Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP welcome screen password work-around?

WinXP welcome screen password work-around?

Marko

I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished Everet)
who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
gain access to her desktop.

Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic trial-and-
error or restoring the OS?

Thank you for taking the time.

Marko

--
Tweek: What if the snowman comes to life and tries to kill me?
Stan (annoyed): How many times has that ever happened, except for that one

who'sthat

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:39:53 GMT, Marko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished Everet)
>who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
>gain access to her desktop.
>
>Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic trial-and-
>error or restoring the OS?
>
>Thank you for taking the time.
>
>Marko

What did you get when you typed "xp home screen password reset"?
You need to learn how to help yourself.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Marko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished Everet)
>who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
>gain access to her desktop.
>
>Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic trial-and-
>error or restoring the OS?

At the user prompt type in:
administrator
for password just press ENTER

if you get in go to control panel/user accounts and get a new password
for the account you messed up. Leave the admin account as is.

--

MS will Downgrade you from preinstalled Vista to XP.
http://www.news.com/The-XP-alternati...3-6209481.html

meerkat

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished
>Everet)
> who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now
> can't
> gain access to her desktop.
>
> Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic
> trial-and-
> error or restoring the OS?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Larry

Then why is this newsgroup in existence?

Larry

"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:39:53 GMT, Marko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished
Everet)
: >who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
: >gain access to her desktop.
: >
: >Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic
trial-and-
: >error or restoring the OS?
: >
: >Thank you for taking the time.
: >
: >Marko
: What did you get when you typed "xp home screen password reset"?
: You need to learn how to help yourself.

Blinky the Shark

Larry wrote:
> Then why is this newsgroup in existence?

1. It's a tax write off for the cabal [tinc].

2. http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

> Larry
>
> "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>: On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:39:53 GMT, Marko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished
> Everet)
>: >who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
>: >gain access to her desktop.
>: >
>: >Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic
> trial-and-
>: >error or restoring the OS?
>: >
>: >Thank you for taking the time.
>: >
>: >Marko
>: What did you get when you typed "xp home screen password reset"?
>: You need to learn how to help yourself.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

who'sthat

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:49:48 -0600, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Then why is this newsgroup in existence?
>
>Larry
>
>"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>: On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:39:53 GMT, Marko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >I have a friend who's running WinXP (home edition, on a refurbished
>Everet)
>: >who committed a typo resetting the welcome screen password and now can't
>: >gain access to her desktop.
>: >
>: >Is there any way to get around that mistake, other than frantic
>trial-and-
>: >error or restoring the OS?
>: >
>: >Thank you for taking the time.
>: >
>: >Marko
>: What did you get when you typed "xp home screen password reset"?
>: You need to learn how to help yourself.

So you can learn how to help yourself.

Marko

"meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FJeJi.8435$HW.8066@newsfe3-
gui.ntli.net:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Thanks very much, meerkat. Gracias. Obrigato. Hse-hse. Etc.

Marko

--
Butters (to calves): Good night, Patches. Good night, Halloway.
Good night, Neptune. Good night, Davis. Good night, Bud.