Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "PC/IF" Port ?

"PC/IF" Port ?

Robert11

Hello,

Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.

This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
stuff.

So,

What is a PC/IF" port, please ?

My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
serial and a parallel port.

What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?

Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.

Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

why?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:13:58 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
>allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.

Forgotten what model it was, you didn't say.

>This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
>stuff.

RTFM first.

>So,
>
>What is a PC/IF" port, please ?

PC / InterFace.

>My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
>serial and a parallel port.
>
>What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
>with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?

With no details can you answer this question?

>Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
>the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.

With no details can you answer this question?

>Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

With no details can you answer this question?

>Thanks,
>Bob

If you get around to finding the model numver there are several
rec.radio , alt-ham-radio newsgroups, some are very specific topics and
not for your question.

Maybe alt.radio.scanner
rec.radio.scanner

Have a browse first from.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.radio.scanner/topics

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.scanner/topics
the first 2 posts are posting guidelines and welcome info.

Me

Evan Platt

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:13:58 -0400, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF" port" for
>allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency info., etc.
>
>This is a new one on me, but have to admit that I'm not too sharp with this
>stuff.
>
>So,
>
>What is a PC/IF" port, please ?
>
>My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports, and a
>serial and a parallel port.
>
>What would I have to add to my PC to be able to allow my PC to communicate
>with the scanner radio's PC/IF" port ?
>
>Would sure prefer something external and simple, so I don't have to get into
>the PC case, which is hard for me now at my age.
>
>Any type of conversion cable, or... ?

PC/IF Is PC/Interface.

You didn't mention the name of the scanner, so I can't tell you. But
you need to look in the manual for the scanner and see - the cable
will likely either be USB or serial. If it's serial and your computer
doesn't have a serial port, you can buy a USB to serial adapter.

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Expect to be buying a radio scanner that apparently has a "PC/IF"
> port" for allowing the PC to talk to the radio to download frequency
> info., etc.

Specifically what brand modelno scanner are you talking about?

Uniden sells scanners which have a port for data transfer which cable
connects to the computer's serial port.

> My PC is a 3 year old Dell, with just a few USB (the old type) ports,
> and a serial and a parallel port.

This old article refers to that scanner-serial connectivity as a PC/IF
cable http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Wi...es/cables.html

That article also mentions USB cable connectivity.

--
Mike Easter