Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives

Losing Drives - Finding Drives - Losing Drives

mel@no.spam.com

I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all
current updates)

Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s)

A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the
store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it
stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he
sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death.
(I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had
gotten zapped. )

After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my
2 outboard drives - E: and F:. Not knowing at the time about the MY
COMPUTER | MANAGE bit, I mistakenly went into the F2 comp setup and
changed something in there which referred to drives being on or off. I
now have each drive showing "on."

After I found out about the MY COMPUTER | DISK MANAGEMENT method of
rescanning the drives, I did get my outboard E: and F: drives back.
However, when I turned my comp on today, I find the F: drive is missing
again, and it is not showing up as it previously had yesterday in DISK
MANAGEMENT. (Heck, even my virtual BestCrypt drives show up if I mount
them. They are on the E: drive.)

The drives shown in the F2 setup are:

Diskette Drive A:
SATA 0 (C: drive)
SATA 1 (Unknown)
SATA 2 (Unknown)
SATA 3 (Unknown)
PATA 0 (CD ROM)

To say again:
I have one internal HD, which is my C: drive
I have two outboard hard drives, which are my E: & F: drives
I have a single CD drive
I have a single floppy A: drive

The F: drive, which is the one I am not seeing today, is good. It is a
Seagate which I hooked up (USB) to my wife's comp and it showed all my
files.

It also takes my comp almost a minute to reboot. During that time I see
only a blank screen.

I hope someone can solve this, because the comp repair guys in my area
are not too swift. I learned that the hard way - and the expensive way.

carl@no.spam.com

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:33:01 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm using a Dell 8400 w/Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2 - with all
>current updates)
>
>Problem: My comp can't find my drive(s)
>
>A few days back I bought some memory for my comp. The clerk in the
>store read the original packing slip from 3-4 years back on which it
>stated which type of memory my comp had. When I put in the memory he
>sold me, the comp went weird and came up with the blue screen of death.
>(I was grounded to the comp's metal chassis. so I doubt if the chips had
>gotten zapped. )
>
>After I took the memory out, I saw that my comp was no longer finding my
>2 outboard drives - E: and F:. Not knowing at the time about the MY
>COMPUTER | MANAGE bit, I mistakenly went into the F2 comp setup and
>changed something in there which referred to drives being on or off. I
>now have each drive showing "on."
>
>After I found out about the MY COMPUTER | DISK MANAGEMENT method of
>rescanning the drives, I did get my outboard E: and F: drives back.
>However, when I turned my comp on today, I find the F: drive is missing
>again, and it is not showing up as it previously had yesterday in DISK
>MANAGEMENT. (Heck, even my virtual BestCrypt drives show up if I mount
>them. They are on the E: drive.)
>
>The drives shown in the F2 setup are:
>
>Diskette Drive A:
>SATA 0 (C: drive)
>SATA 1 (Unknown)
>SATA 2 (Unknown)
>SATA 3 (Unknown)
>PATA 0 (CD ROM)
>
>To say again:
>I have one internal HD, which is my C: drive
>I have two outboard hard drives, which are my E: & F: drives
>I have a single CD drive
>I have a single floppy A: drive
>
>The F: drive, which is the one I am not seeing today, is good. It is a
>Seagate which I hooked up (USB) to my wife's comp and it showed all my
>files.
>
>It also takes my comp almost a minute to reboot. During that time I see
>only a blank screen.
>
>I hope someone can solve this, because the comp repair guys in my area
>are not too swift. I learned that the hard way - and the expensive way.

I did leave out one teeny bit of info -

When I boot the comp, it does not boot into Windows. It goes to a black
and white screen showing the following:

Drive 1 Not found
Drive 2 Not found
Drive 3 Not found
Drive 5 Not found

Use F1 to Continue or F2 to enter Setup

(I have no idea what happened to Drive 4.)

mel@no.spam.com

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:14:06 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Sorry, I used the wrong munged name (Carl) on the last post. It's still
Mel. : o)