Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backups

Backups

philo

After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
finally finished it up last week.
Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.

I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
the video was going to be used).

Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
had plenty of backups.

Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead

Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
recreted my DVD at that point...
so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...

No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
then she gulped hard.

Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
DVD.

She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
*DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.

I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
"master record" are over...

Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

philo wrote:
> After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
> finally finished it up last week.
> Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
> done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.
>
> I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
> the video was going to be used).
>

> Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
> had plenty of backups.
>
> Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead
>

> Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
> recreted my DVD at that point...
> so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...
>
> No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
> then she gulped hard.
>
> Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
> DVD.
>
> She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
> *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
>

> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
> "master record" are over...
>
> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

Glad the story didn't end with any slit wrists.

philo

snip>

I told her I'd have to recreate the
>> DVD.
>>
>> She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
>> *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
>>

>> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
>> "master record" are over...
>>
>> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

> Glad the story didn't end with any slit wrists.

No slit wrists...

My favorite poet, John Giorno once wrote a poem about a man who committed
suicide.

he woke up into a new world where everything was exactly the same...

only a little bit worse...

A good incentive to just push-on no matter what !

Bill Stout

philo wrote:
> After working of a large video presentation for over three months...I
> finally finished it up last week.
> Although I was making incrimental backups...I was pretty tired when I got
> done...so just made one DVD master and shut the machine down.
>
> I gave the master to my girlfriend and she took it to work with her (where
> the video was going to be used).
>

> Yesterday I decided that I better burn a few more DVD's just to be sure I
> had plenty of backups.
>
> Yep, my drive was completely and irretrievably dead
>

> Although I had the MP3 file saved elsewhere...I still would have had to have
> recreted my DVD at that point...
> so I asked my GF if she had the master with her...
>
> No, she replied...It's at work...I hope it's OK...
> then she gulped hard.
>
> Not that it was a major big deal...but I told her I'd have to recreate the
> DVD.
>
> She looked worried and said: Don't know if it will be of much use...but I
> *DO* have a copy of your master CD in my purse.
>

> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
> "master record" are over...
>
> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.

Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?

Bill

philo

<snip>

> > I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
> > "master record" are over...
> >
> > Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.
> >

> Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?
>
> Bill

Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me hours
to upload even 500 megs of data.

Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two different
machines...
plus at least a DVD or two

Bill Stout

philo wrote:
> <snip>
>>> I started to laugh and told her that the days of the "master tape" or
>>> "master record" are over...
>>>
>>> Anyway I've got quite a few backups made now.
>>>

>> Have you considered the 2GB free backup at www.mozy.com?
>>
>> Bill

> Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me hours
> to upload even 500 megs of data.
>
> Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two different
> machines...
> plus at least a DVD or two

I had 1.5 megabit DL speed, UL quite a bit slower? DSL and it took
a couple of days, but once it's up there it's there, and,
configured to run increments daily, only takes a fraction of the time.

Bill

philo

> > Not a bad idea...but I have the "low priced" DSL and it would take me

hours
> > to upload even 500 megs of data.
> >
> > Most of my important stuff is on two or three HD's on at least two

different
> > machines...
> > plus at least a DVD or two
> >

> I had 1.5 megabit DL speed, UL quite a bit slower? DSL and it took
> a couple of days, but once it's up there it's there, and,
> configured to run increments daily, only takes a fraction of the time.

Not sure what the speed is, but my *upload* speed is very slow!!!!

Case Study: Backups Explained Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-24-2005 09:29 PM
Thunderbird Backups Bob Oldridge Firefox 1 01-22-2005 10:23 PM
Bookmark backups graeme@invalid Firefox 5 11-11-2004 10:09 PM
Backups sesquialtera Firefox 3 08-03-2004 09:19 PM
BACKUPS, BACKUPS, & BACKUPS. Software Mania MCSE 10 11-11-2003 01:22 AM

Advertisments