1920x1200 resolution or will
> have need to tweak some config files to get the full resolution. I worry
> about editing config files becase I don't type too good and if I make a
> mistake I worry that I will have no video at all.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Scott -

Stephan Rose

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:32:00 -0700, sully1999 wrote:

> Linux should support it.
>
> Making it actually work is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Very true. Plugging the cable into the connector on the back of the video
card and then pushing the power button on that monitor is an extremely
difficult task. Oh and, don't forget to plug in the power cord.

> There is a reason why Newegg and other manufacturers don't bother
> certifying Linux to work
> with their hardware and that is the market for Linux is so small it
> isn't worth wasting the glue for the sticker on.
>
> Linux: When your time has no value.

Vista: When you should be getting reimbursed for your time using it.

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから

Tattoo Vampire

> Linux: When your time has no value.

(E-Mail Removed): When you want to hear someone speak while
simultaneously licking their own privates.

Tim Smith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Stephan Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Very true. Plugging the cable into the connector on the back of the video
> card and then pushing the power button on that monitor is an extremely
> difficult task. Oh and, don't forget to plug in the power cord.

Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for
many.

--
--Tim Smith

Charlie Tame

Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Stephan Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Very true. Plugging the cable into the connector on the back of the video
>> card and then pushing the power button on that monitor is an extremely
>> difficult task. Oh and, don't forget to plug in the power cord.

> Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for
> many.

Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things get
easier all the time.

Stephan Rose

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:30:47 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

> Tim Smith wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Stephan Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Very true. Plugging the cable into the connector on the back of the
>>> video card and then pushing the power button on that monitor is an
>>> extremely difficult task. Oh and, don't forget to plug in the power
>>> cord.

>> Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for
>> many.
>>

> Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things get
> easier all the time.

Matter of fact it's so easy that with the upcoming October Release, it
has hot plug monitor and driver support. So you can change monitors all
you want, drivers all you want, all on the fly without ever rebooting or
even seeing a command line.

Now try to change a driver under Vista without rebooting.

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから

Charlie Tame

Stephan Rose wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:30:47 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:
>
>> Tim Smith wrote:
>>> Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for
>>> many.
>>>

>> Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things get
>> easier all the time.

> Matter of fact it's so easy that with the upcoming October Release, it
> has hot plug monitor and driver support. So you can change monitors all
> you want, drivers all you want, all on the fly without ever rebooting or
> even seeing a command line.
>
> Now try to change a driver under Vista without rebooting.

Well I have to admit that a year or two back Linux was sadly lacking in
friendliness, but it seems that the community has switched resources
toward competing with "Windows" on this topic and preserving the
existing security while MS has been forced to try and backwards engineer
security into the "Easy" system. Actually UAC seems to me to be trying
to "Emulate" the more GUI oriented Linux but for appearances only.

I mean obviously a user with the PW can screw up Linux security if they
want to, same applies to Vista, but WRT UAC I think there's more
incentive to set about screwing it up.

I take some of Dennis' points that Linux is not as secure as (Say) some
military system, but hey, I'd expect military systems to be operated by
trained people for specific purposes, not editing MP3s one minute and
launching missiles the next, could give a whole new meaning to "All
Shook Up" or "Bomb the Bass"...

That said it is not Linux but the Unix philosophy or model on which it
is based that is inherently better, and there is no blame attached to
Microsoft for this per-se, much has changed since W95, however I do
think maybe they would have done better to design a more isolated core
than to continue this never ending "Integration" between Apps like IE
and the OS itself.

As for compatibility, well, I seen no real need for our server at work
to look and feel like XP, but it does, as do all the rest of them.
Having system updates brought in by a "Browser" for example seems
counter intuitive when you think about it.

dennis@home

"Charlie Tame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5Zj%23gh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tim Smith wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Stephan Rose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Very true. Plugging the cable into the connector on the back of the
>>> video card and then pushing the power button on that monitor is an
>>> extremely difficult task. Oh and, don't forget to plug in the power
>>> cord.

>> Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge for
>> many.
>>

> Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things get
> easier all the time.

Yes Ubuntu sets 1280x768 on my widescreen monitor automatically.
Shame its a 1280 x 720 lcd panel.
Just as well I can change it but I wonder how many newbies would fail?
XP and Vista get it right BTW.

Charlie Tame

dennis@home wrote:

> "Charlie Tame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5Zj%23gh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tim Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Getting the video modes right can sometimes be a bit of a challenge
>>> for many.
>>>

>> Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things
>> get easier all the time.

> Yes Ubuntu sets 1280x768 on my widescreen monitor automatically.
> Shame its a 1280 x 720 lcd panel.
> Just as well I can change it but I wonder how many newbies would fail?
> XP and Vista get it right BTW.

Well maybe you should follow your own advice as offered to many here on
occasions and blame the manufacturer for using a non standard
resolution, or blame the user for not doing research into Ubuntu
requirements before installing. These kinds of comments work both ways

dennis@home

"Charlie Tame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ejYHyYi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dennis@home wrote:
>>
>> "Charlie Tame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u5Zj%23gh$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yes it can but Ubuntu is easier than most and these kinds of things get
>>> easier all the time.

>> Yes Ubuntu sets 1280x768 on my widescreen monitor automatically.
>> Shame its a 1280 x 720 lcd panel.
>> Just as well I can change it but I wonder how many newbies would fail?
>> XP and Vista get it right BTW.

> Well maybe you should follow your own advice as offered to many here on
> occasions and blame the manufacturer for using a non standard resolution,
> or blame the user for not doing research into Ubuntu requirements before
> installing.

Don't be stupid 1280x720 is a standard format. It is one of the two HDTV
formats.
A user shouldn't really need to research to see if an OS supports a standard
display mode.
There are plenty of OSes that do support it out of the box including some
Linux distros.

> These kinds of comments work both ways

Only if someone has a distorted view of the world.